Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    All I want is a response or acknowledgement that Palm is heari us. I have been side past by so many Palm tech support agents that always seem to side step my questions or put it off to Verizon so that the Verizon tech supports can side step me more and try to put me back onto Palm. That is why I wrote this open letter. Now as for the individuals that want to be negative about either this open letter or any other open letter, go open another thread about it. As for those that want to try to see improvements and want to try to have their voice heard then let them post here. I am getting sick of all the negative comments that some forum members are writing. I never really thought that some were as negative as they are until I started this thread try so let our voice be heard.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I have been having ongoing correspondence with Palm's Senior Manager of marketing as a result of that letter regarding our major issues. I have forwarded him details on TC'ers observations on how to recreate and workaround the SMS lockup problem so that their engineers can readily recreate and fix that problem.

Being that I had no such aquaintance at Palm before that said letter, which was written by ME, I would have to conclude that such letters are not pointless.

The only thing that is pointless is making yourself feel better about being a victim by putting down the efforts of those who refuse to be.
    Your going OT here Bob.

Please read the first post from the OP again.

It had nothing to do with fixes, but more with functionality that was never advertised, some not even being possible on the existing hardware.

That is why a few of us were throwing our proverbial hands up in the air again.

What you are talking about is different and legitamite.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    For what it's worth, my experience with these large companies is that when I get to talk to a front line worker with them (not usually very easy) that person is an absolute joy to deal with. They are regular folks trying to provide a service and do their jobs well. Unfortunately, they are constrained by the decisions of the number crunchers who, ultimately, will be the ones who decide whether the oversights will be corrected or not.

Bravo for the front line worker

Yukoner
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    Palm representitives actually resonded to an open letter not two months ago. So beleive it or not, they are listenting and they are reading these posts. Any company that intends to stay in business wants to understand thier customer. dont be Nieve.
    ...except that was a well written, well thought out letter. This post is not. If Palm responds to something like this I'd be extremely surprised.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    I love many things about palm and my sprint 700wx. the one thing that will send me to another device is bluetooth dialing. I couldn't belive after buying the 700wx that it didn't do bluetooth dialing. EVERY wm 5.0 devive ever sold does this. in fact many other devices have done this for years. I would have no problems buying microsoft voicecommand 1.6 to get this working. what we find is that vc 1.6 works on every wm 5.0 device except the treo. for thr treo to be such a professional device, I think thay for got one of the most important features.

if I don't see something change before the next sprint pda device with bt dialing comes out (ppc6800) , I will be switching.
    Wrong. Many Windows Mobile devices do NOT support bluetooth dialing. This is not a limit of the hardware so much as the software. Newer versions of the Windows Mobile OS is whats needed to enable these features you want. So what you are asking for should be new ROMs with the latest AKUs. The HTC apache is getting a lot of press from the advanced users now that unofficial AKU 3.5 updates are available. Verizon has even annouced they will release an AKU "3" update for previous XV6700 users. That response is almost surely to try and curb the appeal of "Cooking your own ROM" and removing all of Verizons nasty add-ons.

Bluetooth dialing, A2DP and many of the other options and fixes along with better stability are included in the latest AKU updates for Windows mobile. Many carriers don't like to release ROM updates for their devices becuase they want you to BUY a new device and lock in to a new contract. Carriers get no money for the R&D and support when upgrading existing devices.

Nice sentiment, but you need to do more research and make sure you are asking for the right stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    What do you mean by your last line? Did I really miss something? Honestly.

The WXs screen is fixed at 240x240- that is a hardware limitation, not software. The 650/680/700p use a different screen.

-Rob
    WRONG. The 240x240 resolution screen was chosen because Windows Mobile 5 and all previous versions of the OS did not include SOFTWARE OS support for that resolution. It was in no way a hardware limitation or some choice from a bean counter trying to save money. This fact was stated by Microsoft engineers. Sprint, Verizon, Palm could do NOTHING about it. It was not their choice to use a 240x240 screen. I am sure Palm would have loved to have one screen res of 320x320 for all of their devices. It cuts cost when you can place large orders for the same size LCD to a manfacturer.

All of this crap about 240x240 and 320x320 is getting very very old.
    Alao BT dialing is is strictly a limitation in the stack. The hardware will do it but the feature and direction of audio data to the app is off in the stack.
    The Treo 700 hardware will do it with the correct software. I have had several chats with Palm engineers. I'm a hardware guy so fring up the development tools and writing an app is outside of my expertise.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    There will always be a couple of bugs and some may be real pia problems, but what some ppl refuse to accept is that there has to be a balance between bringing something perfect to market which requires a ton of testing over a long period of time and balancing that with bringing something to market that is modern and offers new technology.

The 700w and 700wx are largely outstanding devices. There may be a few issues but I suspect they work very well for 98% of the ppl they are designed for...and that's not the power user. In my estimation most ppl don't care that they can't listen to blue tooth stereo, use vc over bluetooth, that the memory is severly lacking, that there's a dst bug, etc. They want a device that allows push email, ability to check and/or edit a document, have pim functions, do basic web stuff, and allow them to do basic biz functions out of the office.

The devices are extremely stable until you start adding programs fiddling with the registry, etc.

I disagree.
    I am not a power user and have NO add on software. I wouldn't know how to find the registry, no less "fiddle" with it.

I come to this forum to solve problems when Palm tells me to call Verizon, who then tells me to call Palm, who then tells me to call Microsoft.

I simply want the device to work reliably, which it does not.

Our company's 700w's all have a mind of their own. They loose their connection to the VZW network and stop receiving incoming calls and push email without any warning. This means we cannot depend on these devices as a phone or for incoming e-mail. All of the other cool features would be nice if they worked too, but I want the phone to ring when someone calls me and to be notified when I get an e-mail.

I'm talking about the most basic functions of these devices. While these devices are supposed to be capable of many cool and even usefull functions, they must first serve their purpose as a communications device. A 1970's era pager is more reliable.

Verizon should demand that Palm fix these devices. Failing that they should replace them with something dependable.
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1234 View Post
    WRONG. The 240x240 resolution screen was chosen because Windows Mobile 5 and all previous versions of the OS did not include SOFTWARE OS support for that resolution. It was in no way a hardware limitation or some choice from a bean counter trying to save money. This fact was stated by Microsoft engineers. Sprint, Verizon, Palm could do NOTHING about it. It was not their choice to use a 240x240 screen. I am sure Palm would have loved to have one screen res of 320x320 for all of their devices. It cuts cost when you can place large orders for the same size LCD to a manfacturer.

All of this crap about 240x240 and 320x320 is getting very very old.
    No, you mis-interperated what I said.

Here is exactly what I wrote;

The WXs screen is fixed at 240x240- that is a hardware limitation, not software. The 650/680/700p use a different screen.

When I say "hardware limitiation" I am talking about the 240x240 screen itself!

And it was a bean counter decision to use the 240x240.

Microsoft would have been happy to modify the OS to run 320x320, but Palm didnt want it! They did it for Motorola. They could of course have also decided to go 480x480. That is a native to wm5.

Yes, I agree this resolution talk is getting old.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post

Yes, I agree this resolution talk is getting old.
    ALL THIS TALK IS GETTING OLD. EVERYDAY SOMEONE NEW IS WHINING ABOUT THE SAME ISSUE THAT SOMEONE WHINED ABOUT YESTERDAY...

Listen to all you nancies!... I bought my 700w shortly after it came out and after doing a few days worth of research. I KNEW WHAT I WAS GETTING. I knew BT dialing didn't work. I knew it was a 240x240 screen. I knew there was a memory leak, shortage of memory. I knew the dimensions and that it wasn't going to be as small as a Q, RAZR, etc. etc. We all did and have no one to blame but ourselves for buying the phone.

You can't buy a Honda Civic and expect it to run 12 second quarters! It's just not designed to. The 700w(x) and WM5.0 and AKU #whatever aren't designed to do what some people want it to do. Deal with it.

Yes, other phones do certain things - but there's a tradespace: example the 6700 does most of what you people want to my knowledge, but it's like a brick in your pocket and has a slide out keyboard that limits one-handed operation. For whatever reason, you chose a Palm 700w(x). Go to bed at night happy with that. I'm sick and tired of coming onto the forum hearing people pissing and moaning about how they're pissed that the 700w doesn't do something that the 700wx does or the 700p does or the 6700 or 6800 does. Hell, I'm pissed that my old STARTAC doesn't have Bluetooth - but I'm not going to write a letter to Motorola about it.

Buy something that works for you now or wait for the George Jetson phone that does all your tasks and has a built in Xbox 360. The fact is that the 700w(x) is pretty much the most top shelf phone on the market right now. Sales back this data up. All the people that bought VZW 700w's then went right out on the 19th and bought 700WX's reinforced the fact that we'll buy whatever Palm sells. They give us a half a$$ed upgrade, we'll buy it. Why would they want to drop money on the R&D to offer a REAL upgrade if we'll run right out and buy what is, essentially, an insult. Some people have spent damn near a grand on phones in the past 18 months - Palm's laughing at you because they're essentially the same phone.

I hear the toilet paper at Palm is open letters to Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    Now as for the individuals that want to be negative about either this open letter or any other open letter, go open another thread about it.
    If I did, would that stop people from writing open letters? Nope. So why do you think someone writing an open letter will make Palm, a huge, profitable corporation, change anything?

Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    I am getting sick of all the negative comments that some forum members are writing.
    Me too - like your OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rogers View Post
    ALL THIS TALK IS GETTING OLD. EVERYDAY SOMEONE NEW IS WHINING ABOUT THE SAME ISSUE THAT SOMEONE WHINED ABOUT YESTERDAY...

Listen to all you nancies!... I bought my 700w shortly after it came out and after doing a few days worth of research. I KNEW WHAT I WAS GETTING. I knew BT dialing didn't work. I knew it was a 240x240 screen. I knew there was a memory leak, shortage of memory. I knew the dimensions and that it wasn't going to be as small as a Q, RAZR, etc. etc. We all did and have no one to blame but ourselves for buying the phone.

You can't buy a Honda Civic and expect it to run 12 second quarters! It's just not designed to. The 700w(x) and WM5.0 and AKU #whatever aren't designed to do what some people want it to do. Deal with it.

Yes, other phones do certain things - but there's a tradespace: example the 6700 does most of what you people want to my knowledge, but it's like a brick in your pocket and has a slide out keyboard that limits one-handed operation. For whatever reason, you chose a Palm 700w(x). Go to bed at night happy with that. I'm sick and tired of coming onto the forum hearing people pissing and moaning about how they're pissed that the 700w doesn't do something that the 700wx does or the 700p does or the 6700 or 6800 does. Hell, I'm pissed that my old STARTAC doesn't have Bluetooth - but I'm not going to write a letter to Motorola about it.

Buy something that works for you now or wait for the George Jetson phone that does all your tasks and has a built in Xbox 360. The fact is that the 700w(x) is pretty much the most top shelf phone on the market right now. Sales back this data up. All the people that bought VZW 700w's then went right out on the 19th and bought 700WX's reinforced the fact that we'll buy whatever Palm sells. They give us a half a$$ed upgrade, we'll buy it. Why would they want to drop money on the R&D to offer a REAL upgrade if we'll run right out and buy what is, essentially, an insult. Some people have spent damn near a grand on phones in the past 18 months - Palm's laughing at you because they're essentially the same phone.

The memory problem on the 700w is not just some shortcoming of the phone. The 700wx is what should have been launched in the first place. And if you read the reviews, no one really lays out just how crippling the 25 megs of ram is. Cnet, PCmag ect. All reference it like, "it could use more memory". In all honesty, I dont even know how you used that thing. You want to really bug out? Get the 700wx. Its much more than a "half assed upgrade". The memory makes it five times the maching you use now. And A2DP is a nice bonus.
    The memory problem on the 700w is not just some shortcoming of the phone. The 700wx is what should have been launched in the first place. And if you read the reviews, no one really lays out just how crippling the 25 megs of ram is. Cnet, PCmag ect. All reference it like, "it could use more memory". In all honesty, I dont even know how you used that thing. You want to really bug out? Get the 700wx. Its much more than a "half assed upgrade". The memory makes it five times the maching you use now. And A2DP is a nice bonus.
    Is the 700wx better? Sure - but it's the same phone with more memory and I think Bluetooth headsets are ridiculous. And I think crippling is a bit of an overstatement. If you're watching TV or listening to streaming audio everyday, then maybe, but it's a smartphone not an entertainment system.

My 700w works just fine, it's CERTAINLY not worth $400 for the upgrade. Maybe when the 800 or the 850 comes out, I'll consider it, but for double the memory, I see no point.

Better yet - the 6800 is just around the corner. Bigger screen, BT voice command, DUN, etc. I'd probably go that route. It's not that much bigger than the Treo either.
    Last edited by Andy Rogers; 02/23/2007 at 07:48 PM.

Great post But I disagree with your statement
    (ALL THIS TALK IS GETTING OLD. EVERYDAY SOMEONE NEW IS WHINING ABOUT THE SAME ISSUE THAT SOMEONE WHINED ABOUT YESTERDAY...)

A2DP
    Keylight control
    Led alert
    SMS text patch-with some setbacks
    and many either valuable add on/hacks the Whining/wanting has brought the WM treo user.
    A forum without whining hmmm, it would not be a forum

Phil C
    Is the 700wx better? Sure - but it's the same phone with more memory and I think Bluetooth headsets are ridiculous. And I think crippling is a bit of an overstatement. If you're watching TV or listening to streaming audio everyday, then maybe, but it's a smartphone not an entertainment system.

My 700w works just fine, it's CERTAINLY not worth $400 for the upgrade. Maybe when the 800 or the 850 comes out, I'll consider it, but for double the memory, I see no point.

Better yet - the 6800 is just around the corner. Bigger screen, BT voice command, DUN, etc. I'd probably go that route. It's not that much bigger than the Treo either.

I used the 700w and if you think asking a pda to run windows media and surf the internet at the same time is too much, then you and i dont agree. As for bluetooth headsets, I guess its up to the user. My train commute is an hour each way and I listen to music the entire time. Having the media controls outside of my jacket is fanastic. No more pulling out the cord, getting it cought on things. Its huge. BT voice dialing is a nice feature, especially for something with a slide out key board. But the treo makes it so easy to dial a number, I decided I could live without it.

Bottom line, the VZW's WX is 10 times the phone the W is.
    I used the 700w and if you think asking a pda to run windows media and surf the internet at the same time is too much, then you and i dont agree. As for bluetooth headsets, I guess its up to the user. My train commute is an hour each way and I listen to music the entire time. Having the media controls outside of my jacket is fanastic. No more pulling out the cord, getting it cought on things. Its huge. BT voice dialing is a nice feature, especially for something with a slide out key board. But the treo makes it so easy to dial a number, I decided I could live without it.

Bottom line, the VZW's WX is 10 times the phone the W is.
    To each his own. If I were buying a new phone today, I would definitely get the WX. But seeing as it's a phone, not an iPod, I don't care one bit about Windows media... never used it, in fact. I use my 80 gig video iPod for that. In my experience, the multi-component devices (think Ron Popeel's blender/toaster/coffee maker/food processor) may look great and save you alot of counter (pocket) space, but when you get right down to it, the components themselves are mediocre at best. With the tremendous mp3 player selection on the market, a phone will never be able to compete. My answer to this dilema: I listen to my iPod, which by the way has like 15 days of music on it (put that on a 2 gig SD) and surf to my hearts content on my 700W. Bonus - I don't look like a tool with a BT headset. OT: I actually saw a guy at a restaurant with his wife yesterday who ate the whole meal with his wife with a blue tooth bug on his head. THE WHOLE MEAL. Dude, you're not that important, you don't have that many friends. Or my personal fav, the guys at the airport, holding their phones in front of them with the BT bug on their skulls. If they bent their arms a mere 35 degrees more, they'd be using that one. Now, if I was a rock climber, or welder, sure, give me a headset... but a self-important salesman at the airport... get over it. Use it in your cars, when the decisions you make affect other people - that's where I use mine.

But I digress...

I'm on my 4th 700W. First one crapped out the second day I had it, second one stolen, third one I dropped, so if there's a number 5, sure I'll push VZW for the WX as a replacement. But I'm never, ever, going to run out and buy a $400 dollar phone. You do realize, that in 6-12 months, there will most assuredly be a brand new treo, a brand new 6800, a brand new Samsung, and the iPhone to chose from. That's what I'll be spending my scratch on - IF they have features that I can't live without.

And I won't have to complain to get it.
    Did you guys not read the interviews with the Palm folks at the CES that were posted on this site (Somebody post the link cos I am too lazy)?

One of the main reasons why Palm is not going to go putting A2DP, BT DUN, Threaded SMS onto a 700wx is because these are additional features not mentioned on the box (OK I admit I never looked at the box it came in) and they are bound by Sarbanes Oxley to account to their shareholders for anything they "give" to customers for free. I'm not sure why this applies to Palm and not companies like Microsoft (See below)

If it's a bug fix, they are making good on a product and demonstrating quality. If it is adding features, no matter how dumb an engineer you would have to be to leave such features off if they are technically possible, they may have to make a completely different justification to start sending it out.

We would be better off to suggest that Palm approach these features the way that Microsoft has approached the Voice dialing upgrade. How many 700w and wx owners would shell out $49.99 to get those three features included on the device? (OK, so the answer is one before the files showed up here and people bootlegged it). Convince Palm there is money to be made by upgrading existing units (They must realize most of us are now under a 2 year service extension and will not be upgrading to a Treo 751 1/2 just because it has all of the features we want).

Having said all I've said above, I never did understand why Microsoft (Google is a different business model altogether) makes a business model out of giving features away (while other companies don't). They have research teams looking at their office applications and releasing features on their blogs. I can download a whole host of Microsoft approved addins for Microsoft Office which were developed after they convinced me to pony up and buy the product.

Even better still, Microsoft gave me a free full copy of Office 2007 for sitting through a few hours of information at the New Day launch event. Evidently they have a business model that involved throwing customers a bone in order to keep them coming back.

But I honestly think you are asking for too much when expecting Palm to add features for free.

Steve
    I don't think it should be about palm offering features for free.They should already be there .Take the 700w for instance .Why did PALM not have the necessary memory to run WM5 from the start .They failed to live up to the needs kicking that customer to the curve releasing the Sprint wx with memory needed.
    Palm then has 2 WM5 palm treo's on the market with the same face,with just about the same guts lacking what...A2DP.
    Palm then drop A2DP in the verizon wx .
    Guys Palm is in shamble not looking out for there customer base from the start .I can understand deadline release maybe contributing to there disarray but that no excuse for 3 identical WM5 treo release in such a short period.
    The palm WX in my opinion is the best on the market today yet palm commitment to the customer is far from.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123