1.    #1  
    What ya think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
    What ya think?
    I think what I think don't matter. Moreover, I don't think anyone can say for sure until one is in their hands. Palm likes to play "guess and wonder" games. And apparently so do you! it's only normal! :-)
    Handspring Visor Platinum --> Laptop computer pim+cell phone for years --> Treo 650 Cingular (until it died in the middle of the highway) --> Treo 750 Cingular --> Unbranded/Unlocked Treo 750 --> ???
    I don't know if it would make sense since Cingular is the only network that is compatible with the Treo's 3G network here in the US anyways. I am sure you can unlock and use it up to EDGE speeds on T-Mobile or a smaller regional GSM carrier but I can't see getting a Treo and not being able to harness its full potential. That's just me though, and I know that Cingular sells the 750 in non-3G areas as well. If there is an unlocked Treo, I am sure that once the Cingular-US exclusivity is out, it would be available here in the States just because there will probably be demand from a large segment of the market, mainly business travellers who don't want to deal with unlocking, and customers from other carriers that haven't or won't pick up the Treo officially for their networks. The US is probably one of Palm's biggest, strongest markets.
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanvision View Post
    I don't know if it would make sense since Cingular is the only network that is compatible with the Treo's 3G network here in the US anyways. I am sure you can unlock and use it up to EDGE speeds on T-Mobile or a smaller regional GSM carrier but I can't see getting a Treo and not being able to harness its full potential. That's just me though, and I know that Cingular sells the 750 in non-3G areas as well. If there is an unlocked Treo, I am sure that once the Cingular-US exclusivity is out, it would be available here in the States just because there will probably be demand from a large segment of the market, mainly business travellers who don't want to deal with unlocking, and customers from other carriers that haven't or won't pick up the Treo officially for their networks. The US is probably one of Palm's biggest, strongest markets.
    yeah thats what i was thiniking aswell..
    I thought our 3G here in the U.S. was on a different frequency than Europe's 3G. If that is the case, then a Treo 750 won't be able to use our 3G nework and will be stuck with EDGE as the fastest connection.
    The Treo 750 has tri-band UMTS so it can work anywhere in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    I thought our 3G here in the U.S. was on a different frequency than Europe's 3G. If that is the case, then a Treo 750 won't be able to use our 3G nework and will be stuck with EDGE as the fastest connection.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    The Treo 750 has tri-band UMTS so it can work anywhere in the world.
    If only this were true

As many have pointed out, frequencies vary. Sure, there is SOME carrier in most parts of the world of which the Treo's UMTS will work - but there is, of course, no single carrier.

For those who bought into the "one world" concept of GSM here in the U.S. but opted for T-Mobile, we've been left out (so far).

From the looks of announcements @ 3GSM in Barcelona, T-Mobile U.S. will be getting several 3G-capable phones this year (2007) . It doesn't, however, look like a single phone will be able to jump between all UMTS bands. For instance, the Moto Q Q9 looks to have no less than THREE different 3G-capable variants.

Palm, unfortunately, made no such announcements @ 3GSM...
    So far, it seems that with tri-band UMTS/HSDPA phones (ex: TyTn and variants, as well as the Treo 750), T-Mobile USA is the odd ball out. Here's to hoping that OEMs and ODMs come out with quand-band phones that are quand-band UMTS and HSDPA capable as well, supporting the 1700 spectrum to have seamless roaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by edmc View Post
    If only this were true

Its true.

The treo 750 is a quad band GSM: 850/1900 MHz for the US, 900/1800 MHz for the rest of the world.

And 3 band UMTS: 2100 Mhz for Europe, 850/1900 for US and other countries.

This mean that the Treo works in any GSM country, BTW there are some experiment conducted by Nokia to get UMTS over 900 MHz for easier coverage in rural areas in the 900 MHz world, at the moment this is only a standard proposal.
    -------------------------------------------------

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Quote Originally Posted by edmc View Post
    If only this were true

As many have pointed out, frequencies vary. Sure, there is SOME carrier in most parts of the world of which the Treo's UMTS will work - but there is, of course, no single carrier.

For those who bought into the "one world" concept of GSM here in the U.S. but opted for T-Mobile, we've been left out (so far).

From the looks of announcements @ 3GSM in Barcelona, T-Mobile U.S. will be getting several 3G-capable phones this year (2007) . It doesn't, however, look like a single phone will be able to jump between all UMTS bands. For instance, the Moto Q Q9 looks to have no less than THREE different 3G-capable variants.

Palm, unfortunately, made no such announcements @ 3GSM...

You should actually be mad at T-Mobile for choosing 1700 as their UTMS frequency. It is different from every other carrier and there are currently zero 1700 Mhz UTMS devices out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil View Post
    You should actually be mad at T-Mobile for choosing 1700 as their UTMS frequency. It is different from every other carrier and there are currently zero 1700 Mhz UTMS devices out.
    You are right! You can't go on this stupid network with the treo (in 3g mode), but at the moment no other device in the world can.

What intelligent idea from FCC anf T-Mobile, one network used only by them and not compatible with anything
    -------------------------------------------------

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil View Post
    From what I understand T-Mob did not have a choice, there was not enough spectrum in other frequencys to support a 3G roll out.

If T-Mob (worldwide) starts saying "we require 1700 in our phones" to allow there customers to roam in the states, then developers will put it in or else lose business. T-Mob is a very large and profitable company. How hard/expensive could it be to add 1700 to other frequencys already installed on a device?
    T-Mobile is in fourth place in U.S. carriers. I had them for many years, but left in part based on this stupid decision to use these frequencies for UMTS.

I sincerely doubt that vendors except for those directly supplying to T-Mobile will support this frequency. How many Treos does T-Mobile sell? How many Nokias do they sell? Not many any more.

Quote Originally Posted by madgalaxy View Post
    From what I understand T-Mob did not have a choice, there was not enough spectrum in other frequencys to support a 3G roll out.

If T-Mob (worldwide) starts saying "we require 1700 in our phones" to allow there customers to roam in the states, then developers will put it in or else lose business. T-Mob is a very large and profitable company. How hard/expensive could it be to add 1700 to other frequencys already installed on a device?
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Enough with the T-Mobile bashing. The real point is it appears there will NOT be a "world-capable" 3G phone that works on T-Mobile USA. Rather, it looks like phone carriers will select their "subset" 3G frequencies/bands. This was suggested quite some time ago by the folks bringing out the 3G-capable chipsets (do a search) and now it appears to be coming. So much for "world phone" :-(. Me, being stuck in T-Mobile land for awhile longer, I'm just happy to see 3G phones (and 3G capability) finally appearing that I can use (e.g. the Motorola Q Q9).
    I'd love to be with T-Mobile still. Instead I'm on Sprint and can't do international roaming at all. But since the vast bulk of my phone time is here in the US it makes sense for me to do this. I'm better off getting a SIM when I hit the ground "there," wherever "there" is. Now I just wish I hadn't sold my unlocked 650.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=136120

see my post there if you want it now...
    Handspring Visor Platinum --> Laptop computer pim+cell phone for years --> Treo 650 Cingular (until it died in the middle of the highway) --> Treo 750 Cingular --> Unbranded/Unlocked Treo 750 --> ???
    Quote Originally Posted by madgalaxy View Post

Is that really true they had no choice but to take 1700 in the US? And is their European 3G band 2100?

It really doesn't help that we will not be able to use existing 3G phones with them in the US! How many people are going to jump and buy whole new devices?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I'm not sure if there was no choice, but that was the spectrum they bid on that was auctioned by the FCC.

In Europe, yes it's the 1900/2100 band, UMTS needs two frequencies. Outside the U.S. it's 1900/2100, Cingular uses 850/1900, and T-Mobile will use 1700/2100 (that's why a tri-band 850/1900/2100 supports both Cingular and outside the U.S.).

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Is that really true they had no choice but to take 1700 in the US? And is their European 3G band 2100?

It really doesn't help that we will not be able to use existing 3G phones with them in the US! How many people are going to jump and buy whole new devices?