Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I also feel that the wx for verizon will be an extremely stable device. very few problems. I also feel that the palm has made windows mobile better than any other windows mobile platform with there little enhancements. you could by a new device when it comes out but I garentee you will have issues. just different ones.

on a good note... I feel that the jump from wm 2003 to wm5.0 was big. therefore problems. the jump for wm5 to wm6 isn't as extreme. more like a wm5se. i'm sure it will run better than basic wm5.0 devices. there again, remember that the wx is not your basic wm5 device.

with the attitude from the first poster in mind. a person should never by ANYTHING. there will always be an improved version right around the conner.
    Quote Originally Posted by slyaii View Post
    if you are thinking of getting the WX this 19th just for the memory issue, why bother? if you can wait til spring get here, new verizon Treo versions or better yet, new PDA-Phones are coming out.

but if u can't wait, then go on with the WX. But benefit and cost??

Benefit: more running program memory
    You make a good point. I agree with the others that the 700w is fairly stable, (except for BT) and for me the phone itself has been very good. As a PDA it sux though.

The problem is that the 700w is so in need of RAM that it's hard for us to wait for some pie in the sky unknown. Afterall, we are the high-end users.

WM6 looks like too little too late for me. I think the iPhone is going to kick Microsoft/Palm/Phone Co's butts. Microsoft is so incredibly slow at making any improvements to CE. They deserve what they're going to get, and I think the competition is really going to help the consumer. A true competitor can do what us consumers could never do, add some urgency to their products and services.

Bring on the iPhone. Apple care's about their customers.

trio
    Quote Originally Posted by trio View Post
    Apple care's about their customers.
    trio
    They certainly do. Look at one of the primary reasons the Apple - Verizon deal tanked. Apple wanted to control customer service and have power over returning units, but Verizon said no. Look at Verizon & Palm - constantly blaming each other.

Apple is the LL Bean of tech customer support & service. In the dozen or so times I've engaged their support staff they have been absolutely perfect, even giving me a 5G 60gb video, after UPS lost my returned 4g black and white 40gb iPod.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Agreed Minsc
    What slyaii is leaving out -the wx is the most stable ppc on the market today.)
    When it come to the new spring release off ppc devices hmm.On every new release there are always bugs.What put the wx on a higher level was the treo 700 W beta testers as I call it then came the real deal-WX

Phil C
    The initial post is silly, IMO.

I've had my 700w for over 1 year now and frankly, I am very happy with my decision. I'm running some great apps (Slingplayer, Skype, company vpn and messaging services, company email). I'm very happy but more memory would be terrific.

No, I am not a novice to Pocket PCs, Palm devices, or Treos. I've been using intelligent handhelds since my Poqet device in 1990 (?). Each device serves its purpose for its time.

The 700w had issues but with everything, you take the good with the bad. I prefer the Windows Mobile OS and the Treo form so I was willing to put up with the problems and reap the goodies for 6 months prior to the 700wx release on Sprint. 6 months is a LONG time with technology.

Will I stick with VZW and get the 700wx, if released? It depends on what else is available. If another Windows Mobile device is released with Blackberry Connect, I'll drop the Treo and/or VZW like bad habits. My priority is having company communications and my favorite apps. I don't care who offers me that capability.

My guess is that VZW will "one-up" Sprint with some "breakthrough" device like they always do (e.g. Kyo7135, Treo 600) and Sprint will offer an improved model 6 months later.

Time will tell.
  5.    #25  
    What's the main difference between the 700w and 700wx? Program Memory, that's all. everything else is the same. You are going to pay between $300-Retail price for Program Memory? Everyone here who is against my post, says that it is the most stable phone out there. Did I bad mouth that in my initial post? The remarks that I mentioned was that for something that is so expensive, but lacks soooo many features, is it worth it to get the $700wx.

Everyone wants A2DP, VC over BT, Wifi in their Treo. your not going to get it with the 700w or the 700wx. So just wait til spring gets here then make your decision then if you are thinking about getting the 700wx.

I once thought about upgrading my treo 700w to 700wx, but what for? I'll wait 2 months and get a better phone from verizon and i'll see you guys in this post compaining why the 700wx doesn't have wifi, A2DP, VC over BT. if you are going to spend the money now for something that was long over due for, be with it. The treo 700wx from verizon is late for delivery, it should have hit the market when sprint hits there. I am not mentioning bugs in phones nor it not being stable. I am mentioning what it lacks. A2DP, VC over BT, and wifi are not bugs that were in the TREO. Palm didn't want to listen and they did what they did. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 700W AND 700WX ARE PROGRAM MEMORY. THAT'S ALL.

you have so many other options out there to choose from and it's not a "pie in the sky unknown," trio. and if you are going to gamble on verizon til spring, you can't lose. it's a win-win situation. either buy the 700wx or pick from their new selection of pda-phones when spring comes.

i'll wait til spring.
    What's the main difference between the 700w and 700wx? Program Memory, that's all. everything else is the same. You are going to pay between $300-Retail price for Program Memory? Everyone here who is against my post, says that it is the most stable phone out there. Did I bad mouth that in my initial post? The remarks that I mentioned was that for something that is so expensive, but lacks soooo many features, is it worth it to get the $700wx.
    I wouldn't pay $300 to go from 700w to 700wx, if you put it that way. But I would (and did) pay $300 to go from the 650 to the 700wx with Sprint on the SERO plan. It was prolly 60% SERO pricing and 40% Treo lust that caused me to switch from T-Mobile.
    What's the main difference between the 700w and 700wx? Program Memory, that's all..everything else is the same. You are going to pay between $300-Retail price for Program Memory?

you have so many other options out there to choose from and it's not a "pie in the sky unknown," trio. and if you are going to gamble on verizon til spring, you can't lose. it's a win-win situation. either buy the 700wx or pick from their new selection of pda-phones when spring comes.

i'll wait til spring.
    I really don't disagree with you, however, you are trying to put everyone else into your needs for a Smartphone, and your perception of dollar value, and that doesn't work.

To some people $300 is a lot of money while to others it's like the price of lunch. $300 to have a treo that actually multitasks for the next 3 months may be well worth the price for many of us.

I do think it's pie in the sky, but since you believe that there are lots of other options out there, please let me in on them. I'm looking for a WM phone that is as good a PDA as it is a phone, with plenty of RAM, BT that works, and I need it to be on Verizon.

Thanks,

trio
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    I'm going to side with slyaii. I've had my 'w' for over a year now. And while I'd like something new, especially with more RAM, a 'wx' at this point doesn't make much sense. As for pricing, I logged into my account and see 3 options to upgrade to Palm product for another phone on the account. Since neither my 'w' or the other phone is near the 'new every two' point, the pricing for Palm pda's is:

2-year contract - $499
    1-year contract - $549
    No contract - $619

So for those stuck in their contracts, it might be a bit more than a $300 upgrade.

However, I did buy a new BodyGlove case/skin, changed the Today screen format, and overclocked the processor on my 'w'. It almost feels like a new phone...almost...
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I'm more than a little peeved with Verizon over this one. First they wait until after all the early-adopter 700w units are out of warranty before fixing a ridiculous problem, then they launch the same thing as their chief competitor has had since June, and at the same cost as another competitor is charging for a VASTLY improved Treo (750).

If I'm going to shell out cash for another Treo, it's more than worth it to me to just kick Verizon to the curb and get a 750. At least that way I'll never have to use the line "it's the network" after redialing a dropped call again.

But for the sake of maintaining "in-network calling", I'm probably going to be stuck waiting for the Samsung i760 :\
    After a week I am now posting my results:

My 6700 bit the dust trying to accomplish the 3.3 Rom Upgrade. I went by the Sprint store and they confirmed the unit was Bricked.

They had no 6700's in stock and no time table on units coming in. Called all the stores within Houston, Texas NO STOCK.

OK, what do you have as a replacement (thank you insurance)? I was leaning to the Samsung 830 (same screen size, memory, no wifi but GSM/CDMA). No 830's either. Only Treo 700p or WX. I almost laughed out loud. No wifi, smaller screen, less memory, weaker processor, I don't think so.

I had no options, do I wanted a phone now or no phone and wait for a 6700. I took the Treo700wx while being assured a 6700 would be found.

My new plan was to install all of my 6700 programs and watch the 700wx crawl to submission thus securing an 830:

Slingbox
    I guidance GPS
    Laridian Pocket Bible (NA, NIV, AMP, Greek, Hebrew, etc.)
    SPB Backup
    SPB Time
    SPB Weather
    Photo Contacts Pro
    (And numerous smaller apps)

All of these programs were installed to Storage Card if allowed. The same as my 6700 which had about 40mb total app-stor memory available after installations.

I checked the 700wx memory after installing and resetting......WHAT 91mb free?! I figured the phone was so freaked it could not add. The boot up was fast. I began testing all of my apps - VERY RESPONSIVE 1-1/2 times faster than the trusty 6700.

Palm must have tweaked it’s know-how with WM5.

PROS:
    Memory Handling
    Phone Form Factor
    SD memory
    Battery Life

CONS:
    Screen Size
    No HANDS FREE BlueTooth
    Processor Speed (doesn’t seem to matter though)
    No-WIFI
    SmartDialer and ETEN disabled (Palm Custom Dialer…YUK!)*

The 700WX works very well and will suffice for the next 6-10 months…Until

Kokkos

*I am working on re-cooking the ROM and re-enabling SmartDialer and ETEN Dialers.
    Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17
    Quote Originally Posted by robdam View Post
    I'm actually having 2nd thoughts about getting the WX and then selling my W. I mean, why bother? The W runs fine. I do have to soft reset it almost daily but I can deal. I'm just not sure that dropping ~ $500 on the WX is worth it when there WILL BE something newer/smaller/faster released prolly < 6 months.

P.S. When push comes to shove, I'll drop the cash on the WX and eBay the W.
    Totally loving the Elegant Elliot Offen. lol
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyLive View Post
    Totally loving the Elegant Elliot Offen. lol
    LOL. Thanks. Riley Martin is even better.
    Treo 700WX - VZW
    • First of all, as you can tell by my user name, I am new at this treo thing. (Owned a Palm OS Treo 2 yrs ago – hated it). I have been doing quite a bit of reseach on the treo 700w series – esp the 700WX. Surfing like crazy on any blogs, reviews, opinions, everything I can find on the Treo 700wx. Then I found this site; read the entries regarding the 700wx, and just had to register and join in.

• I am grateful for all of the comments here. The huge dialogue about dissing, then praising the 700wx has helped bolster me even closer to the purchase of the unit, when it finally comes to Verizon (on the 19th …, maybe?). I’ll stay with Verizon. The consensus I get from multiple friends is that Sprint, Alltel, Cingular, etc, have poor coverage. I’ve had virtually no dropped calls with Verizon. I think connection depends a lot on avoiding the el cheapo phones.

• I’ll have to say that the very nature of the mobile platform breaks down into multiple veins of ‘stand alone’ PDAs, the combo Pocket PC phone (Treo, for example), smartphones (Motorola Q, for example). I’m sure there are other categories.

• I’ll have to say that the very nature of the mobile devices will probably always be problematic to some degree. Everything is relative. But that doesn’t stop us all from venturing out to purchase and take our respective chances with them.

• I have owned all of the DELL AXIM PDA models. Enjoyed them in their prime. Then I decided to ‘morph’ my Motorola V710 and my Dell Axim x51v into a Motorola Q. It has it’s cool form factor as well as many useful options, not to mention it’s sharp (albeit small) screen. Conversely it has idiosyncrasies that I’m tired of by now. After 2 replacements (on my 3rd unit), I have resolved to charging the stock battery twice a day. I have the extended battery, which sort of defeats the purpose of having such a thin smartphone. It works great as a phone and good as a pda, for the most part; but I cannot initiate or amend any Microsoft documents. This is a BIG issue for me.

• The reviews I’ve read on the APPLE iPhone is that it is so proprietary, especially in loading mp3s and not being able to transfer back/forth from/to other devices/pcs before being essentially blocked. I have hundreds of audio CDs I’ve taken the trouble to convert many files. That gives me the legal right to make a copy for my own use, which includes transferring to/from anything and everything for which I own myself.

• Sorry to ramble, but the point I’m making is to switch to the Treo 700wx to accomplish most of my needs. I waited for Microsoft to update the OS to add in the office suite, but even the newer Pro Q doesn’t have that. Go figure. I expect to have some issues with it, but I’m willing. Most neutral reviews and blogs seem to come out in favor of the new unit.

• I’m waiting for the Verizon announcement any day now. My contract expires in mid March. I’ll purchase with rebates, then I’ll ebay the Q to pay off the Treo. I’ll read further comments on how to overclock and hopefully hack open some options that carriers seem bent on turning off.

• Thanks for listening.
  14.    #34  
    I know that I said don't buy a 700wx because it's not worth the money for memory. Well, I am getting a 700wx now. Guess what?? =O) FREE, FREE, frEE, FrEE from Verizon. should be shipped within 2-3 days.

I have been having trouble with my 700w the first week that I got it. And this is my 3rd Treo 700w. It started to act up again so I called. The represented can only trouble shoot the issue, but if they get the manager and records shows that this is your 3rd Treo. Verizon policy states that you can upgrade to any phone that you want.

I'll post some pics once I get it.
    Last edited by slyaii; 02/21/2007 at 12:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    iPhone...

Got a chuckle outta that one...

1. Cingular ? Not in my neck of the woods...
    2. Touch screen ONLY no keyboard. Uh huh... I dont think so.
    3. $600
    4. No REAL push email (IMAP is NOT push email)
    4a. Calendar sync ?? oh ya.. it doesnt do that....
    5. proprietary(both hardware and software)
    6. ONLY Apple can replace a device NOT the carrier !(this is why no verizon or alltel.. they wouldnt bend on this issue)
    7. Apps ? What apps..?

and finally.... see issue #1 !

Whats good about iPhone....?? it plays iTUNES only music !
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12