Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers View Post
    What is the "license scheme"? Do you have to renew your usage of Tom Tom every year? I thought once you bought the software and the GPS receiver and maps you were set? Is there a yearly or monthly access fee?
    No. The license is perpetual. Sorry if my gratuitous comment concerned you.

It is just that there is a very awkward activation procedure in which you enter a twelve character "Product" (really copy) code on their website. You then get an "activation" code to enter on your PDA. The copy is now bound to the device.

If you want to port to another device, you may have to go to support. You do not want to go to TomTom support.

Once you understand it, it is not much worse than other software where you must enter a registration key after you install the software. However, the two steps are confusing. Nav 6 simplifies this a little for Internet connected devices. You enter the product code into the PDA and it uses the connection to activate.
    I understand why they do it (Marry the software to your device), but you can only do it twice. Not a big deal unless you upgrade devices frequently. Yeah... Its a none issue, just kind-of annoying. I had to get another serial number when I got my second Treo 750 (exchanged first device), and it was a big pain calling TomTom.
    Does anyone know how hard it would be to transfer maps from the CD to a blank miniSD, if I were buy the TomTom 6 Navigator software only (no gps bundle and miniSD)?

I already own a bluetooth gps receiver (BT-359) and really like it. I am unable to find a bundle of TomTom 6 that includes the software and the maps installed on miniSD WITHOUT having to pay for a gps receiver as well. So I want to make sure that before I pay for the software only version (no miniSD), that it is pretty simple to install maps on a miniSD of my choice.

Any info would be appreciated.

TIA

Moppet52
    Sure, the install tool does this for you using activesync, or you can just do a file transfer to your SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by moppet52 View Post
    Does anyone know how hard it would be to transfer maps from the CD to a blank miniSD, if I were buy the TomTom 6 Navigator software only (no gps bundle and miniSD)?

I already own a bluetooth gps receiver (BT-359) and really like it. I am unable to find a bundle of TomTom 6 that includes the software and the maps installed on miniSD WITHOUT having to pay for a gps receiver as well. So I want to make sure that before I pay for the software only version (no miniSD), that it is pretty simple to install maps on a miniSD of my choice.

Any info would be appreciated.

TIA

Moppet52
    This is not rocket science but there are two parts to your problem, logical and physical. I do not know which you are trying to solve.

TomTom comes with a desktop application component called "Home." Home runs on a PC and turns the logical problem of installing the TomTom program and managing your maps into one of drag and drop. It will download things, maps and programs, from the TomTom web site and display to you what you have. It makes it easy for you to install them on your device.

TomTom Home, the desktop/laptop component, expects to see a TomTom GPS, attached via its cable to a USB port, or an SD card for PDAs. (In fact both of these look to Home like a drive. Home treats them the same. It never really syncs to your device like the Palm Desktop does.) This application program manages the programs and maps on your mini-SD and puts an autostartup program on it. When you plug the mini into your Treo, your Treo becomes, in addition to its other functions, a TomTom GPS. When you return the card to the PC, TomTom Home will start, check the web and your card and offer any current updates.

Your physical problem is to find a way to attach your mini-SD to your computer so that it looks to Home like a drive. Since few computers have readers for mini-SD cards, you will have to find a reader. There are SD cards that will accept a mini-SD so that it can be read by an SD slot. If your computer will read an SD card, this is a simple solution. Alternatively, for less than $50-, you can buy a multi-format card reader that will attach to a USB port on your PC. These readers will read almost any solid state storage media including standard devices like your mini-SD and even proprietary devices like the Sony memory stick.

Trust me when I tell you that it is much easier to do than to describe in writing.
    Last edited by whmurray; 02/14/2007 at 04:50 PM.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    No. The license is perpetual. Sorry if my gratuitous comment concerned you.

It is just that there is a very awkward activation procedure in which you enter a twelve character "Product" (really copy) code on their website. You then get an "activation" code to enter on your PDA. The copy is now bound to the device.

If you want to port to another device, you may have to go to support. You do not want to go to TomTom support.

Once you understand it, it is not much worse than other software where you must enter a registration key after you install the software. However, the two steps are confusing. Nav 6 simplifies this a little for Internet connected devices. You enter the product code into the PDA and it uses the connection to activate.

WHEW!!

I am receiving the BT 339 with my bundle. I have the Cingular BT 359 right now. Is there a big difference in these since they look the same? I was planningon returning the Cingular receiver when my Tom Tom one arrives.
    WHEW!!!

I have the BT 359 from Cingular and it looks like my Tom Tom 6 bundle comes with the BT 339. they bnoth look and seem the same. Is there any big difference from one to the other since I was planning on returning the Cingular receiver when my Tom Tom one arrives.
    WHEW!!

I am receiving the BT 339 with my bundle. I have the Cingular BT 359 right now. Is there a big difference in these since they look the same? I was planningon returning the Cingular receiver when my Tom Tom one arrives.
    WHEW!!!

I have the BT 359 from Cingular and it looks like my Tom Tom 6 bundle comes with the BT 339. they bnoth look and seem the same. Is there any big difference from one to the other since I was planning on returning the Cingular receiver when my Tom Tom one arrives.
    There is no difference that the Treo or the TomTom software can see. There may be a difference in the speed with which they acquire the satellites and establish the BT connection to the Treo. There is no difference in navigation. the most up-to-date GPS chip set is called SIRF-III. The one with this chip-set is likely the faster.
  8.    #28  
    Both have this chip set so I think I am ok. I should have the Tom Tom bundle on Monday. I am going to give it a spin and will probably return the Cingular GPS receiver next week and cancel my Telenav service.
    This is not rocket science but there are two parts to your problem, logical and physical. I do not know which you are trying to solve.

TomTom comes with a desktop application component called "Home." Home runs on a PC and turns the logical problem of installing the TomTom program and managing your maps into one of drag and drop. It will download things, maps and programs, from the TomTom web site and display to you what you have. It makes it easy for you to install them on your device.

TomTom Home, the desktop/laptop component, expects to see a TomTom GPS, attached via its cable to a USB port, or an SD card for PDAs. (In fact both of these look to Home like a drive. Home treats them the same. It never really syncs to your device like the Palm Desktop does.) This application program manages the programs and maps on your mini-SD and puts an autostartup program on it. When you plug the mini into your Treo, your Treo becomes, in addition to its other functions, a TomTom GPS. When you return the card to the PC, TomTom Home will start, check the web and your card and offer any current updates.

Your physical problem is to find a way to attach your mini-SD to your computer so that it looks to Home like a drive. Since few computers have readers for mini-SD cards, you will have to find a reader. There are SD cards that will accept a mini-SD so that it can be read by an SD slot. If your computer will read an SD card, this is a simple solution. Alternatively, for less than $50-, you can buy a multi-format card reader that will attach to a USB port on your PC. These readers will read almost any solid state storage media including standard devices like your mini-SD and even proprietary devices like the Sony memory stick.

Trust me when I tell you that it is much easier to do than to describe in writing.
    Thank you for the information. I have a laptop that reads miniSD and SD cards, so I should be fine. I appreciate you taking the time to describe the process though (and it was easy to follow).

Moppet52
  10.    #30  
    I got the Tom Tom 6 today and it came with the BT 359 which was the same receiver I returned to Cingular. The software works great!!!! I have read a few posts that state Tom Tom requires you to have your phone on for it to work. Is that right? It is not using a data connection in any way to navigate is it?
    TomTom only needs a data connection if you have enabled the traffic or weather update features.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    TomTom only needs a data connection if you have enabled the traffic or weather update features.
    How much do you have to pay for that service?
    How much do you have to pay for that service?
    I think the answer is moot; I do not think either service is yet available for NA.

A data connection is also used for initial activation. It can be used to download Dunkin Donuts locations and a few other goodies.
    Both traffic and weather work on my 700p and the services are free in North America. It says it's a 30-day demo but the demo doesn't expire.
    I got the Tom Tom 6 today and it came with the BT 359 which was the same receiver I returned to Cingular. The software works great!!!! I have read a few posts that state Tom Tom requires you to have your phone on for it to work. Is that right? It is not using a data connection in any way to navigate is it?
    TT6 does not force the phone on. TT5 would turn the phone on when you launched it, but that was fixed in TT6.
  16.    #36  
    Both traffic and weather work on my 700p and the services are free in North America. It says it's a 30-day demo but the demo doesn't expire.
    I cannot get my 750 to connect to the Tom Tom Plus site. Everytime I click on weather or traffic I get a red screen that says there was a problem with your Tom Tom device. Any idea on how to resolve this?
    Yep. Just tried them again. Weather works. Asks what location you want weather for. You have the same choices as when you navigate.

Traffic reports "Promotion Activated." I guess one must wait until it has some traffic to report in order to see how it really works. It does put an icon on the screen. Looks like a green light. I guess it goes from green to yellow to red as the report gets worse.
  18.    #38  
    I think the plus service is free since I put in my normal Tom Tom web site login for the plus service on my 750 and I got right in. The service is pretty cool. Tom Tom is head and shulders above Telenav.
    Traffic reports "Promotion Activated." I guess one must wait until it has some traffic to report in order to see how it really works. It does put an icon on the screen. Looks like a green light. I guess it goes from green to yellow to red as the report gets worse.
    In my area (Metro DC) traffic is only available during the day, so reports are kind of sporadic and the accuracy is always suspect. That's not TTs fault though.

The light/circle will be green when an update is complete. You'll see a car and phone icon (if I remember correctly) when an update is in progress. If an update cannot occur the circle will be greyed out with a red "x" over it.

When bad traffic conditions are identified, you will her a "ding, ding" after the download of data. The scroll bars on the right of the screen will should little cars indicating the distance in your overall route to the traffic incident. If you tap a car you can get a little detail but I find them too tiny to deal with if I'm driving.

As you approach the incident you will see some indication on the main part of your map. Once you pass the incident the corresponding car on the scroll bar will disappear.
    Just my 2 cents. I've used Mapolopis, TomTom 5.? and CoPilot.

All of them get you where you are going - more or less.

Mapolopis is clunky on use of maps and going from state to state. Also, they have an annual fee.

TomTom is solid software but in version 5.1 the had a region oriented approach. Similar to Mapolopis state to state issue. Pray that you NEVER have to deal with them or change devices. The want a small stack of paperwork to prove why your switching PPCs. Honestly - it was awful. I bought new software rather than deal with them again.

Enter Co-pilot. It also is a solid product but more important the folks at ALK are a pleasure to work with.

ALK will give you a large discount if you are changing from other GPS software. I was, but they never asked me to send it in to them.

I guess you get the idea that I support the ALK Co-pilot product.

Hope this helps.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast