1.    #1  
    I use my 700w for just about everything, and my WX is in the mail currently. Before I get it, I'd like to know what logic you guys/gals use to determine whether a program should be installed on the device memory or the SD card? Is it simply size, or do some programs require some things to load first to operate properly?

I know that my SBP program warns against installing on my SD card, but it has always worked fine. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Last edited by santerianumero1; 02/25/2007 at 03:26 PM.
    a good rule was if it ran on the today screen put it in main memory. if it ran only when you started it manually, then sd card was ok place to install it.

i find that larger programs run a little faster on main memory than on card.
  3.    #3  
    Great answer! Thank you.
    I put SplashID and Msafe in device memory. Theory: if I lose my wx I can send an SMS and wipe all the important stuff. My SD card just has music and programs. No big deal if this is found.

Everything on the SD card seems fast enough. I have a Transcend 4GB 150x card. I got a Dane-Electric 4GB from the TC store but my wx doesn't recognize it. My card reader in 3 computers doesn't recognize it. The SD slot in my laptop doesn't recognize it. It is going back. Recommendation: get the brand name.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    a good rule was if it ran on the today screen put it in main memory. if it ran only when you started it manually, then sd card was ok place to install it.

i find that larger programs run a little faster on main memory than on card.
    i must add that this is what was used as a rule with the 6700 a year ago to avoid the dsod ( dark screen of death). some times where you couldn't turn the phone on. the leds would still be blinking telling you the phone was still on but just froze in a sleep mode. you sould have to softreset.

this hasn't always been the case with the treos. many have put today screen app on card and had no problems.

my advice would be to try one at a time and let a few days go by to see for sure if it worked ok.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    i must add that this is what was used as a rule with the 6700 a year ago to avoid the dsod ( dark screen of death). some times where you couldn't turn the phone on. the leds would still be blinking telling you the phone was still on but just froze in a sleep mode. you sould have to softreset.

this hasn't always been the case with the treos. many have put today screen app on card and had no problems.

my advice would be to try one at a time and let a few days go by to see for sure if it worked ok.
    Yeah. When I first got my Treo (first PDA phone), I just installed stuff without any thought. I then realized how slow the thng had gotten. I did a hard reset and selectively installed stuff on SD/Device. Phone seems to work much better. Just plannin on how to use my vast amount of memory when Mr. WX arrives.
    I went wild when Mr. WX arrived and suddenly was down to 5MB free. Hard reset and thoughtful re-insrallation of software followed.
    The program i have on the card runs much slower than it did from the card on my old ipaq. If you need speed try main memory.
    700wx - "dazed and confused"
    I have read about spb products and most of them require to be installed on main memory which their product are memory hogs. I recently switched to sbsh products since they support sd card installations and the way that works is the main files goto main memory and then the rest of the files are installed on the card. The programs I use from them are ilauncher and pocket breeze which like i said support sd card installs. also I know magicall has to be installed on main memory. Phone alarm as well supports sd card installs how ever in the settings they recommend to change the start up time to a min of 5 seconds for phone alarm to boot up.
    No more Tilt for me came back and got the Treo Pro.
    I'm a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to loading stuff in main memory. One of the reasons I am is because I know how you have to load ringtones in main memory.

I have a SanDisk Ultra II 2GB card, I've loaded pretty much everything on the SD card and my Treo hasn't had any real problems. I've only deadlocked twice, once while loading Opera and another time with IE. All my today screen apps run flawlessly.

If I start noticing problems, I'll definitely start loading today apps into main mem.
    at this time, I don't have anything installed on SD card, i just use that for music/videos/backups/pictures.

I have 28mb ROM free, so no trouble there. I don't really use custom ringtones, I think I have 2 on my phone right now. I switch back and forth from the CTU ringtone to the standard Modern Lo.