Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Shadowmite:

I know you are working on a 320x320 screen hack for the 700WX (and the 700W?), but I cannot find any details of this project on your site, nor does it seem to be possible to be a member of your Wiki (at least I cannot figure it out). There seems to me no way to create a new account.

edit: Hack includes physically replacing the screen.

I find nothing on your Wiki or in your forum on this, but I am interested in this project.

Thanks for your help - and I hope this hack comes to fruition.
    Last edited by westronic; 02/16/2007 at 11:43 AM.
    I'm also very interested in this hack as well Shadowmite, if anyone can do it it's you!!
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I never knew this might be possible. Sounds great if it can be done!
    well technically you could take the screen out of a 650/700p and put it into a 700wx... i would think that it would have similar screen connectors... the ones on the 600 were easy enough to take on and off- but getting the WM5 OS to recognize it the right way would be the tough part i imagine... as well as re-calibrating the digitizer for the first time
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    Well this was posted on the PPCGeeks Today Screen thread: HERE

That user seems to have managed to set the resolution to 320x320. I don't have any more details though... I just remembered about that post.
    The post over at PPCGeeks used NYDITOT, which is a virtual display. It basically squeezes the screen down to fit your native resolution. The current WM phones have a limitation of 240x240 due to the phone hardware as well as WM5.

http://treo.discussion.treocentral.c...hlight=NYDITOT
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    The post over at PPCGeeks used NYDITOT, which is a virtual display. It basically squeezes the screen down to fit your native resolution. The current WM phones have a limitation of 240x240 due to the phone hardware as well as WM5.

http://treo.discussion.treocentral.c...hlight=NYDITOT
    Has anyone tried the program and liked it?

http://www.nyditot.com/NVDPage.asp

Its NYDITOT that stroths mentioned and what the person on PPCGEEKS used.

I'm tempted to try it, but I've also read a couple of posts where people have said it asks them to restart the device then it hangs during the restart...that's my only hesitation...atleast until I can make a full backup.

I'm sure there's gotta be some downside to using this virtual display...otherwise I would guess that ALOT of people would be using this program.
    For those interested, here is what shadomite posted over at http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&postcount=14

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite View Post
    the 700p and 700wx most certainly use 2 different screens. I am already involved in a project to upgrade the 700wx to use 320x320 via a screen swap and a driver hack coupled with setting up the pxa-272 properly to know what size screen it'll have. Basically, for the 700wx to use 320x320 you need 3 things:

1) Screen replacement (650 screen works)

2) CPU boot flags hack (setting up the properly pixels per line and line numbers)

3) Hacking the driver for wm5 to do 1.5 time multiples

For #3, there is some virtual display software already out that is able to hack the driver for us, it detects the pxa flags resolution and will allow 320x320 to run in wm5... #2 is what I'm playing with... Anyone who understand what I just said, please feel free to come help out!
  9.    #9  
    I wonder how NYDITOT would work with the 320x320 physical screen replacement?
  10.    #10  
    Hmmm.... NYDITOT has a "DPI Resource Pack" that just might do what we want. Or maybe they could modify it to work for us.

I'll ask them.
    I just installed NYTITOT to test it. I didn't have any problems installing it or changing the settings to 320x320. After changing it though, it made the text really hard to read. I could see the icons fine, and I probably could enlarge the text, but its definitely a big trade-off between clarity and resolution. While I could see the icons, they weren't as clear as they are at 240x240.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
    I just installed NYTITOT to test it. I didn't have any problems installing it or changing the settings to 320x320. After changing it though, it made the text really hard to read. I could see the icons fine, and I probably could enlarge the text, but its definitely a big trade-off between clarity and resolution. While I could see the icons, they weren't as clear as they are at 240x240.
    Ah, but the real test would be to see if it would support an actual 320x320 screen replacement. We'll see what they say...
    It should be able to, notice it shows the hardware capabilities as well as the software settings. I believe with the pxa set to use a 320x320 that software will set wm5 to use it at the proper settings... That's the theory anyhow. I haven't created a wiki entry about it yet... I need to get to that.
    shadomite, have you tried installing WM6 on your 700wx? Or would you have to kill me if you told me?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite View Post
    It should be able to, notice it shows the hardware capabilities as well as the software settings. I believe with the pxa set to use a 320x320 that software will set wm5 to use it at the proper settings... That's the theory anyhow. I haven't created a wiki entry about it yet... I need to get to that.
    Anyone care to check this out? They do have a trial copy, I think. I do not have a 320x320 spare screen or I'd give it a go.
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic View Post
    Anyone care to check this out? They do have a trial copy, I think. I do not have a 320x320 spare screen or I'd give it a go.
    I do have an extra 700p laying around. I'd like to try to upgrade my 700wx to the 320x320 screen. I think that screen is far superior to the 700wx. Changing to the 700wx was a drag due to the screen. but I have gotten used to the lesser quality screen.

I'll look into this software.

GC
    Sorry to state the obivous..(and maybe its a dumb question?) but the 700P appears to be the same hardware as the 700w/wx with the exception of the Screen and the OS. So (Shadowmite are you listening?) why not start with a 700P (320 x 320) and convert to WM (vzw 700wx rom?) and then upgrade to WM6. Can you do it mister wizard??
    well i've got a few extra treo 650s kicking around, so i might try the screen swap- but i dont think that it's as simple as just plug and play... heh- i wish!
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Well bad news...I tried a direct swap in addition to loading that software mentioned above to alter the screen resolution to 320x320 and it didn't work.

When I finished loading the software, I set the screen to 320x320. It showed it fine. Then I took apart both treos that I have, the 700p and the 700wx. I swapped the screens so my 700wx will have the 320x320 screen in it. When I went to turn it on, it did not display anything. I know it booted up fine and I was able to hook it up to my laptop, but I just couldn't seen anything on the screen of my treo 700wx.

Maybe I set something wrong with the software. I'm not sure. When I looked at the connection ribbon of teh 320 screen and compared it to the 240 screen, I did notice some differences in the banding. I'm not sure if this makes a difference. See the enclosed pics. The screen on the left is the 240 and the one to the right is the 320. Please notice the copper foil on the backing of the 320screen compared to the 240. I noticed that the 700wx motherboard had metallic contacts that the copper foil would prevent. Does this have anything to do with it? I didn't get much a chance to experiement further, but if someone sees something or knows more please share.

Thanks,

GC

those connectors look different- as if the contacts are on the wrong side or something... i would try to put something non-conductive on the foil just in case that is hitting anything and trying again- obviously don't put the phone back together all the way while doing it...
    but to me- the physical connectors are just different... is it possible for you to get a macro shot of both connectors close up from both sides? i'll see if i can get my 650 apart today to see if its screen is similar- unless someone already has photos online...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast