1.    #1  
    I have heard this loud dysfunction/malfunction type noise for a split second 4 times since getting my 750 4 days ago. Should I return it?
    I would go back to the store if I were you. Does not sound like something normal to me.
    Treo 750v ---> Now Sold.
    If you're still within your return period, I would always return it...that's odd. Maybe it's a higher force telling you it's time to return to Palm
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
    I would go back to the store if I were you. Does not sound like something normal to me.
    Yes, it is absolutely not normal,,,,, but I didnt want to return it if it were a known global issue. I had heard of sound issues on this device. Erhhh,,,,, I hate returning things in the store...... I dont mind a bit to send it back in the mail,,,,, except that it takes to long..... In the store they always look at you skeptically. : paranoidsmileyinneedoftherapyhere:
    Does it occur on wakeup (when you turn the screen on)? If so I think thats "normal" for the 750, because if you get an alert when the device is alseep it doesn't finish the alert tone sometimes until you put the phone on full power. If thats not it then I would hard reset, then return if it doesn't fix it
  6.    #6  
    I'll make note of when it does this, if it is on wakeup. So does your 750 make the split second, loud, computer malfunction noise? Or did you read where other had heard this?
    Mine does this sometimes as well. It always seems to occur on wakeup. Sounds sort of like a static pop from the external speaker on the back as the unit is waking up - just before the notification sounds. The sound at all other times works normally.

Not sure if it normal or not, but it is somewhat annoying. The problem is that it is not reproducible, so taking it in to the Cingular store may not convince them to exchange it as you can't prove there's anything wrong with it.

I decided in the end it wasn't worth returning it over, but let me know what you decide and how it goes for you.
  8.    #8  
    Yeah,, thats exactly how I would describe it, a static pop. I wonder what percentage of users have this issue.
    I looked around a little on some various forums when I first got mine and couldn't find anyone else talking about it. Doesn't mean anything though as the majority of users (of any product) do not participate in user forums.
    I have had the same issue on more than just my Treo 750 that I picked up less than 48 hours ago.

Here's some new intel (my experience)...

Windows Mobile 5.0 + Unlocked TyTN + Good Mobile Messaging = Pop Static before receinving e-mail or notificiation, or for no reason at all, but mostly before an event.

Windows Mobile 5.0 + Cingular Treo 750 + Good Mobile Messaging = Not as bad, but I did hear the Pop Static twice during work yesterday, can't remember if an email came in though, I use my computer at that point so I may have been about to receive the email, but opening it on my computer stopped the notification from coming through.

The HTC was FAR worse from a frequency perspective and I did end up deciding (before it died) that as soon as I found the right replacement I would change phones and chalk one up the the cutting edge of technology, unfourtunately this time more the cutting part not the cutting edge...

This is my first phone again since the HTC and I'm somewhat frustrated by the noise, but hopefully its not as frequent if at all.
    I've heard this static pop on several 750's. Usually it's right after or soon after charging it. It's that the only issue you are seeing it's probably not worth returning it just for that.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Mine's done it before. Not often. Seems like it was related to charging (now that you mention it). I've not seen any ill effects from it either.
    Mike

Eph 2:8-9
    Not a fun thing to do, but try a hard reset, if this problem is still there, then it is a faulty device and you should return it.

I find that with the 750, a hard reset once in a while cleans things up. I also limit the 3rd party software I have on it.
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    Mine does this as well, albeit rarely, on startup. It's not a big enough annoyance for me personally.
    I get the same static pop infrequently just as most of you have described. Doesn't seem to cause any problems though.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    Occaisionally I have heard a pop when I turn on the screen from standby, but its very few and far between.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    Mine does not always pop after charging. Sometimes it pops during the day. Happens once or twice every couple of days. Always happens when waking up from standby. At first it really annoyed me, but know I've kinda gotten over it. I've had the unit for over two months now and it has not gotten any worse and I have not noticed any change in the speaker quailty.

I decided it was not worth returning it over. I have a Safeware insurance plan for my Treo. If the speaker dies I will just make a claim.

JamesRitter did you return your 750 over this issue? If so did the new one suffer the same problem?

I'm more worried at this point that my Treo loses my SD mini card about once a day!
    Last edited by eneisch; 03/15/2007 at 01:05 PM.
    I agree with above posts, it is definitely more related to charging than anything else, because as soon as I just plugged mine into the wall it started groaning like crazy.

I hard reset yesterday and the problem still persists, so this is more related to something not hard reset fixable. I'm going to try to return and get a non-noisy one since its not an issue that everyone experiences.

Do other "groaners" have a Good Mobile Messaging type program that is constatly connecting to the internet? I want to see if its a data + charge issue...
    I don't use Good messaging, but use exchange push mail which I guess is basically the same with a persistent data connection. My guess is its a device "wake up" issue that occurs when a notification sound takes the phone out of sleep mode.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by eneisch View Post
    Mine does not always pop after charging. Sometimes it pops during the day. Happens once or twice every couple of days. Always happens when waking up from standby. At first it really annoyed me, but know I've kinda gotten over it. I've had the unit for over two months now and it has not gotten any worse and I have not noticed any change in the speaker quality.

I decided it was not worth returning it over. I have a Safeware insurance plan for my Treo. If the speaker dies I will just make a claim.

JamesRitter did you return your 750 over this issue? If so did the new one suffer the same problem?

I'm more worried at this point that my Treo loses my SD mini card about once a day!
    No, I kept it. It only does it about once a week so it doesn't bug me. Any replacement would probably do the same thing.