Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From Dieter Bohn:

Secondly, in this Webcast hosted by Pieter Knook, Senior Vice President, Microsoft Mobile and Embedded Devices division, we hear a great little tidbit of information: Palm will announce an upgrade for the Treo 750 to Windows Mobile 6 (Skip to 28:15 to hear it). As Palm has not yet made the announcement officially, it's unclear which versions of the 750 will see the update. Also unknown as of this publication time is whether or not the upgrade will be made available for current owners.
    If WM6 is not made available for current owners, then to me it's not an upgrade. If a device is going to be sold with WM6 on it, Palm will need a way to distinguish it from other devices, hence a name change. A new Treo with WM6 to me is not considered an "upgrade" but rather a new purchase.

Might be silly semantics, but alot of people will get excited over the statement "Palm will announce an upgrade for the Treo 750."
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Hopefully this means a ROM update to the new OS.
    Id be pretty peeved if us early adapters could not get the upgrade. Anyone here know enough about WM as to why it would be a problem to update? If its an OS, it should be updateable on the same device, with some kind of ROM upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by txschafers View Post
    Hopefully this means a ROM update to the new OS.
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    Ow I can see it now...... Upgrade to WM6 and then wait a year for 3rd party developers to catch up and make all my apps compatible......... No thanks,,,,, I am a beta tester no more
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRitter View Post
    Ow I can see it now...... Upgrade to WM6 and then wait a year for 3rd party developers to catch up and make all my apps compatible......... No thanks,,,,, I am a beta tester no more
    James, you gotta catch up on your knowledge about WM6 their buddy

WM6 is just a fancy (milestone) AKU update to WM5, they renamed it for marketing reasons, though technically it's more or less WM 5.5. The kernal, architecture and structure of the programming is the same, so there won't be any need to make apps "compatible". In other words, this isn't nearly the same as WM2003 --> WM5 upgrade.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRitter View Post
    Everything that works on WM5 works on WM6, its more like WM5.5

JNGold,
    I agree with you, however just because they haven't announce it yet, doesn't mean it isn't coming. I find it hard to believe that Palm would start shipping Treo 750s with WM6 and not provide an upgrade path for current 750 owners.

What I can see Palm doing is release a Treo 760 with the same specs as the 750 and WM6, that way they don't have to provide the update to all teh 750 owners out there
    Just charge $30 for the update if nothing else Palm.
    The negative thing about the upgrade cycle for smartphones is that it has to trickle down from Microsoft to the device manufacturers (Palm and HTC) and then tested by carriers (Cingular and Voda). This may take a while! I remember the WM5 upgrade for the Verizon/Samsung i730 took forever before it was released.
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanvision View Post
    The negative thing about the upgrade cycle for smartphones is that it has to trickle down from Microsoft to the device manufacturers (Palm and HTC) and then tested by carriers (Cingular and Voda). This may take a while! I remember the WM5 upgrade for the Verizon/Samsung i730 took forever before it was released.
    If I were a betting man, I would say that Palm and the other ODM's have had builds of WM6 for some time. Maybe not the final build, but a complete enough of a build that they can get started with testing.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil View Post
    I agree with you, however just because they haven't announce it yet, doesn't mean it isn't coming. I find it hard to believe that Palm would start shipping Treo 750s with WM6 and not provide an upgrade path for current 750 owners.

What I can see Palm doing is release a Treo 760 with the same specs as the 750 and WM6, that way they don't have to provide the update to all teh 750 owners out there
    I remember saying the exact same thing as I was holding my shiny new Ipaq 4150 when 2003SE was released.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Actually it's extremely easy to believe. Name one Palm device Palm OS or WM that has been upgraded to a newer OS by Palm.

Answer: None.

Not trying to be overly negative, but I'd bet my own money that we will never see a WM6 upgrade from Palm. I think you will see WM6 devices, but I think it will be months before that happens.

Everything that works on WM5 works on WM6, its more like WM5.5

JNGold,

Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Ok, I'm returning my 750 ordered from Amazon. Maybe Sprint's 750 variant will have WM6 on it. In the meantime I have a 680 to get accustomed to.
    Well maybe the WX for VZW might get WM6 since VZW would like to one up Sprint plus it will help them and Palm differentiate their WX from the W.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    Well maybe the WX for VZW might get WM6 since VZW would like to one up Sprint plus it will help them and Palm differentiate their WX from the W.
    A whole lotta wishful thinking going on......
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Actually it's extremely easy to believe. Name one Palm device Palm OS or WM that has been upgraded to a newer OS by Palm.

Not trying to be overly negative, but I'd bet my own money that we will never see a WM6 upgrade from Palm. I think you will see WM6 devices, but I think it will be months before that happens.
    I hear you, but according to the webcast from today, they specifically stated that the Palm Treo 750 was slated for an upgrade to WM6. I might be a first for Palm.
    You need to put your corporate translator on. A marketing/corporate person says they plan to upgrade the 750 to WM6. That could mean anything from a new model based on the 750 with WM6 down to we will upgrade newer versions to WM6 down to we will upgrade existing users.

I have no idea what their plans are. But Palm only once back in the Palm III days ever did any sort of upgrade to an existing handheld. Since then they have never offered it and have even stated on rare occassions that products are sold as a consumer product with hardware and software. And that it was an incorrect assumption that existing products get upgrades with newer software.

I'm all for them offering an upgrade. But based on their past behavior I don't think it will happen. Personally I think their attitude needs a serious correction but I don't see any signs of it. In their response to the letter that was on Treocentral's homepage about user complaints with the 700p they said they were going to do an update in January (keep in mind it was released in late May 2006). Anyone seen that update? Me neither. Their record the past year in updates has been abysmal. Their customer base deserves better but I don't see any signs they care about the end customers, only the carriers.

I hear you, but according to the webcast from today, they specifically stated that the Palm Treo 750 was slated for an upgrade to WM6. I might be a first for Palm.

well there's been 3 WM devices, and the 700w seems to be the only one that could have an upgrade. For the PalmOS Treos - well, there hasn't been an upgrade to the PalmOS worth upgrading devices to in the past 3 years anyways
    You need to put your corporate translator on. A marketing/corporate person says they plan to upgrade the 750 to WM6. That could mean anything from a new model based on the 750 with WM6 down to we will upgrade newer versions to WM6 down to we will upgrade existing users.

I have no idea what their plans are. But Palm only once back in the Palm III days ever did any sort of upgrade to an existing handheld. Since then they have never offered it and have even stated on rare occassions that products are sold as a consumer product with hardware and software. And that it was an incorrect assumption that existing products get upgrades with newer software.

I'm all for them offering an upgrade. But based on their past behavior I don't think it will happen. Personally I think their attitude needs a serious correction but I don't see any signs of it. In their response to the letter that was on Treocentral's homepage about user complaints with the 700p they said they were going to do an update in January (keep in mind it was released in late May 2006). Anyone seen that update? Me neither. Their record the past year in updates has been abysmal. Their customer base deserves better but I don't see any signs they care about the end customers, only the carriers.
    has Palm ever stated that it was going to offer an upgrade for any of its devices before and retracted on that? I don't remember that happening for any of the Treo devices.
    See my message above about the 700p. I don't need them to offer OS upgrades, but I expect bug fixes. They aren't even doing that lately. And the bluetooth on all their WM devices has some very serious holes. I'd be happy if they got those fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    well there's been 3 WM devices, and the 700w seems to be the only one that could have an upgrade. For the PalmOS Treos - well, there hasn't been an upgrade to the PalmOS worth upgrading devices to in the past 3 years anyways
    See my message above about the 700p. I don't need them to offer OS upgrades, but I expect bug fixes. They aren't even doing that lately. And the bluetooth on all their WM devices has some very serious holes. I'd be happy if they got those fixed.
    Well I expect something to come out of the $40 million unlimited Palm OS license that Palm recently acquired....but that's the dated, old, decrepit Palm OS. At this point, bugs are ingrained into the OS after what it's been through. Let's look to the future and WM...since PalmOS really is on its last legs.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast