Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 76
  1. #41  
    Thanks moderateinny, I agree. Your a good guy in my book.
  2.    #42  
    Thanks for all the input.

    I'm familiar with Windows Mobile on a PDA back before smartphones came into existance. I haven't, however, had a smartphone with WM. All my smartphone experience is with Palm OS.

    I like Palm OS but HATE the instability. I don't know if it's a programming issue or a device issue or a carrier issue but I'm getting tired of the 680 freezing. It's tremendously better than the 650 but still, when I buy a Treo I don't pay to spend my time resetting the device.

    From what I remember of WM, the one thing that I didn't like is the programs running in the background. I can remember with the Ipaqs you had a control panel you had to open at the bottom of the screen to shut things down. I could see how this would drain the battery really easy.

    I have considered the BlackJack but from what I can tell, it's a chopped up version of WM and battery life isn't that great. I would like to see Cingular commit to upgrade WM on this device and don't know if it's a good idea to invest in one without such a commitment.

    Tough call.... just don't know.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRitter View Post
    Thanks moderateinny, I agree. Your a good guy in my book.
    You're a gentlemen too. Now lets talk about gadgets!
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Thanks for all the input.

    I'm familiar with Windows Mobile on a PDA back before smartphones came into existance. I haven't, however, had a smartphone with WM. All my smartphone experience is with Palm OS.

    I like Palm OS but HATE the instability. I don't know if it's a programming issue or a device issue or a carrier issue but I'm getting tired of the 680 freezing. It's tremendously better than the 650 but still, when I buy a Treo I don't pay to spend my time resetting the device.

    From what I remember of WM, the one thing that I didn't like is the programs running in the background. I can remember with the Ipaqs you had a control panel you had to open at the bottom of the screen to shut things down. I could see how this would drain the battery really easy.

    I have considered the BlackJack but from what I can tell, it's a chopped up version of WM and battery life isn't that great. I would like to see Cingular commit to upgrade WM on this device and don't know if it's a good idea to invest in one without such a commitment.

    Tough call.... just don't know.
    I think you've got a good handle on it. I'm like you in that I've mostly owned Palm OS products since the first Palm PDA. I tried a PPC version of the Samsung i500 (I cannot remember what Verizon calls it) and more recently the HTC TyTn and just couldn't warm up to them. On the Treo side I generally like the 680 and stability hasn't been too bad for me. But it has no UTMS or true multitasking.

    Ironically, while the 750 does true multitasking, it seems I need to buy a $30 piece of software from xBar3 to really give me what I want. I think JamesRitter is correct in that you need time to adjust to the 750. But after a few days, and the help of some apps like SPB Diary, its becoming more than tolerable.

    RE: stability. This area has disappointed me to be honest. The 750 is more than capable of locking up and while it has almost always been in the process of me trying new apps (Cequints beta CityID for instance), it hardly seems bullet proof. I also keep getting and error about "tmail.exe" having an issue. Not sure if this is vgsmail or SPB Diary or Outlook itself causing this.

    For now I am keeping both but haven't turned the 680 back on yet since the 750 arrived. Perhaps thats telling.... dunno.
  5. #45  
    I have found battery life to be almost identical between my 700p and my 700wx but this may be because I almost
    never leave apps running. I may launch 5 applications in a 10 minute session but before I power off the device I push 1 button to view a list of running apps then hit 1 button to close them all. Also since I use magicbutton I can see if an unused application is running in the background. It will show an icon at the top of the screen. This is handy since active sync likes to initiate itself for nor reason. IMHO WM is more stable. I use identical programs between both OS's such as Unbound Medicine, TownCompass reference books and PocketLingo dictionaries offer the exact same programs for PPC and Palm. I have several of these applications that cause the 700p to reset but the exact same action will only cause an error message on the wx. Of course this means the software is flawed but the fact is that PPC handles these issues more successfully. But there will always be users who have the inverse experience.

    If you want to give WM a shot then the WM Treo is the way to go. Like I said Palm did an awesome job of improving WM on this device.

    I would steer clear of the WM for smartphone such as the Samsung I600 type. Going from Palm to PPC is a moderate adjustment. Going from Palm to WM for smartphone would be horrible dissapointing, but I have read of happy users that made the transition.

    If it helps at all here is a thread I started after going from palm to PPC. http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=101080 I know, I know,,, my user name use to be Tem..... Believe it or not I got hopping mad and took everything said in this thread http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=109537 personally so I changed my password to something I'd forget then deleted my cookies.

    The main issues you emphasized were battery life and stability. If that is the case you should be pretty happy with the 750 when you get it. No pdaphone has enough juice, I always carry 2 batteries.
  6. #46  
    Just my pennies,
    I had the unlocked graphite 680 for 3 weeks. The first one went back after 2 weeks and the second after 1 week and before my trial period was up. A few problems that the 680 has that the 750 doesn't have. My observations are when I owned the phone and before any fixes.

    Battery life with the 680 was cr*p, the 750 is much better.

    The ear speaker and hands free speaker on the 680 was muted compared to the 750. The hands free speaker was the most distinguishable.

    On the 680 by the ringer switch is an IR cover on both phones it go so loose I thought it was going to pop off, the 750 IR is in a different place even though it very solid.

    Finally what really changed my mind was the quality build of the 680 compared to the 750. If you do a side by side comparison of both phones you will notice a dramatic difference in the quality of both phones the 680 is a very cheap feeling phone compared to how solid the 750 feels. The QWERTY pad on the 680, on some keys it was normal on others the keys felt spongy and well used , also the red power button was sunken in more than the green one. On the 750 the keys all feel the same: responsive, with a distinct click, and firm, also no sunken in keys.

    So far I have had the 750 for 3 weeks, and I have 0 problems with it. I got a 2gb transend card and it works perfectly. With the 750 I'm 110% satisfied.
  7. ion++'s Avatar
    Posts
    299 Posts
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by petesonline View Post
    The QWERTY pad on the 680, on some keys it was normal on others the keys felt spongy and well used , also the red power button was sunken in more than the green one. On the 750 the keys all feel the same: responsive, with a distinct click, and firm, also no sunken in keys.
    I think the 750 keyboard requires too much pressure compared to my 650. On my 750 I often miss a character though i did press the key, this did not happen with my 650. I have not tried the 680 enough to know.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRitter View Post
    Thanks moderateinny, I agree. Your a good guy in my book.
    James!!! You've gotten feisty...is that the WM making you a "hot head"?? Tsk, Tsk...

    To keep on topic (because I don't want moderateinny getting mad at me) I love the 680 for all the reasons others have already mentioned. But, I'm a die hard Palm fan...
  9. #49  
    Chris I knew I was in trouble when I opened the page and saw your name. ;-)

    As for the extra pressure needed to punch a key on a 750 I really like that. The 650, 700p, and 700wx had softer keys and I often got double letters cause I felt for a spit second that the key didn't get pressed.
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 02/23/2007 at 04:26 PM.
  10. #50  
    I stuck a 4GB SD card in today (after fomatting it for FAT32 and rebooting) and it works great. I also fired up TomTom and have it working nicely as well. Using MagicButton (thanks JamesRitter) I can now multi-task a lot easier. Also, my Plantronics 665 seems to work flawlessly on this - I had major BT problems with the 680 no matter what headset I tried. So I am getting to a point where I like this phone.

    Battery life on the 750 has been pretty bad for me though. I think I was spoiled with Chatter's power optimizations that helped preserve battery life. Dunno.
  11. #51  
    Depending on your theme, MagicButton may give a 2-tone appearance in that upper bar but you can use UITweaker to fix it http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/uitweaker.shtml Also Magic button has a nice battery indicator that shows as a white line at the top of the screen.
  12. #52  
    Nice one, thanks.

    Now is there anyway to search for company names in the Today page search? It seems to only work with first/last name.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Nice one, thanks.

    Now is there anyway to search for company names in the Today page search? It seems to only work with first/last name.
    Yes from the today screen you can go to menu, contacts, menu, view by, company, dpad. This allows you to search by company and last name instead of first and last name.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by petesonline View Post
    With the 750 I'm 110% satisfied.

    Im with you, This is my 7th Treo and all though I have loved them all,,,,,,this time Palm got everything right. But my opinion doesn't directly relate to the OP's Q since I have only played with the 680 in the store.
  15. #55  
    my 680's super...haven't been near a 750 though.....
  16.    #56  
    Curious.... the 680 uses a SD card while the 750 uses the mini-SD. Any reason for the difference?

    And help jog my memory.... WM has pocket excel and word, right?
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Curious.... the 680 uses a SD card while the 750 uses the mini-SD. Any reason for the difference?

    And help jog my memory.... WM has pocket excel and word, right?
    I can only guess that the 750 has more hardware and the mini uses less space. The 750 has Excel Mobile, Picsel PDF reader, Power Point Mobile, and Word Mobile which is great because the Documents to Go Pro that I always used on palm was famous for corrupting files http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=65618
  18. #58  
    I'm betting its the built in IR that physically took up too much precious space on the 750 that led them to using mini-SD. You can bet if they cram more into another model they'll end up at micro-SD.
  19. #59  
    Apparently the quadband gsm and triband UMTS radio is much larger than just a gsm radio, and miniSD handware much smaller on the motherboard. Both the750 and 680 has IR onboard (yes, I was wrong, I admit it )

    Surur
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Apparently the quadband gsm and triband UMTS radio is much larger than just a gsm radio, and miniSD handware much smaller on the motherboard. Both the750 and 680 has IR onboard (yes, I was wrong, I admit it )

    Surur
    That probably makes sense. I was referring to the location of the IR sensor on the 750 and didn't mean to imply the 680 had no IR....its located at the top. But presumably the quadband GSM/triband UTMS parts are located near the top internally on the 750, thus pushing the IR off to the side.

    Nonetheless, I've run into the dreaded disappearing SD card problem and worse, found that my Seidio 2350s GPS dock neither charges the 750 nor connects in anyway via serial GPS device. So my party may be short lived as this thing is starting to cost me way more than my 680. I paid $150 for the 680 and nearly $500 for the 750. Now to add insult to injury I have to replace my desktop charger (another Seidio piece of crap) and my GPS car cradle...also had to buy a mini SD card....I'll be out darn near $800 just to switch to a 750!

    Any tips on getting serial GPS receivers to work with WM5 would be helpful. The dock gets power so even if it doesn't charge the phone I cannot figure out why it wouldn't still work via serial as a GPS receiver.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions