1.    #1  
    Hello all,

This is my first post and I could not find a thread about this in either this forum or the CDMA one. My apologies if there is and I would love a link to it.

I currently have a treo 600 and would like to upgrade to the 700wx but don't want to pay $45 for a data plan. I spoke to their data cust svc reps and they said I can put a block on the data plan and would only lose text messaging capability, which is fine but can anyone verify that is the case?

Thanks,

Joe
    I dont know why'd you would lose text messaging capabilities, because that doesn't use the data connection.

Why not switch to Sprint and pay $15 a month for unlimited data. 30 dollars a month savings would negate any fees after a year or so, then you would just start saving money after that..
  3.    #3  
    That's why I was asking... the rep said you would since it uses the data connection to send the texts but I see they still offer plans w/ data and text msgs...

I considered moving to spring but I don't get decent signal strength in my area. Plus if I change to sprint and then leave it's 200 Early Term Fee x 2 phones....
    I totally understand not wanting to get hosed on an overpriced data plan by VZW, when you can save money with Sprint. But seriously consider data no matter where you end up, because having a Treo with no data plan is like having a car with no gas. Sure, it's nice, and it's fun to look at and push the buttons, but you're really not getting the most out of it.

That being said, if it's not in your budget, you still have the sweetest phone around.
    END OF LINE
    They were somewhat correct: you will lose out on MMS because the pictures require Data. That's probably what they meant. SMS will work without Data.
  6.    #6  
    Ah that makes sense now... I would love to afford a data plan but adding 600 bux to my yearly phone bill will have to wait until I can get rid some other bills. Text msgs are the only kind I would get anyway so it looks like I can upgrade w/o any loss of functionality. I am hesitant to leave VZW since I get signal in places that other networks can't.

Plus I will be getting the "drop it or throw it and we replace it" insurance for 6 bux a month and that is bad enuff.
  7.    #7  
    Correction: In places I usually go anyway...
    Say you move to Sprint and get a SERO (500Min+Unlted Data) plan, that's $30. Worried about reception? Add $5 and get unlimited roaming onto Verizon's Network = $35. The minimum with Verizon+Data = $80.

Monthly Difference = $45
    That $200 ETF will pay for itself after about 4 months of service (that's if you went ahead with data). Worth it imo!
  9.    #9  
    I thought about that but I have a family share plan for 2 phones and at VZW 1400 minutes cost 89.99 same as at sprint... I basically sit at a desk all day unless I am at a meeting or something so I don't really need data on the go or anything. It would be cool to get maps or something but I just can't justify the expense or the switch at the moment....
  10.    #10  
    PS You guys are great btw.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I have the 700wx with the "pay-as-you-go" plan.

I delete the dial to 777 and have it just connect to "work". "So when I'm conncted to the bluetooth on my computer I am connected to the internet."

I can text message with no problems anytime!!

Not sure what the rep meant.

Hope this helps.

Paul G
  12.    #12  
    Hey Paul,

Can I get some more detail on what you mean by "work". It might be worth getting a usb bluetooth dongle and bringing that when I work at a PC w/o bluetooth.

Thanks,

Joe
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_mcp View Post
    Hey Paul,

Can I get some more detail on what you mean by "work". It might be worth getting a usb bluetooth dongle and bringing that when I work at a PC w/o bluetooth.

Thanks,

Joe
    If you go to "connections", "advanced", "select networks".... then select "My Work Network" instead of "My ISP"....

This allows me to have internet access when I am connected through activesync on bluetooth.

Paul G
    My daughters Treo doesn't have a data plan but I got her a wifi card so that when she's at college she's still connected or at home for that matter. If Verizon would price their data as reasonably as sprints I would sign her up in a heart beat. Anyway the guys are right my treo has the unlimited data plan and it's amazing the uses's you find for it....
  15.    #15  
    That is my plan exactly.. I see a nice wireless G card for $99