Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Hello all,
    It looks like I am left on my own to figure out our exchange server issues.
    I am not the IT guy but if I can get some info maybe I can "Help" them along!

Treo 750 WM Cingular
    Using Active sync and our exchange server.
    IT tells me it's version 4.0.3.6 for the server and the phone software being 4.8.1.14.

My Issue:
    All mail is not reaching the Treo. Sometimes hours for the phone to pull down if at all.
    Weird Issue: If I access the webmail either on my desktop or through my 750 browser and read the message, the next time I sync the email shows up in outlook on the 750
    I have it set to sync every 5 minutes.

Does anyone have any insight?
    I have been fighting to keep the 750 as my work phone.
    I feel Company/IT just wants us all to go BB!!!
    Do you have your Treo set to recieve items "As items arrive"?
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    No I have it set for every 5 min to save on the battery.
    Are you suggesting I change it?
    Quote Originally Posted by bg1260 View Post
    No I have it set for every 5 min to save on the battery.
    Are you suggesting I change it?
    yes change it and see if that helps with synching
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    When I set this it asks for a "Text messaging address"
    I'm not sure what that is.
    When I set this it asks for a "Text messaging address"
    I'm not sure what that is.
    hmm it sounds like your server does not have SP2 installed.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Since I'm not IT I'd have to ask.
    If it had SP2 would this message not come up?
    Excuse my ignorance but what is SP2?
    Is it the same as the XP upgrade I did a while ago only on my personal PC?
    Since I'm not IT I'd have to ask.
    If it had SP2 would this message not come up?
    Excuse my ignorance but what is SP2?
    Is it the same as the XP upgrade I did a while ago only on my personal PC?
    SP2 for the Exchange Server that your IT people are managing. If they do not have this installed, you will not be able to synce OTA (over the air). MS Exchange Server is not autotmatically configured to sync with mobile devices (and each mobile platform requires a separate service to be installed and running on the Exchange Server side - Blackberry Enterprise Server, Good Messaging Server, Exchange OTA Activesync, etx.)

Btw, 'As Item Arrives' typically would be better for your battery than checking every 5 minutes.

Someone will correct any misinformation in my post, but this is how I understand how this stuff works. Talk to your IT folks and see if they have turned on the option to sync OTA with WM devices.

Moppet52
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Thanks I'll check with them.
    But will doing what you say and having SP2 make the "Text Messaging Question" go away?
    Quote Originally Posted by moppet52 View Post
    SP2 for the Exchange Server that your IT people are managing. If they do not have this installed, you will not be able to synce OTA (over the air). MS Exchange Server is not autotmatically configured to sync with mobile devices (and each mobile platform requires a separate service to be installed and running on the Exchange Server side - Blackberry Enterprise Server, Good Messaging Server, Exchange OTA Activesync, etx.)

Btw, 'As Item Arrives' typically would be better for your battery than checking every 5 minutes.

Someone will correct any misinformation in my post, but this is how I understand how this stuff works. Talk to your IT folks and see if they have turned on the option to sync OTA with WM devices.

Moppet52
    You are right on the money. Your IT staff must install Exchange 2003 SP2 which added the Over the Air mobile synching functionality (Push). It sounds like they don't have it configured properly since you are able to get some messages but not others.
    Thanks I'll check with them.
    But will doing what you say and having SP2 make the "Text Messaging Question" go away?
    Yes, it will.

Direct push does not utilize text messaging to trigger a pull. It is direct push
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Actually it's a little more complicated than that. Exchange SP2 does support Direct Push, however, with Windows Mobile, you need the newest version of WM5 on your device. The older version used SMS to trigger a sync whenever something changed on the server. With my TMobile SDA for example, I had to flash the phone with the latest Imate firmware to get Exchange Direct Push to work. The US, TMobile firmware did not have this feature enabled. With the Treo, I just got this all working on my 680. I had to back up the phone, do a hard reset, load the Exchange Active Sync patch and then setup my account. It all works now!

With WM5 Treos, I am not sure what version of the OS they are using. I wouldn't be surprised if the Verizon version is not the latest. Not sure how one could update it unless Verizon already has the update done.

Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    Yes, it will.

Direct push does not utilize text messaging to trigger a pull. It is direct push
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum View Post
    Actually it's a little more complicated than that. Exchange SP2 does support Direct Push, however, with Windows Mobile, you need the newest version of WM5 on your device. The older version used SMS to trigger a sync whenever something changed on the server. With my TMobile SDA for example, I had to flash the phone with the latest Imate firmware to get Exchange Direct Push to work. The US, TMobile firmware did not have this feature enabled. With the Treo, I just got this all working on my 680. I had to back up the phone, do a hard reset, load the Exchange Active Sync patch and then setup my account. It all works now!

With WM5 Treos, I am not sure what version of the OS they are using. I wouldn't be surprised if the Verizon version is not the latest. Not sure how one could update it unless Verizon already has the update done.
    I believe what you're trying to say is WM devices need to have AKU 2 or greater to enable push mail. All the WM Treos should already have AKU2, so this is more likely a server-side problem than a problem with the OP's Treo.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I am able to receive messsages using the AUTD (text messaging option) but not when I choose the mobile device number.

I asked our IT person and he says he is running SP2. Is there anything else he needs to do? Maybe some option to turn on?

Just to clarify, Exchange 2003 SP2 has the components to support Direct Push, however to take advantage of it on the devce side you have to have a WM 5.0 or greater device.

Pre Exchange 2003 SP2 and Pre WM5 devices use AUTD which is an SMS based email "Pull" package where an SMS is sent from the server to the device telling the device to synch with the server when a new message arrives.

Do do "Push" all you need is Exchange 203 SP2 and a WM5 device (Any AKU)
    quote:
    Do do "Push" all you need is Exchange 203 SP2 and a WM5 device (Any AKU)

Not actually true. I can speak from personal experience, at least on a Verizon 700w, about AKU differences. When the 700w was launched originally last year, the ROM of that device at release time still needed the SMS trigger option. In the May timeframe, VZ and Palm released the MSFP ROM update - Messaging & Security Feature Pack - for the 700w, which delivered direct IP push (no more SMS trigger), GAL lookup, and, when paired with an SP2, Exchange2003 server, the ability to remotely wipe and kill the device, etc. All those things came as part of the ROM update - which I think was AKU 2.2 or something like that. Point is that the Direct Push function requires MSFP, which, yes, <should> be out on all devices now, but it all depends on when the device in question was purchased.

Now - for the original poster, it's safe to assume his device has MSFP on it, so then, why is he seeing the SMS option when he's setting things up? Has to be something on the server side, OR - he's loaded up some funky ROM that doesn't have the latest AKU on it, and that doesn't have MSFP.

Check these and let us know what they say:

1. Your phone software version -
    Start/Settings/System Tab/About - what does it say for the Version tab?

2. And then go over to the Phone tab at the bottom, and tell us what it says for the Software version there, and also the Firmware version.

Those might be able to help us undestand what version of ROM you have. I know some folks at Palm who can help us diagnose what you have.

Come on guys, he has a 750. No need to complicate things by bringing aku into the discussion. Obviously his software supports direct push. The 750 is 6 months old.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Your small business server or exchange server needs to have OWA enabled.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Hi guys
    thanks for looking into this for me.
    JohnnyMac here is the info you requested:

1. Your phone software version -
    Start/Settings/System Tab/About - what does it say for the Version tab?

version 5.0 OS 5.1.195 (build14959.2.3.2)

2. And then go over to the Phone tab at the bottom, and tell us what it says for the Software version there, and also the Firmware version.

TREO750-1.13-CNG Firm 1.17.20.00