Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have checked the Sticky threads and performed searches, but I still cannot settle on a good backup program. I am looking for a backup program which will work best with the new Verizon 700wx which is configured to synch wirelessly (with push) to a corporate server. I have a 2GB storage card and would like to be able to back up from the storage card. The backup program, restore and all other features would have to operate independently of, and not interfere with (or be interfered with by) the wireless ActiveSync.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for you help!
    I use spb backup. I then backup everything except pim data. once I restore I then enter my exchange info and receive all my pim info. this for me was the only way to not receive duplicate entries.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    I use the free Sprite Back Up and it seems to work well.
    Treo 700WX - VZW
    I have used Spb for a long time and absolutely love it. Very reliable.
    END OF LINE
    I use both programs.

I've used Sprite for several years and it is the fastest of all backup programs. I haven't found it flawless for restoring a subset of files, however. It is all or nothing.

With Spb backup, backups take a little longer but the scheduled backups work better for me in that it doesn't reset before it backs up the files. This allows middle of the night backups on my password protected device.
    SPB Backup seems to be the app of choice. I have tried SunnySoft backup, but was unimpressed with it. Went back to SPB Backup. Also, SPB's restore function works like a charm. Had to use it once, after trying the SMS patch.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    I use Sprite on both my 700wx and Dash and have been satisfied with it.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Beryl...the Spb can do an automatic backup of a locked device?
    My Sprite will not
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Will the SPBBackup restore all of the Wireless ActiveSync settings on the Treo?

I am looking for a package that can restore all while I am away from the office and cannot rely on IT support.

Thanks again.
    Sprite Backup will do the job. It backup settings for Active Sync, and restore works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    Beryl...the Spb can do an automatic backup of a locked device?
    My Sprite will not
    My one can on the scheduled backup, and on manual backup, you just need to turn it on.

Dont be too harsh to yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
    I use both programs.

I've used Sprite for several years and it is the fastest of all backup programs. I haven't found it flawless for restoring a subset of files, however. It is all or nothing.

With Spb backup, backups take a little longer but the scheduled backups work better for me in that it doesn't reset before it backs up the files. This allows middle of the night backups on my password protected device.
    But since it doesnt reset the device, it always have some issue when I have some application running.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alienwhere View Post
    I have used Spb for a long time and absolutely love it. Very reliable.
    if you like the interface of SPB, I can stand that people pay it for 20 bucks, but I will just use the free Sprite one, and I found it stable, too.
    I downloaded and tried Sprite. It does a reboot, then backs up everything, then reboots itself again.

Spb Backup lets me choose what I am going to backup, and only reboots my 700wx when it is finished. One soft reset, not two.

That's worth $20 to me -- to avoid two soft resets.
    AHA.....

Sorry, It does not worth $20 to me for just saving one reboot time.

Besides, I do not think SPB can restore when I upgrade the ROM,

Either backup/restore to PC.

Palm did the oem with Sprite for a reason, I guess...~~
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    I use NVBackup for my T5 (not lucky enough to get a treo yet) and it does work well as I have had to do a number of reinstalls due to my T5 becoming rather unstable over the last three weeks. It's almost at the point of me regarding it as not usable.
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
    Just had a try with Spb, its simple anb easy to use. However, it seems that spb has less fucntiones. Sprite Backup can run a backup not only on your device, but also can backup to your PC or from PC . It is the big difference between Spb and Sprite Backup.
    Wait. I need to know the best backup. Especially since I have the threaded SMS patch installed. I want all of those tweaks backed up. Are you saying Sprite will back up those files in the Windows directory but Spb will not?
    I don't think you need to worry about that, Tastypeppers...

From the SPB Backup user guide:
    Important. Spb Backup doesn't officially support restoring data after ROM upgrade. You can do it on your own risk.

If you performed a ROM upgrade we can recommend you to restore only files from My Documents folder. All other files and settings may interfere with newer versions of software that could have been installed on your device during the ROM upgrade and could make your device work unstable.
    All this is saying is that the software does not have a feature to tell whats new/what should not be restored after you upgrade your ROM to a newer version--something that doesn't happen all that often with Palm. It actually backs up pretty much everything. I just used their data extraction tool on one of my backups and confirmed that it does backup the \Windows directory (amongst many other things).

On the Sprite side, they do in fact have an "upgrade" feature, but when I looked at what it takes to do it, I don't even know why someone would want to in the first place (delete POP accounts, make a backup, download a tool from the website, install it on the device, execute it, get the file it creates, etc... you can read all about the process here).

Personally, when it comes to something like a new ROM, I would want to start fresh anyway. There's no telling what extra files or settings you'd bring along which you don't need, or what you don't bring along that you need. But, again, that's just me. Sprite is good. SPB is good. I just happen to use SPB (to get back to the topic of the thread).
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiguy View Post
    I don't think you need to worry about that,
    On the Sprite side, they do in fact have an "upgrade" feature, but when I looked at what it takes to do it, I don't even know why someone would want to in the first place (delete POP accounts, make a backup, download a tool from the website, install it on the device, execute it, get the file it creates, etc... you can read all about the process .
    I guess it's because people want to get all their data and installed programes back after the ROM upgrade or changing to a new devcie, so they do not need to take longer to reconfigure the device again. But with Spb, it can not even support to restore a backup file after the ROM upgrade. It is not hard to follow the instruction on Sprite site to run the Upgrade Mode Restore. I have tried it once with my 2 Palm devices, it works great. The only thing you need to do is to create your POP accounts after restore.

Sprite Backup and Spb are both good backup tools. It really depends what people really need to decide which one to use Personally I prefer Sprite.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast