Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got the Cingular GPS receiver and have used Telenav and am pretty impressed with it. However, I can get the Tom Tom 6 with Bluetooth Receiver and a 2GB mini SD card with US and Canada maps for $188. Has anyone used both and can give a newbie to GPS some suggestions? The idea of not having to use my data connection to use the GPS is appealing but having the maps automatically there through Telenav with no SD card is also nice.

Is the Tom Tom interface the same as Telenav? I noticed the 750 version of Telenav does not have 3D maps. Does TomTom have 3D maps for the 750?

Any suggestions would be appreciated?
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    I don't know how Telenav works, but if it does need a data connection to work, and if you don't have coverage at some rural area, then you are SOL! This is when you NEED the GPS the most.
    I use TomTom 6 and it works GREAT. Yes.. "3D" maps, all all the other goodies. Its the same software used on all Tomtom devices - they standardized it a few years back. I LOVE the TomTom software! Doesnt telenav have a monthly service fee?

ps. There is a FREE version of TomTom software out there with ONE free local state map. Think it was for iPaqs but still works on Treo 750. Take a look at mobilityToday.com forums in the ipaq 6515 threads. Otherwise you need to purchase your map, but the software for the Treo 750 is FREE at TomTom.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers View Post
    I just got the Cingular GPS receiver and have used Telenav and am pretty impressed with it. However, I can get the Tom Tom 6 with Bluetooth Receiver and a 2GB mini SD card with US and Canada maps for $188. Has anyone used both and can give a newbie to GPS some suggestions? The idea of not having to use my data connection to use the GPS is appealing but having the maps automatically there through Telenav with no SD card is also nice.

Is the Tom Tom interface the same as Telenav? I noticed the 750 version of Telenav does not have 3D maps. Does TomTom have 3D maps for the 750?

Any suggestions would be appreciated?
    You can just taste Telenav but with TomTom 6 you have to buy the cow. However, if you do not mind paying up front and drive a good bit in strange places, I think that you will find that TomTom is the better value.

(TomTom does have 3D maps. Of the four or five systems that I have used (including the factory install in my Cadillac), I like the TomTom interface the best. I like the ease of entering the destination and the ability to do planning before I get in the car.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstink View Post
    I use TomTom 6 and it works GREAT. Yes.. "3D" maps, all all the other goodies. Its the same software used on all Tomtom devices - they standardized it a few years back. I LOVE the TomTom software! Doesnt telenav have a monthly service fee?

ps. There is a FREE version of TomTom software out there with ONE free local state map. Think it was for iPaqs but still works on Treo 750. Take a look at mobilityToday.com forums in the ipaq 6515 threads. Otherwise you need to purchase your map, but the software for the Treo 750 is FREE at TomTom.com.
    Hi, where is this free software for the 750? I have a 3 month free subscription to TeleNav and have enjoyed it thus far. However, I did have one situation where because I did not have a data connection I was unable to download the map. This made me think about switching to TomTom after my trial was up.

It would be great if I could try this out for a bit. If possible, please point me to this free software and map.

TIA
    Moppet52
    I got the update from here... http://www.ipaqchoice.com/Generic3.aspx?page=navigation

Was for my HP ipaq 6515. Had to signup then download the installer software. After that i was able to install the tomtom 6 updated software - I had the new maps from my TomTom 910 device. Also there is an update at tomtom.com for Treo 750. You still need to purchase your maps if you dont have a previous install. Dont ask for maps, they are coded to your device - you will need to pay to play. TOMTOM is the best!
    Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    I don't know how Telenav works, but if it does need a data connection to work, and if you don't have coverage at some rural area, then you are SOL! This is when you NEED the GPS the most.
    This is why I prefer TomTom. It is the times where I might be without cell signal that I might most need the navigation capabilities and least likely be around people to ask for assistance.
    Plus... GPS just opens the floodgates to a lot of other cool software I have yet to find. Tomtom/GPS is truly a KILLER app. on any device. I use it at least once or twice a week.
  9.    #9  
    I figure I can return my GPS receiver from Cingular and for an extra $100 I get the TomTom 6 software, GPS receiver and a 2GB mini SD card with pre-loaded US and Canada maps. It also seems like the interface is better and I do not need a data connection or pay $9.99 to Cingular a month.

I should have the Tom Tom software by Friday so I can compare it. I am in a free 30 day look with Telenav anyway.
    Well I personally hate TomTom the company as their support is just abysmal. They consistantly place marketing above and well beyond customer support and retention. However, Telenav is just not comparable, not to mention, is limited to the US only. I had high hopes for Garmin's new kit but haven't heard very good things about them either. So TomTom is the lesser of evils for me....albeit, with the latest maps and 680/750 update they are moving back into good favor again.
    I've used TomTom (on WM5) and Mapopolis (on Palm) extensively. Mapopolis has/had more accurate map data, but the user interface on TomTom is clearly superior.

As for "connected" navigation (applications needing wireless coverage), Google Maps for Windows Mobile would be my choice. It works with Bluetooth GPS units (supposedly with wired ones too, but I don't have one to try out), can track your position as well as give directions, it can layer traffic info onto the map if available, it supports both map and satellite views, and it's free. The only thing missing is voice prompts. The interface isn't ideal for navigating in the car, but you could make due with it in a pinch.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf View Post
    I've used TomTom (on WM5) and Mapopolis (on Palm) extensively. Mapopolis has/had more accurate map data, but the user interface on TomTom is clearly superior.

As for "connected" navigation (applications needing wireless coverage), Google Maps for Windows Mobile would be my choice. It works with Bluetooth GPS units (supposedly with wired ones too, but I don't have one to try out), can track your position as well as give directions, it can layer traffic info onto the map if available, it supports both map and satellite views, and it's free. The only thing missing is voice prompts. The interface isn't ideal for navigating in the car, but you could make due with it in a pinch.
    Sounds interesting. I do not think that Google Maps for POS supports GPS.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    I don't know if you guys know this, but Mapopolis is not longer being developed.
    Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    I don't know if you guys know this, but Mapopolis is not longer being developed.
    What does that mean? Is it still offered for sale?
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Well I personally hate TomTom the company as their support is just abysmal. They consistantly place marketing above and well beyond customer support and retention. However, Telenav is just not comparable, not to mention, is limited to the US only. I had high hopes for Garmin's new kit but haven't heard very good things about them either. So TomTom is the lesser of evils for me....albeit, with the latest maps and 680/750 update they are moving back into good favor again.
    AGREE Wholeheartedly! TomTom Customer Service and support is just the WORST ever. The only plus side, I have only needed to contact them twice. But those two times were just do discombobulated, I dread ever having to call for anything. Just poor communication all around.

TomTom software is what I really care about, and its just GREAT! The only sore point is there license scheme, but other then that, its almost flawless. Not to say TomTom has'nt taking me on the scenic route more then once.

TomTom 6 (as well as other software) has all the POI's (Points of Interest) that expand your address book in ways no phone book could ever do. You can call the location, search for just about anything, its not only a turn-by-turn GPS.
    AGREE Wholeheartedly! TomTom Customer Service and support is just the WORST ever. The only plus side, I have only needed to contact them twice. But those two times were just do discombobulated, I dread ever having to call for anything. Just poor communication all around.

TomTom software is what I really care about, and its just GREAT! The only sore point is there license scheme, but other then that, its almost flawless. Not to say TomTom has'nt taking me on the scenic route more then once.

TomTom 6 (as well as other software) has all the POI's (Points of Interest) that expand your address book in ways no phone book could ever do. You can call the location, search for just about anything, its not only a turn-by-turn GPS.
    The license scheme is still terrible but a little better with 6 where one step is automatic and over the air.

Had not thought of using the POIs as yellow pages but it is a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    The license scheme is still terrible but a little better with 6 where one step is automatic and over the air.

It works great... You can also add select POI's to your local address book. And, as if you didnt know, you can navigate to any contact in your address-book (Address Book integration is great). I still think TomTom should have some voice command support.
    It works great... You can also add select POI's to your local address book.........
    Not obvious to me how to do this.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post

What is the "license scheme"? Do you have to renew your usage of Tom Tom every year? I thought once you bought the software and the GPS receiver and maps you were set? Is there a yearly or monthly access fee?
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers View Post
    What is the "license scheme"? Do you have to renew your usage of Tom Tom every year? I thought once you bought the software and the GPS receiver and maps you were set? Is there a yearly or monthly access fee?
    No, it's just the initial registration when you install the software. I found it to be a lot smoother compared to TT5.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast