Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Not officially. You'd have to get an unlocked 750v or SIM unlocked Cingular.

Your only choice is Cingular's high data rates if you want to take full advantage of the 750.
    what would you suggest? is it worth it to switch?
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    It's up to you. What're YOUR needs or wants?

If T-Mobile USA hadn't messed around and been so late to 3G and had better phones, I'd have been with them full-time due to cost.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    well i just implemented an exchange server at my office for my email. i think that the 750 may be better at handling email, contacts and calendar than on the palm os.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    I think Palm has recently released Exchange for Palm OS now as well. I just personally prefer WM for the robust OS and multi-tasking. It depends on what you expect to do and your mileage will vary with both the 680 and 750.
    Well I've had my 750 for a few days. I'm using vgsmail for IMAP IDLE for one of my email accounts. The other accounts are forwarded to my Exchange account where I use Exchange push.

So far I like the phone is many regards - mostly it appeals to my techno-geeky inner-child. But as I suspected, email is a major issue for me. I'm trying to warm up to the email app but it is so cumbersome even with only two email accounts that I am missing Chatter badly.

Let me give you an example - each morning I wake up to find 10-20 messages in my various inboxes. Many in which are SPAM. With Chatter summary I merely hit the down cursor scrolling through each message and when the message is highlighted I see a scrolling preview of the message - if it is SPAM I hit the "d" key and its mark for deletion. All of this is on ONE screen with ONE hand.

With WM5 Outlook I see each mailbox unread email count on the Today page. Then when I select one of them it takes me to one of the two mailboxes. Once in the mailbox I can preview each message rather easily since it shows the sender and subject. But here is where is gets messy for me - if I want to mark the message as read I have to hit "menu" and then "a" or if I want to delete I hit "menu" then "d". It doesn't seem to auto-mark the message as read if I simply highlight it in the inbox...it expects me to open the message or manually mark it as read. So to check emails on ONE of my TWO accounts I have already DOUBLED the number of key strokes over Chatter on POS.

Now to move to the other mail box. I can either scroll up/dwn until I get to the other mailbox or I have to fat-finger or use the stylus to get to the other mailbox. Whereby I have to repeat the process above in that mailbox to delete or mark as read messages. So if I do this one-handed the scrolling up works but you have to scroll through each of various folders under each of the accounts to get to the Inbox for the second email account. All in all....cumbersome as all hell.

So now I am looking for ways of streamling this thing. Again, unlike a few posters up here, this is not religion to me. I'll keep using WM5 if I can streamline email. But right now there is simply no comparison for my personal email requirements between Chatter and WM5 Outlook.
    That's my issue with WM5 as well, inferior email. For example where is the menu>select all feature or "mark all as read" even my Blackberry has this.
    I don't have an issue with email not getting marked read when I read it.
    I usually open a mail, then pree right or left on the pad to go the the next email. Then OK to get back to the folder.

For deleting spam try this. Highlight the message then press-and-hold the center d-pad button until the menu pops up, then just tap it a second time. The default highlight is 'delete' so the second tap deletes.
    Make sure you don't have verify delete turned on (I don't remember if it's something you have to turn off.)
    You can also click and drag on the messages to highlight a bunch, then tap-and-hold on the screen to get the menu and delete or mark as read.
    Another peeve is that I can just mark as read. If I've selected a mix of read and unread I have to mark them all unread then read. It's kind of lame.

This should help you out a but. Give it a shot.
    Last edited by taylorh; 02/21/2007 at 07:20 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    The small things that i dont see mentioned elsewhere.

Pro PalmOS:
    accent typing, that is non a-z chars, but and others. On PalmOS you press a char, aka a, and then you get to choose all that looks like an a with a small modification. ... in windows mobile you press the alt key and you get this HUUUUGE list of all possible chars. Then you can press the a to get chars similar to a. I think PalmOS's way is faster. Maybe because i installed that danish/norvegian keyboard modification making our chars in the top of the list.

Pro 680:
    the 680 has quick buttons for phone, calendar, SMS, and with the modifier key for browser, email and memos. The 750 has no such keys :-(

Pro Windows Mobile (aka pro multi tasking):
    Right after sending a SMS (i send about 150 a week) i can press the off button and put it in my pocket. With PalmOS i have to wait until it has sent the messages.

Bad 750/windows mobile:
    i can not get it to sent/receive MMS

I'm sure there is more small stuff.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    more small stuff, a win for 680.

When SMS'ing or possibly typing other text, my old 650 automatically used CAPITAL letters after a . my 750v does not :-( i think my 680 does the same as my old 650, but currently my GF put her hands on it :-( and when i try to pry it away from her fingers, she says "over my cold dead body" :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by ion++ View Post
    more small stuff, a win for 680.

When SMS'ing or possibly typing other text, my old 650 automatically used CAPITAL letters after a . my 750v does not :-( i think my 680 does the same as my old 650, but currently my GF put her hands on it :-( and when i try to pry it away from her fingers, she says "over my cold dead body" :-(
    That is an option under Start/Settings/Input/Options tab.

The tick box is Capitalize first letter of sentence.

It only capitalizes the word after you finish it and make a space, so it may be working, but you have not noticed it.

Surur
    I am not going to read all the post in this thread right now but I will say i have owned a Palm kyocera 7135, Palm Treo 600, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p, PPC 6700, PPC MDA, PPC 8125, PPC 6600, PPC Treo 700wx, PPC Treo 750 and am a frequent reader of this board for the last 3 years, MTDN for 3 years, PDAPhoneHome for 5 years, PPC Central for a year and I have to say PPC beats all other OS's in function and stability and Treo beats all devices in useability,,,,,,,,,,,is that a word???,,,,, usability????

It took me a full 2 months to get use to PPC but now its 2nd nature. The 750 is the best device available with the best OS available.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRitter View Post
    I am not going to read all the post in this thread right now but I will say i have owned a Palm kyocera 7135, Palm Treo 600, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p, PPC 6700, PPC MDA, PPC 8125, PPC 6600, PPC Treo 700wx, PPC Treo 750 and am a frequent reader of this board for the last 3 years, MTDN for 3 years, PDAPhoneHome for 5 years, PPC Central for a year and I have to say PPC beats all other OS's in function and stability and Treo beats all devices in useability,,,,,,,,,,,is that a word???,,,,, usability????

It took me a full 2 months to get use to PPC but now its 2nd nature. The 750 is the best device available with the best OS available.
    Well that settles it then.

Seriously, I don't care about the OS....really. It could be friggin Linux or DOS for all I care. What I do care about is one-handed operation for the four things I do care about: email, phone, GPS, and high-speed internet (as a modem). I don't care about the rest of the crap like MP3, video, etc. as it is all gravy.

That said, I'm trying some apps to see if I can improve the Today page and hoping the Flexmail author can match the hype his package generated....well before it could even be considered alpha software.
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Well that settles it then.

Seriously, I don't care about the OS....really. It could be friggin Linux or DOS for all I care. What I do care about is one-handed operation for the four things I do care about: email, phone, GPS, and high-speed internet (as a modem). I don't care about the rest of the crap like MP3, video, etc. as it is all gravy.

That said, I'm trying some apps to see if I can improve the Today page and hoping the Flexmail author can match the hype his package generated....well before it could even be considered alpha software.
    Dont quote me with your sarcastic smilie explaining what you dont care about. My post is not directed to you. The original poster asked if users were happy with the 750, comparing its stability and how it relates as a device compared to what he is use to. From the number of the devices I've had and the info that I have read from users, I assure him he would be happy going to the 750.

Seriously, If your going to post in someones thread quoting a user in a smart-@$$ way, the lest you could do is address the original posters question in some way instead of dribbling the unrelated random thoughts that fell out of your head.
    Yes and by your own admission you couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread yet felt the need to insert your expertise here by making generalized statements that amount to "WM5 rules and POS drools". If you read the first post perhaps you should read further down where a couple of us that have been active in this thread said they were getting 750s and would be willing to post our findings.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    That's my issue with WM5 as well, inferior email. For example where is the menu>select all feature or "mark all as read" even my Blackberry has this.
    I don't have an issue with email not getting marked read when I read it.
    I usually open a mail, then pree right or left on the pad to go the the next email. Then OK to get back to the folder.

For deleting spam try this. Highlight the message then press-and-hold the center d-pad button until the menu pops up, then just tap it a second time. The default highlight is 'delete' so the second tap deletes.
    Make sure you don't have verify delete turned on (I don't remember if it's something you have to turn off.)
    You can also click and drag on the messages to highlight a bunch, then tap-and-hold on the screen to get the menu and delete or mark as read.
    Another peeve is that I can just mark as read. If I've selected a mix of read and unread I have to mark them all unread then read. It's kind of lame.

This should help you out a but. Give it a shot.
    Thanks. I am actually making some head way. I have downloaded and installed SPB Diary and SPB Mobile Shell and now have it tweaked to a point where I have a pseudo Chatter-summary feature working! Slowly but surely I may warm up to this OS...I need to tweak some more but I think I can live with this.

Also, I found something odd with vgsmail. If I deleted a message on the 750 it shows up on my laptop in Outlook 2007 as deleted but leaves it unread. Has anyone else experienced this with vgsmail?
    Last edited by moderateinny; 02/21/2007 at 09:00 PM.
    Yes and by your own admission you couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread yet felt the need to insert your expertise here by making generalized statements that amount to "WM5 rules and POS drools". If you read the first post perhaps you should read further down where a couple of us that have been active in this thread said they were getting 750s and would be willing to post our findings.
    Well I read every post including the one where you claimed you would help the original poster with their concerns when you received your 750. You never did, you only went on to bring up your concerns that Pocket Outlook is not as good as chatter. I am only giving you cr@p because you felt the need to go out of your way to insult me. The next time you recognize a wonderful opportunity to be a jerk try to contain yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    I realize this may be an "apples to oranges" comparison but for those who choose the 750 over the 680, are you happy with your choice?

Is the WM environment more stable than the Palm OS? Does your battery make a better paper wieght than power source?

I'm getting really frustrated with the Palm OS and while the Samsung BlackJack has some appeal, I'm concerned it won't be eligible for an upgrade to WM6.

I don't like the 680's battery life (even though the Seidio Extended Battery has helped) and I'm finding the need for soft resets increasing the more I use the phone. I'm not a power user by any means and utilize the 680 to check email throughout the day, check the weather, and keep track of contacts/appointments.

Coming from a 680 would I be pleased with the 750?
    1) Yes I'm happier with the 750.
    2) Yes WM is more stable.
    3) Yes with WM the battery can drain faster. You should use majic button to recognize when you have unneeded apps running so it wont drain your battery. All in all it is not much of a difference.

I feel after spending 3 years with palm and 2 years with WM that there really isnt much difference between the 2. I had problems with palm developing corrupt saved preference files, corrupt PIM, and general 3rd party bugs that caused resets weekly. But in the 2 years with WM I have had only 1 spontaneous reset. However, with WM I have had a few dozen freezes that required a reset in the last 2 years. For me the big difference between the 2 is the same old stuff. Palm is faster. Palm has more apps and better apps. WM allows me to minimize programs and reopen them if I get interrupted and its great because I can pick it back up exactly where I left off. For example. I can start PIE, switch to email and begin to read, flip to listpro and jot a task down go back to email without losing my place then bac to PIE and my page is loaded ready to go.

It sounds like you may be worried about usability. If your wanting the benefits of a wm device, palm has done wonders in making a slightly cumbersome OS very user friendly.
    Quote Originally Posted by dimensiondvdrob View Post
    i would think that getting a 750 i should probably have a network that fully takes advantage of the phone's capabilities. also, is there an unlocked version of the 750 available yet?
    Full unbranded Palm unlocked now available, but only for Europe at this time.

Cingular might have put a stranglehold on the unlocked version here, just as they did with the 680.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    That is an option under Start/Settings/Input/Options tab.

The tick box is Capitalize first letter of sentence.

It only capitalizes the word after you finish it and make a space, so it may be working, but you have not noticed it.

Surur
    Thanks, it did actually work, but i guess i was not patient enough. I corrected it before the word was finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRitter View Post
    I am only giving you cr@p because you felt the need to go out of your way to insult me. The next time you recognize a wonderful opportunity to be a jerk try to contain yourself.
    How long have you been on forums? Threads drift all of the time. Should I have started a new thread for the comparison of the email features of WM5 vs. POS with Chatter? Should we start a new thread for each category?

Also, you ought to reread your own self-affirmations and feel free to not sweat the small stuff. It was a friggin' emoticon....get over yourself. And talk about insulting....you're the one that has called me an a&& and a jerk....I've not called you names at all. But I will now....you're a hot head!
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    And talk about insulting....you're the one that has called me an a&& and a jerk....I've not called you names at all. But I will now....you're a hot head!
    And how. Preach on brother, preach on
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast