Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I was up too late lastnight pouring through these forums and can't find something I read. It was a post that said something like "...with Palm's announced commitment to existing 750 owners that they won't be stuck with WM5.....".

Have any of you seen any reliable info regarding the near future(I know - in Palm years) availability of an upgrade?

I have a 650 and I'm very anxious to get the 750 - and was ready to pull the trigger when the news of WM6 broke. I don't want to get stuck with WM5 for two years.

Any help appreciated.
    Now that's a subject of much debate.
    This story: http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1090-1.htm supposedly MS announced an upgrade to Treo 750 with WM6.
    But is this going to be a new Treo with WM6, or an upgrade for existing ones. If so which ones. WM6 is a rather incremental upgrade to WM5 "WM 5.5" so it's certainly possibly.
    My advice. If you can wait a few months, I'm sure you'll hear a few leaks and rumors. Maybe even a new Treo with a 320x320 screeen later this year?
    I think the Treo 750 is just the beginning of things to come from Palm this year.
    I for one think it's likely that WM6 will be made as an upgrades, but maybe it's more of wishful thinking on my part.
    /\ Add to that the pictures floating around the Internet of a 750 running WM6, and the rumors are rampid. Hopefully the update we get this year (the one we were "promised" for HSDPA) will have wm6 on it, but if thats the case then expect it some time around May-June.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I may have just found an answer to my question. I just pulled this from wmexperts:

Comments (1)
    Today, Feb 20th Palm removed the announcement of WM 6 from it's home page. I contacted the president's office yesterday and was told that they won't be upgrading present 750s to the new operating system. I have two 750s from Cingular for about thirty days and will try to return them. I also contacted Cingular's corporate customer service and they basically said "deal with Palm." I'm not happy and just wish they would make an announcement to support the customers that bought the new 750s that have been out in the USA for perhaps seven weeks. It's bad enough that the 750 has many bugs but to have an outdated operating system makes it worse. I see that T-Mobile will offer a free update to their Dash users. Why can't Cingular and Palm do the same? Rick

Posted by rick | February 20, 2007 12:08 PM

Looks like I'll have to wait to pull the trigger.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Here's the original post I couldn't find again - just found it. Can anybody bring anymore validation to this? It sounds pretty promising, but I contacted the source directly and they never responded.

I really want to buy this 750, but not if I'll get stuck at 5.

From Treonauts site:

by software tips | Feb 18, 2007 8:51:35 PM
    For now it is unclear when this Windows Mobile 6 upgrade will be available but by this announcement Palm sends clear signal "you can buy 750 safely without being worried that it runs outdated operating system because upgrade is coming". Very good decision of Palm! ... (also Windows Mobile 6 upgrade to T-Mobile Dash has been announced) and now it is yet to be seen which other Windows Mobile manufacturers will follow with which handsets...
    my suggestion is DON'T expect the wm6 os upgrade and you won't be disappointed. I don't consider wm5 outdated, and wm6 just offers a few minor tweaks. given palm's history, I think we'd be fools to think that we'll get the upgrade. Just because the dash is getting it, doesn't mean the same for us. But hey, but I hope I'm proven wrong.
    Based on Palm's track record of updates for existing products, I'd have to agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Now that's a subject of much debate.
    This story: http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1090-1.htm supposedly MS announced an upgrade to Treo 750 with WM6.
    But is this going to be a new Treo with WM6, or an upgrade for existing ones. If so which ones. WM6 is a rather incremental upgrade to WM5 "WM 5.5" so it's certainly possibly.
    My advice. If you can wait a few months, I'm sure you'll hear a few leaks and rumors. Maybe even a new Treo with a 320x320 screeen later this year?
    I think the Treo 750 is just the beginning of things to come from Palm this year.
    I for one think it's likely that WM6 will be made as an upgrades, but maybe it's more of wishful thinking on my part.
    Hey taylorh,

When you say you have a feeling that many more Treo's will be released later this year, what do you mean? I can't tell you how much I am in LOVE with my 750, especially the price. I just bought a Thinkpad T43p with a 15" UXGA (1600x1200) screen and I must say, I love the extra screen real estate!

Conversely, after installing a few apps on the 750, the 240x240 res. is really annoying and disruptive. Browsing the Internet on IE is not fun either as I have to scroll both ways to be able to view the entire page. I wonder if there is any way to make the fonts extra small or something?

Yours truly,

Crunch
    But isn't one of the "perks" for WM6 support for true 320x320 resolution? Will the resolution be a part of the upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    But isn't one of the "perks" for WM6 support for true 320x320 resolution? Will the resolution be a part of the upgrade?

Yes, that's the most important factor for me about WM6. However, I don't think we can take advantage of the increased resolution with our current Treo 750's once it comes out. The minute the Treo 750 with WM6 that will be able to handle 320x320 comes out, I'll be the first to get one.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    Conversely, after installing a few apps on the 750, the 240x240 res. is really annoying and disruptive. Browsing the Internet on IE is not fun either as I have to scroll both ways to be able to view the entire page. I wonder if there is any way to make the fonts extra small or something?

Yours truly,

Crunch
    Have you tried one column mode with PIE? It really improves the experience. I just leave my device in that mode all the time. It destroys the layout of a page, but if makes the information on it much more accessible.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Have you tried one column mode with PIE? It really improves the experience. I just leave my device in that mode all the time. It destroys the layout of a page, but if makes the information on it much more accessible.

Surur
    No, I haven't. Hmm...What's PIE? lol...Thanks for the info!
    Pocket IE

Surur
    Ohh...thanks dude...
    so the 750v wouldnt be able to handle the resolution jump eh? Maybe I should hold off on getting a 750v till WM6 is out then?
    wm6 will also support 240x240`
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    For what it's worth, there are other threads here where 750 owners are pondering the possibility of eventually getting WM6 on existing phone(maybe have to be through a hack if Palm hoses us) and then installing a replacement screen for a 680 into the 750.

Those involved had done some preliminary investigation and my interpretation is the screens looked swappable. They were going to pursue further. You might be interested in searching for those threads.
    i've already had a 650 apart quite a few times.. 750 can't be much harder. The screen swap would be easy, as long as it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Love84 View Post
    so the 750v wouldnt be able to handle the resolution jump eh? Maybe I should hold off on getting a 750v till WM6 is out then?
    The 750 (and 750v) have 240x240 physical pixels on the touch screen. So even if you put WM6 on it, it wouldn't change the resolution.
    It's like an LCD Monitor, a 1280x1024 LCD monitor supports 1280x1024 only.
    The problem with waiting is you could be waiting a long time for a WM6 Treo with 320x320.
    I personally assume I'll have enjoyed this 750 for about a year before I see an upgrade.
    But if you're holding out hope for WM6 and/or 320x320, then yes, you had better wait to see what comes.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    Hey taylorh,

When you say you have a feeling that many more Treo's will be released later this year, what do you mean? I can't tell you how much I am in LOVE with my 750, especially the price. I just bought a Thinkpad T43p with a 15" UXGA (1600x1200) screen and I must say, I love the extra screen real estate!

Yours truly,

Crunch
    Yeah I often just use column mode on internet explorer. But moreso I actually use Opera Mini 95% of the time. Opera mini is the best at doing what it does best, reformat web pages so they fit better on a small screen.
    Additionally since Opera Mini process the pages before download, the number of kilobytes you download is less so they download faster. There's an initial "hit" (delay) up front as the server processes the page, but then it downloads snappy.

The problem with Opera mini is that you need to install Java on your Treo first.
    See my web page here for links to two different Java options:
    http://gadgetech.info/treo/tips/java/
    (the Intent one is going to be more friendly to use.)

But I have to agree. Getting a 320x320 screen would be a big boost. I'll be first in line to get a 320x320 treo when/if they come out.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Also just because the resolution of WM6 supports 320x320 that doesn't mean you get more screen real estate. According to the WM Dev team, more pixels means a clearer/sharper image, not that things are smaller and gives you more room.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast