Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Need some help. Everything looks just fine, except the speed! I've followed all of the suggestions in the big HSDPA thread, put the files in the right locations, etc. And I do seem to be getting an HSDPA connection, but the speed is only the (frequently quoted) 340K. Did the following to verify:

1. Put the band selection to UMTS (phone setting) and got 340K.
    2. Put the band selection to GMS and got 200K.

I am in a known HSDPA area, and others report getting the 700K or more. I have a U on my display. I can connect my notebook to the internet tethered with both wire and BT, and measure 220K with wire, 200K with BT through my notebook, 340K by direct (no notebook).

I have the oft mentioned files in \windows\startup, have done many resets, FIT4CAT indicates the file is being found.

So, everything seems to be work well, just that I don't get the speed. Suggestions????
    Mike Caldwell
    How long did you wait after installing the files and soft resetting? It may take some time for the Treo to sync up with the hsdpa signal. When I first applied mine, it took several hours before I started to see an improvement in speed.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  3.    #3  
    Did all the setup steps about three days ago. Jus did a DSLREPORTS test and got 320K.
    Different location, still with U showing. I keep thinking there is some menu item that has not been mentioned in the tread that I have set wrong.
    Mike Caldwell
    FIT4CAT is NOT necessary! Just place the sethsdpa files in the windows dir. And copy the .lnk file in the windows/startup. Be sure to do this ON the device using built-in file manager and not activesync explorer. Soft-reset device twice and do a speed test. Might take 20 minutes, but generally it works right away (For me).

Again, NO NEED for the FIT4CAT program at all.
  5.    #5  
    My comment re: FIT4CAT was only meant to show that the file was being found. But, now not sure just which files to have and where. I see I have:

windows\startup SetHSDPA, 5.99K, but no file extension shown, so not sure if .EXE or .LNK.

windows/ SetHSDPA, 5.99K. Pretty sure it's the same file; when I saw the comments about the start directory I put a copy in both. Is that a problem?

Meanwhile, I've looked at my downloads, and I see a SetHDSPA.EXE of 6K, so that's what I apparantely have on the Treo. The 1K file of same name but no extension is in my My_Documents sync file, and says active sync uploads it, but I never find it on the Treo, only the 6K file.

So at this point I think I have the .exe in place (is one in Windows and one in Windows\Startup a problem?) but not the link. I have seen comments about manually making a shortcut, which I assume is just a manual way of providing the .LNK file. Assume also it goes into the \Startup file. But I can't figure out how to make the shortcut.
    Mike Caldwell
    Yes... Thats a problem... The link has prep. to enable the feature. Do it all over again and follow the instructions.
    It sounds like you've got all the right stuff in the right places, just want to double check though.

Do you have the small SetHSDPA (1kb) file in your startup directory and the larger SetHSDPA (6kb) in your Windows directory. It sounds like the small file in the startup directory isn't auto loading. Make sure of the locations then do a couple of soft resets.
  8.    #8  
    No; I cannot find the small one anywhere. It's in the My_Documents folder for Active Sync to bring it up, and AS says it has, but I cannot find it anywhere. Got another way to get it over?

The 6K file is in \Windows.
    Mike Caldwell
  9.    #9  
    Tried deleting the 1K file from the sync folder, syncing, then putting it back. No good. Then I dropped the file into a folder (Install) and syncing; no good. Bottom line is I cannot get the SetHSDPA 1K file onto the Treo. Can I email it in as an attachment?
    ----
    Later: no. Outlook (PC) wouldn't let me attach the file because it could not "resolve the link." Tried to change the name and put a .txt file extension on it; won't name change.
    Last edited by oldmike; 02/20/2007 at 03:46 PM. Reason: More info
    Mike Caldwell
    Seems that You have skipped the post where the solution to your problem is.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...1&postcount=16
    -------------------------------------------------

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Just us activesync then click explore. Place the files in your My documents folder(Drag-N-Drop). Then open file explorer on your treo and move those files to the windows and windows/startup folder receptively. Done. You could also do a search for the installer .cab for this process. Someone made it real easy for those who dont know how to navigate there WM device.
  12.    #12  
    I'm truly embarassed to be so lame. Two engineering degrees, decades of PC experience, but doggone if I can figure out this WM5; too much Palm indoctrination I suppose.

Fried Solutor's approach. Uninstalled FIT4CAT, deleted the other files, then unzipped Solutor's file. Copied the .cab file to the sync folder under "Install". Double clicked it there; say three or four file names flash by. Did a sync, rebooted. No change. Now I see the .cab file in Windows directory. The other files do not seem to have copied over. Have reset a number of times.

So maybe what I am missing is the meaning/procedure of "install". Solutor, when you said to install after unzipping, what exactly does that mean to do? All of the other WM5 software I have installed popped up a dialog box during installation. I did not get that here, just some files that apparantely I need to do something with.

Fellows, thanks for your patience.
    Mike Caldwell
    I dont think you are "installing" anything wrong, there have been a few people having speeds issue lately with Cingular. Check out this thread over at Howard Forums.

http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1102029
    Fried Solutor's approach. Uninstalled FIT4CAT, deleted the other files, then unzipped Solutor's file. Copied the .cab file to the sync folder under "Install". Double clicked it there; say three or four file names flash by. Did a sync, rebooted. No change. Now I see the .cab file in Windows directory. The other files do not seem to have copied over. Have reset a number of times.
    First copy the .cab file in a directory of your treo (eg: my documents), then directly from the treo click on the cab file and the install process will start, follow the on screen instructions then reboot the phone.

The cab files are meant to be installed directly from the device.

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
  15.    #15  
    Hmmmm. I have never seen above 340K. I'm certain I never got the SetHSDPA link into the Treo, only the executable 6K file. As for this attempt using Solutor's file, how can I tell if something is installed or not?

Solutor: could you tell me what files should now be in what location(s)?
    Mike Caldwell
    how can I tell if something is installed or not?

Solutor: could you tell me what files should now be in what location(s)?
    After the process you should have

SetHSDPA.exe in \windows directory

and

SetHSDPA.lnk in \windows\startup directory

Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Not really any help, but I basically ran into the same issues. I got the HSDPA hack to work for a couple of days but then it stopped in the sense that I could never ever get anything faster than UMTS. I did all the stuff all over, multiple hard resets, but never could get the speed back up.

Just my opinion, but I think that's why it's a hack. It's not production ready and lots of times it just doesn't work.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  18.    #18  
    Solutor, thanks for the follow up. Ran the installation .cab, reset, have verified that I do have the files you list in the proper locations, but still getting 340 at dslreports.com/mspeed. So it appears the phone is fine, or at least all necessary is installed, but mikef and others may be correct that the service has not been totally rolled out and is flakey.

Meanwhile, 340K is usuable for what I mostly do (exchange Word files, download or view PDFs), so guess I can be patient. Q: is the functionality and feature set of a UMTS connection the same as HSDPA, just slowr? If not, what does one lose?

Thanks again for everyone's patience. I think we've done all we can at this point; now it's up to Cingular to provide.
    Mike Caldwell
    The feature set is the same. Basically UMTS is the hardware layer, HSDPA is a software enhancement on top of the hardware layer. It should be the same except for speed.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmike View Post
    Solutor, thanks for the follow up. Ran the installation .cab, reset, have verified that I do have the files you list in the proper locations, but still getting 340 at dslreports.com/mspeed. So it appears the phone is fine, or at least all necessary is installed, but mikef and others may be correct that the service has not been totally rolled out and is flakey.

Meanwhile, 340K is usuable for what I mostly do (exchange Word files, download or view PDFs), so guess I can be patient. Q: is the functionality and feature set of a UMTS connection the same as HSDPA, just slowr? If not, what does one lose?

Thanks again for everyone's patience. I think we've done all we can at this point; now it's up to Cingular to provide.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Q: is the functionality and feature set of a UMTS connection the same as HSDPA
    Yes, same functionality at slower speed.

So it appears the phone is fine, or at least all necessary is installed, but mikef and others may be correct that the service has not been totally rolled out and is flakey.
    The only other test you can try is:

Do a full backup of your data, HR your treo and install only the hsdpa cab and see what happen.

You can also try installing the latest vodafone rom (is still not hsdpa enabled but is newer than the cingular one)

http://rapidshare.com/files/17054031...eo_750v_NL.rar
    Last edited by The Solutor; 02/20/2007 at 11:12 PM.

Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast