Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Do you guys think we will see Treos with Builtin GPS receiver in the future? i dont want to carry around the GPS receiver everywhere i go.

Thanks
    Last edited by aznspiki; 02/16/2007 at 03:03 PM.
    "Built in" do you mean?

Yes.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    It does seem like a natural thing to add... but will it sell well enough at a presumably significantly higher price?
    Last edited by westronic; 02/16/2007 at 01:00 PM.
    You already see it on competing devices like the blackberry and it even is becoming common on regular handsets.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    You already see it on competing devices like the blackberry and it even is becoming common on regular handsets.
    Really. True GPS as opposed to locating services to find you for 911 calls? True GPS would be really cool.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    yes.. they have true GPS on regular handsets couple of yrs ago but not yet on Treo.
    I think when the 700w(x) was first announced, they said it was going to have built-in GPS functionality. If you've seen the size of the Holux 240 bluetooth GPS receiver, I can't imagine why they wouldn't put native GPS into more devices.
    I duct taped my tomtom gps receiver to my wx It looks mighty shinny
    I'm content not having it on board.It would cost us more battery life leading to more everyday difficulties....ask the ipaq 6915 owners.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiguy View Post
    I think when the 700w(x) was first announced, they said it was going to have built-in GPS functionality. If you've seen the size of the Holux 240 bluetooth GPS receiver, I can't imagine why they wouldn't put native GPS into more devices.
    One of the reasons might be that the "regular phones" that have the receivers built in are revenue generators because they charge for the service monthly. On the treos or smartphones, they might think that it would be too easy for workarounds that would yield their "service" useless.

Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    I duct taped my tomtom gps receiver to my wx It looks mighty shinny
    I'm content not having it on board.It would cost us more battery life leading to more everyday difficulties....ask the ipaq 6915 owners.
    The only time I wish it was built-in is when I'm not in my car and have a sudden need for directions--like in a friends' car. Aside from that, leaving the bt receiver in my glovebox is fine with me (especially since I have a power adapter in there).

Though I have no hard evidence to back it up, I doubt having it integrated, as long as you could turn it on and off at will, would use any more juice than using it via bluetooth (maybe even less, perhaps).

One of the reasons might be that the "regular phones" that have the receivers built in are revenue generators because they charge for the service monthly. On the treos or smartphones, they might think that it would be too easy for workarounds that would yield their "service" useless.

Just a thought.
    Or just have it as an added feature, not as a service. Like "GPS capability included (additional software required)."
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    The only time I wish it was built-in is when I'm not in my car and have a sudden need for directions--like in a friends' car. Aside from that, leaving the bt receiver in my glovebox is fine with me (especially since I have a power adapter in there).

Though I have no hard evidence to back it up, I doubt having it integrated, as long as you could turn it on and off at will, would use any more juice than using it via bluetooth (maybe even less, perhaps).

Or just have it as an added feature, not as a service. Like "GPS capability included (additional software required)."
    you can leave the bt receiver in the glovebox and still get satellite siginal? i think you have a very good and expensive receiver...
    It's not very expensive (got it new on ebay for 40 bucks plus shipping). I have two receivers: one is super small but not sensitive enough to be in the glovebox, the other slightly larger (matchbox size) and super sensitive. That particular one is an iBlue 737 (same as the Qstarz 810) with the MTK chipset. Solid receiver...
    Some one should try to take advantage of the built in GPS capabilities already installed in the 700wx's.
    aznspiki, the Globalsat 339 (i think that's the model), which is the one sold by Cingular in their corporate stores, is very good. I have that in glovebox too and it even gets signal indoors. It's about 100 retail.

Most SIRFStar III Gps models get pretty good reception.
    Quote Originally Posted by CTLADV View Post
    Some one should try to take advantage of the built in GPS capabilities already installed in the 700wx's.
    Before another long thread is started, let me nip this right in the bud. Search the forum, this topic has been hashed to *death* already in other threads and answered by experts who know.

The GPS that's used for 911 calls isn't the same as regular GPS, it relies on cell tower interpolation. It doesn't use the same protocol, and doesn't provide the constant "stream" of data required by GPS software, it wasn't designed for that purpose.

I may be mangling the details, but simply put, it cannot be done. Period. PERIOD.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    It's not very expensive (got it new on ebay for 40 bucks plus shipping). I have two receivers: one is super small but not sensitive enough to be in the glovebox, the other slightly larger (matchbox size) and super sensitive. That particular one is an iBlue 737 (same as the Qstarz 810) with the MTK chipset. Solid receiver...
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanvision View Post
    aznspiki, the Globalsat 339 (i think that's the model), which is the one sold by Cingular in their corporate stores, is very good. I have that in glovebox too and it even gets signal indoors. It's about 100 retail.

Most SIRFStar III Gps models get pretty good reception.

so which one is better iBlue 737 or Globalsat 339 to put it in the Glovebox?
    I was at 3GSM last week where one of the GPS software vendors said that Palm will have a new Treo with a built-in GPS chip later this year.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by aznspiki View Post
    so which one is better iBlue 737 or Globalsat 339 to put it in the Glovebox?
    I can't speak of the Globalsat, but trojanvision seems to have had a good experience with it. I really like the iBlue--also sold as the QStarz Q810--for many reasons (very sensitive, user replaceable batter, sleep mode, size). It picks up a signal in certain areas in my house, even on the bottom story. My other adapter can't even be under a carport! Take a look at www.buygpsnow.com. They have user reviews of all the different adapters they sell.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    I've got a globalsat-339 reciever and its awesome not to big, about the width of a zippo lighter but a little taller and its great I can leave it in the glove box and it works no problem. It works great indoors and havent had any problems while driving in the city with tall buildings all around. I havent tried it in the woods or anything but I would asume it would do fine there as well. You can get it from cingular for $99 I looked online and found them for about the same price but would have had to pay for shipping so I just picked one up at the store.