Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    If you want to port to another device, you may have to go to support. You do not want to go to TomTom support.
    I've managed to transfer v5 from an old iPaq to my T650 and then the T750v without having to call support It depends on how long ago it was since you last tried to activate it, I think your allowed one activation every 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers View Post
    I cannot get my 750 to connect to the Tom Tom Plus site. Everytime I click on weather or traffic I get a red screen that says there was a problem with your Tom Tom device. Any idea on how to resolve this?
    Who is your carrier? Cingular seems to work okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    Just my 2 cents. I've used Mapolopis, TomTom 5.? and CoPilot.

All of them get you where you are going - more or less.

Mapolopis is clunky on use of maps and going from state to state. Also, they have an annual fee.

TomTom is solid software but in version 5.1 the had a region oriented approach. Similar to Mapolopis state to state issue. Pray that you NEVER have to deal with them or change devices. The want a small stack of paperwork to prove why your switching PPCs. Honestly - it was awful. I bought new software rather than deal with them again.

Enter Co-pilot. It also is a solid product but more important the folks at ALK are a pleasure to work with.

ALK will give you a large discount if you are changing from other GPS software. I was, but they never asked me to send it in to them.

I guess you get the idea that I support the ALK Co-pilot product.

Hope this helps.
    Have used Mapopolis. I am not aware of any annual fees.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Who is your carrier? Cingular seems to work okay.
    AS soon as I changed my network connection to My ISP versus MediaNet I was able to connect with no problem. I guess it did not like the proxy setting on MediaNet
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    I change devices frequently (I thought most people here did too), does this mean frequent headaches moving my TT to each new device? I was planning on buying a used TT from my brother but this "licensing" is starting to scare me off. I switch devices at least twice a year.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    You could always email TT customer support and they'll ask you for your serial number and device id. After that, they send you a code to unlock. It's kind of like trying to re-activate Windows XP or moving computers.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    It depends on how long ago it was since you last tried to activate it, I think your allowed one activation every 6 months.
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    OK, so I got the TT from my brother to "trial". I try to install it on my PCbut the nstallation quits halfway through and asks to send an error report to Microsoft. It is TT 5.1 and I am trying to use it for my 750. Any ideas?
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by jlczl View Post
    I change devices frequently (I thought most people here did too), does this mean frequent headaches moving my TT to each new device? I was planning on buying a used TT from my brother but this "licensing" is starting to scare me off. I switch devices at least twice a year.
    Good luck. It is a real ordeal to switch the license. I believe in paying for what I get and don't support pirating software either as the giver or receiver but TT scheme is a little "tight". Check out Copilot much easier to work with.
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    I'm not sure if you were referencing me when you mention pirated software but to clarify, I believe in paying for my software and hardware too. I am going to be purchasing the TT from my brother for $200 but I want to make certain it will work. Is it against TT policy to sell your device to somebody else? Is it non-transferable?

No inference meant. The piracy issue is the one that TT uses to justify the convoluted activation scheme. The problem is the thieves are not deterred and the ones that pay for it are the honest users.

Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers View Post
    Any suggestions would be appreciated?
    I have been using the TomTom stuff for a few years and have just had the version 6 put onto my 750v. As always very impressive, the little bluetooth box is tiny and works even when in a pocket of my jacket on the backseat !

Navigation is clear and consise, its easy to use, bit smaller than on my old T3 screenwise ( and the buttons on the screen etc ), but otherwise good. I am about to travel to Rome so will use it whilst walking, not something I could do with my old wired version !

Cheers

C
    anyone using tomtom 6 with a treo 700w and BT GPS unit? I'm having problems with the backlight going out and treo goign to sleep -- even with my backlight setting set to never turn off and the phone never to sleep. as a result, it loses the bluetooth connection to the gps unit. i need to wake up the treo (using either the send/end button), go back to TT6, and wait for the bluetooth connection to re-establish. this becomes a pain since the send/end button brings up the Today screen and it's like having to restart TT6 each time. NOTE: this didn't happen before. I received a replacement 700w and it only began happening on the replacement. So there HAS to be a setting that works. HELP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123