Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I realize this may be an "apples to oranges" comparison but for those who choose the 750 over the 680, are you happy with your choice?

Is the WM environment more stable than the Palm OS? Does your battery make a better paper wieght than power source?

I'm getting really frustrated with the Palm OS and while the Samsung BlackJack has some appeal, I'm concerned it won't be eligible for an upgrade to WM6.

I don't like the 680's battery life (even though the Seidio Extended Battery has helped) and I'm finding the need for soft resets increasing the more I use the phone. I'm not a power user by any means and utilize the 680 to check email throughout the day, check the weather, and keep track of contacts/appointments.

Coming from a 680 would I be pleased with the 750?
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I made the very transition you are describing, while my wife kept her 680. I think Im going back to Palm.

If you use your phon as a modem, the broadband speeds on the 750 are what you need. Otherwise, in terms of page rendering on PIE versus BROWSER, eveb with the 680s far slower EDGE speeds, the perceptible difference is minimal. The process of rendering pages to mobile size serves as a bottleneck no matter how fast your data speeds. I have the HSPDA HACK and am getting 800 to 900 kbps compared to 130-180 on the 680. The difference in reading pages online and listening to internet radio is negligible.

Im not a big mobile video guy, but imagine you would see a difference there.

As for battery life, I got better results with the 680. Running multiple apps on the 750 is a drain.

I hve always found that WM5 freezes up far more often than POS, again a function of multitasking. So that's my take on stability.

The 320x320 display was for me a big loss.

So, it depends on your uses and aesthetic tastes Im a lawyer. I need a good PIM, document editor and email,SMS system. I surf the net while in court waiting. I listen to ALOT of internet radio and I read ebooks. I don't use my phone as a modem.

For that profile, I believe the 680 is better suited.
  3.    #3  
    Counselor.... I'm shocked that you'd surf the internet while in court! I've seen judges doze off but can't say that I've seen an attorney surfing the web.

I kept hearing that WM was more stable than Palm OS. Are the headaches software related or device related? Surely someone's figured out a way to have a multi-function phone that accesses the internet, email, PIM features and has good call clarity that's stable.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Counselor.... I'm shocked that you'd surf the internet while in court! I've seen judges doze off but can't say that I've seen an attorney surfing the web.

I kept hearing that WM was more stable than Palm OS. Are the headaches software related or device related? Surely someone's figured out a way to have a multi-function phone that accesses the internet, email, PIM features and has good call clarity that's stable.
    ...I just stay away from the interesting stuff in court. NO howardstern.com

My observations on WM5 is that it slows down easily (you get delays and spinning wheels alot) but it doesn't freeze very much. Plus, xcpuscalar really moves these along.

You really have to try it and see for yourself.
    i had a Treo 650 then moved on to an 8125 and never looked back.
    Well I'm about to try a 750 and will keep my 680 so that I can pop back and forth. I can post about my experiences once I've had it a while. I admit to being predisposed to NOT liking WM5 after trying an 8525 (which was promptly returned) after realizing merely reading an email was a multi-step chore on WM5. Reading messages and handling them across 5 emails accounts was a nightmare. BUT I am hoping the Treo formfactor coupled with some third party apps and/or a WM6 upgrade downstream may make a transition possible for me. So we'll see....
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Well I'm about to try a 750 and will keep my 680 so that I can pop back and forth. I can post about my experiences once I've had it a while. I admit to being predisposed to NOT liking WM5 after trying an 8525 (which was promptly returned) after realizing merely reading an email was a multi-step chore on WM5. Reading messages and handling them across 5 emails accounts was a nightmare. BUT I am hoping the Treo formfactor coupled with some third party apps and/or a WM6 upgrade downstream may make a transition possible for me. So we'll see....
    It would be nice of you to post that. I'm scheduled to pickup a 750v tomorrow so i can compare myself, but i dont really like WM, but i do like multi tasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by ion++ View Post
    It would be nice of you to post that. I'm scheduled to pickup a 750v tomorrow so i can compare myself, but i dont really like WM, but i do like multi tasking.
    We'll do. I am interested in the UTMS support but the multi-tasking is also appealing to me too. My biggest complaint about WM5 really comes down to that of poor one-handed support. I wish there were more apps being developed to streamline WM5 and make one-handed operation on the Treo more the norm. It seems Palm tried to do this to some extent but I'd like to see more firms designing software for WM5/6 with this in mind. If they do, good things will follow as I believe focusing on that aspect of the user experience alone will make WM5/6 a real contender to POS.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    i'ld like stereo bluetooth as well, but i'm not too fond of WM.
    I just went to the TyTN which is the faster cousin of the 8125 (apparently identical to the 8525) and am liking it pretty much although discovered a bug when I went to set an alarm for the first time. Dog bark of course was the audio I chose; now I can't get the puppy to shut up. HTC knows about this but isn't all that helpful in getting it fixed. I am missing my Treo 600 for stability. Went to a 650 and with lower usable memory had the unending loop problem that many have experienced. The only thing the 600 didn't have was bluetooth, which I would miss. But other than that, I'd give up all the other stuff to have a reliable, stable palm again. How have people found the 680 by comparison? Is the memory enough to have a database of 7,000+ as I did on my Treo 600? It worked flawlessly and I stupidly traded it, thinking since the 650 was newer, it MUST be better (ah the naivete).

Robert
    After my Treo 600 died last summer I bought an 8125 to use until a replacement for the then current 650 (the 680) was available. I was very much a Palm OS guy and intended to use the 8125 as only a temporary fix until the next Treo was out. I was very surprised by how stable WM 5 was compared to previous versions and really enjoyed that I could synch an unlimited # of categories between Outlook and the device. I also did not like the built-in data restriction on the PIM notes section of my contacts, calendar and task items with the Palm OS. When I got the 680 in December I so very much loved the higher resolution screen and the new antenna free slimmer feel of the Hardware in my hand and felt good to be back with Palm OS. After 4 days however, I started experiencing resets (zero 3rd party add-ins) and synch issues. I also struggled with the bizarre battery drain charge issue. I decided that $400 was too much to pay to deal with this kind of instability. I really don't care if I use Palm OS or WM 5/6. After you adjust to the differences it really is no big deal other than some folks perhaps missing the 320 x 320 resolution of the Palm OS. Even this did not bug me that much.

What I absolutely require however is basic reliability and I seem to have that with the 750. I have not had one random reset in the past month.

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    I was in a Cingular store this afternoon and played around with a 680 ( I have a 750 ) and cannot imagine going back to a Palm interface. I am a total WM convert after being a loyal Palm fan. The integration into outlook blows Palm away IMO. Having all my e-mail, calendar, contacts, tasks and corp addr look up is fantastic.

If you are a newbie to a smartphone then a 680 is a good first step. If you have had a smartphone and want to step up then the 750 is a fantastic phone!
    I would agree that the 750 rocks compared to the 680. Palm really needs to upgrade the OS(hint: PalmLinux). I've had mine for two weeks now and have not had any problems. Sure it take some time to get use to WM but the manual and all of advice here really allows for a smooth transition. Plus you can't beat the sweetheart deal I got ($234.40) through cingy customer service!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers View Post
    I was in a Cingular store this afternoon and played around with a 680 ( I have a 750 ) and cannot imagine going back to a Palm interface. I am a total WM convert after being a loyal Palm fan. The integration into outlook blows Palm away IMO. Having all my e-mail, calendar, contacts, tasks and corp addr look up is fantastic.

If you are a newbie to a smartphone then a 680 is a good first step. If you have had a smartphone and want to step up then the 750 is a fantastic phone!
    In terms of Outlook integration, the only hope for the Palm OS to fully achieve this is to use a $70.00 3rd party app from Chapura called "Key Suite." I used this on my old Treo 600 and it made possible full data fields synching from Outlook with data item linking also on the handheld. With the 680 however the new phone & contacts app is hard coded into the device so Chapura is still working on some kind of solution around this so that contacts can be quick type searched and that caller ID can function, etc. For Chapura to be behind the curve on this at this late date does not bode well for confidence that their Key Suite will have a future as an Outlook synching solution. They may crack the code sometime but until they do, for those using Outlook on their PC's, the 750 is a more complete way to go.

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Those users who have kept both devices, do you sync both of them to the same PC/Mac? And if you do, do you have any sync issues?
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers View Post

Same here. Palm OS now is too rudimentary for me.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    i know this may not be the best place to post this question, but has anyone here made the transition to the 750 from the 680 and also switched carriers? I am currently on TMO and have been interested in switching to the 750 and Cingular, but Cingular seems very expensive for their plans, comapred to TMO.

Thanks.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Do you need or want UMTS speeds? That's the only good reason, unless you're also getting bad reception on T-Mobile. You could also use an unlocked 750 on EDGE. Many don't see why anyone would waste the UMTS, but honestly if you use phone and email more than web surfing, I think you could get away with it. I get pretty clear sound on my EDGE phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Do you need or want UMTS speeds? That's the only good reason, unless you're also getting bad reception on T-Mobile. You could also use an unlocked 750 on EDGE. Many don't see why anyone would waste the UMTS, but honestly if you use phone and email more than web surfing, I think you could get away with it. I get pretty clear sound on my EDGE phones.
    i would think that getting a 750 i should probably have a network that fully takes advantage of the phone's capabilities. also, is there an unlocked version of the 750 available yet?
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Not officially. You'd have to get an unlocked 750v or SIM unlocked Cingular.

Your only choice is Cingular's high data rates if you want to take full advantage of the 750.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast