Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1.    #1  
    I am a former GSM 650 user now on a BB Pearl through Cingular. I am intrigued by the 750. One of the reasons I switched to the BB is that the email options on the 650 were not idea. BBConnect was flaky at best, and Chatter EX worked but was not ideal. Bottom line, nothing works like a BB for email and email for me is mission-critical.

    That said, I have never used Direct Push. For those who have used both, how does it compare? Do you have full folder access? Does it handle HTML email? Can it send attachments? I assume that full wireless reconciliation is possible? Are there any problems running an exchange account and a couple of IMAP accounts through Outlook Mobile?

    One non-email related question: what's the verdict on batter life for those who have used their devices for a while now?

    thanks in advance,
    elbastardocalvo
    elbastardocalvo
  2. #2  
    Direct push is awesome. Works like BlackBerry Connect. Only thing, you have to maintain an always active data connection. Direct Push works with Pocket Outlook, so full HTML email isn't possible in Windows Mobile 5. If the Treo was upgraded to WM6, then full HTML is possible. You can send and attach files as a normal email. As far as battery life--charge every night. With calls, and Direct Push running for an entire work day, I'd come home to 40-50% charge remaining. Your mileage may vary. However, with the Treo, battery life will be horrible at first. After completely draining and charging the battery through a few cycles, it improves dramatically. When I first got the device, it can't even last a full day on just calls (no internet connection). Now, it's a charmer. Go to a store and play with a display model first to see how you like the interface, etc.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanvision View Post
    Direct push is awesome. Works like BlackBerry Connect. Only thing, you have to maintain an always active data connection. Direct Push works with Pocket Outlook, so full HTML email isn't possible in Windows Mobile 5. If the Treo was upgraded to WM6, then full HTML is possible. You can send and attach files as a normal email. As far as battery life--charge every night. With calls, and Direct Push running for an entire work day, I'd come home to 40-50% charge remaining. Your mileage may vary. However, with the Treo, battery life will be horrible at first. After completely draining and charging the battery through a few cycles, it improves dramatically. When I first got the device, it can't even last a full day on just calls (no internet connection). Now, it's a charmer. Go to a store and play with a display model first to see how you like the interface, etc.
    Thanks for the very thorough response. Much appreciated.

    I think it's ridiculous that the 750 won't do HTML email; the BB won't either. The 650 will do it, though, whether with Versamail or Chatter. Strange, that...

    Again, thanks.
    elbastardocalvo
  4. Silver5's Avatar
    Posts
    529 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #4  
    I think that Exchange Push email is a better overall solution than the Blackberry email, but it limits you to only one Exchange push account on the device at a time, though you can have other accounts, such as pop3 or imap running at the same time. With the Blackberry you can have up to 10 push accounts running.

    I feel like Exchange is more advanced because I can get past emails as well as all new email...Blackberry limits me only to new messages. If anything is missed then there is no way to get it to the mobile device. This happened to me on my 8700g as well as with BB Connect with my TyTN and it is thoroughly frustrating. Exchange also handles folders almost perfectly. If it is set to go to folders on you desktop with Exchange it does the same on your phone, no matter how deep the folder goes, which is really convenient.
  5. #5  
    WM5 email with Exchange ActiveSync is at least as good, now, as the BES, and it will only get better with WM6. HTML, single key commands ('D' to delete, etc), full Sharepoint document support, and tons more.

    RIM has had their day in the sun; the shadows are looming, and I look forward to it.....
  6. #6  
    I have tried exchange and went to BB and now I'm back to exchange. I find that BB does not sync EVERY folder which is what I want, but exchange does. Also one of the things I love about exchange is that you can actually send emails with attachments.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    I have tried exchange and went to BB and now I'm back to exchange. I find that BB does not sync EVERY folder which is what I want, but exchange does. Also one of the things I love about exchange is that you can actually send emails with attachments.
    So BB won't send email with attachments? Really? I never tried BB before, but without attachment and HTML emailing, what's different between BB and an IM software?
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

    Treo 750 hacks thread.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
    So BB won't send email with attachments? Really? I never tried BB before, but without attachment and HTML emailing, what's different between BB and an IM software?
    Heh. Good question. No - BB does not allow attachment sending (neither does Goodlink and many other server-based middleware solutions).

    That's what I love about Exchange Direct Push, and it's only going to get better with WM6.....

Posting Permissions