1.    #1  
    While on the Palm website pulling down my free copy of Sprite backup I came across a file called devicereset.zip http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...vicereset.html which is supposed to do a complete (I guess) wipe of the 700wx -- something stronger than a hard reset, it sounds like.

Has anyone downloaded and used this?

I only ask because my Dash had the ability to do a hard reset by clicking on an icon. None of this gymnastic stuff--hold button, open window, cough three times, etc. that Palm insists on for a hard reset on the 700wx. I'd like to have something menu driven to do a hard reset.

EDIT. Of course you don't install the zip file. That's not what I meant. You know what I meant.
    I haven't tried that, but from what I could gather (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), it even removes your carrier info/config as well (phone #, vision login, etc.).

psShutXP has built-in capability for a hard reset (and soft reset, and device lock, and...): http://ppcsoft.narod.ru/english/
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, kaiguy. The file description does indeed sound like it completely wipes all of everything off the phone, down to the electrons. I will look at psShutXP. I wonder why we need a third party program for this when the Dash and the SDA had it built-in. And the MDA, if I remember correctly.
    The 6700 had a similar utility built in as well, called "Clear Storage" if I'm not mistaken. It seemed to be a trend for a while with new devices...
    END OF LINE
    the normal hard resets were found to leave small amounts of pim data on the phone. for security reasons I feel thay releasd devicereset. I have been using it for months. it was posted here at tc quite awhile ago.

I don't think it wipe the your carrier info/config as well (phone #, vision login, etc.). the reason I say this is after you run it, there is no need to peovision your data or anything. I know for sure it doesn't erase as much as a ##786# does. devicereset still leaves all your programing info. msl and msid.

one thing I can say that others have argued with me about is... when you do a "devicereset" or "##786#" you lose the camara app. what I do is after I run this type of reset, I then do a regular hard reset. I don't understand why this happens to me and not others, but I can do it on all 3 of the sprint 700wx that I have had. thay are not from the same batch. thay were swaped from customer service.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alienwhere View Post
    The 6700 had a similar utility built in as well, called "Clear Storage" if I'm not mistaken. It seemed to be a trend for a while with new devices...
    My old 8125 had it, too. Handy when I bought it (used) and then sold it, for making sure it was a clean device.