Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I may be mistaken here, but isn't the screen on the 750 only capable of 240x240 resolution as is the resolution that WM5 can handle? If so, there will never be an upgrade to WM6, since the screen resolution of WM6 is now 320x320, not 240x240.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by dimensiondvdrob View Post
    I may be mistaken here, but isn't the screen on the 750 only capable of 240x240 resolution as is the resolution that WM5 can handle? If so, there will never be an upgrade to WM6, since the screen resolution of WM6 is now 320x320, not 240x240.
    WM6 still supports 240x240 as well as 480x480. They added support for 320x320 which was not existant in WM5.

Here is a question, is the screen on the 750 the same as the 680? ie, is Palm using the same screen just at a lower resolution or have they gone with a completely different screen for the 750?
    Quote Originally Posted by dimensiondvdrob View Post
    not at all, 320x320 is now supported in WM6, along with 800x 480. That is it is capable of running those or can be configured to run those. They did not however remove any support for 240x240!

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    No it's hardware not software. The screen on all WM Treos so far are physically 240x240 pixels. They aren't the same screens used on the Palm OS Treos. Compare two side by side and it's obvious in terms of pixels, color contrast, and brightness.

Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil View Post
    WM6 still supports 240x240 as well as 480x480. They added support for 320x320 which was not existant in WM5.

Here is a question, is the screen on the 750 the same as the 680? ie, is Palm using the same screen just at a lower resolution or have they gone with a completely different screen for the 750?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    No it's hardware not software. The screen on all WM Treos so far are physically 240x240 pixels. They aren't the same screens used on the Palm OS Treos. Compare two side by side and it's obvious in terms of pixels, color contrast, and brightness.
    ahh well that makes sense
    I bet what will happen is Palm will release a Verizon/Sprint variant of the 750 with 320x320 and WM6. And we Cingular people won't see WM6 or Windows 320x320 until..oh 2008.
    I think an HSDPA (and hopefully bug fixes) for the current 750 and that'll be it.

But I remain hopeful. Hopefully Palm sees WM6 as an opportunity to get another 6mos. to 1 year more sales out of the 750 life cycle. That it would be cheaper than bringing up a new model.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I hope you are right taylorh and that it will support EVDO Rev A...sweet
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    My take on the upgrade is this -

Palm knows about some bugs on the 750 already (dissapearing sound, memory cards, OS errors etc.). They also need to issue an update to add HSPDA (?) speeds. Both of these would require a ROM update.

Why would Palm expend time updating/fixing the WM5 ROM if they were also working on a WM6 ROM? This would seem to me to be doubling their efforts. To me the cheapest/best route for Palm would be to offer the WM6 ROM as an update to all 750 users when the WM6 update is finished.

Just my 2 cents!
    Saw this on mobiletopsoft.com

"At the 3GSM World Congress in Barcelona, Microsoft yesterday officially announced Windows Mobile 6, the newest version of their mobile phone software platform. Pieter Knook (Microsoft Senior Vice President Mobile & Embedded Devices Division and Communications Sector Business) announced, that Palm will also release a Windows Mobile 6 upgrade for its current Palm Treo 750 Windows Mobile Professional series later this yet."

Now are they drawing their own conclusions from the statement that we all have heard from Palm or is this new info?
    This is the same thing as before. Note that this is a Microsoft person saying Palm will release it. It's meaningless unless an authorized Palm person is announcing it.

Quote Originally Posted by jerms55555 View Post
    Saw this on mobiletopsoft.com

"At the 3GSM World Congress in Barcelona, Microsoft yesterday officially announced Windows Mobile 6, the newest version of their mobile phone software platform. Pieter Knook (Microsoft Senior Vice President Mobile & Embedded Devices Division and Communications Sector Business) announced, that Palm will also release a Windows Mobile 6 upgrade for its current Palm Treo 750 Windows Mobile Professional series later this yet."

Now are they drawing their own conclusions from the statement that we all have heard from Palm or is this new info?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    "Our continued collaboration with Microsoft gives our customers a powerful combination—Palm's hallmark ease of use with the power and security of Windows Mobile favored by many businesses. We look forward to integrating Microsoft's new operating system as we continue to help people around the world stay connected with Palm's unequaled mobile-computing experience." said Stephane Maes, Senior Director, Smartphones, at Palm.
    http://www.palm.com/us/software/winm...reativeID=RMFB here is something from palm but still very vague if they will give current users WM6 or come out with a new WM6 Treo. In any case I think if they don't release WM6 to current users they should at least release the ROM updates to fix bugs and enable HSDPA.
    Palm itself says: "Palm plans to offer Treo™ smartphones with Windows Mobile 6 later this year."

So I don't think current users will get the update. Might have to sell mine soon then....
    Treo 750v ---> Now Sold.
    I had read somewhere that the Treo 750 was one of 3 WM phones to be released on Cingular in '07.
    The 750 would be the "middle" model leaving an entry level and an upgarded model to still be coming.
    I'm not sure, however if the entry level was really the 680 (meaning 3 total, only 2 WM)

In any case, maybe Palm is going to have a new model later this year with WM6 and 320x320 and sell it as the premium model against the 750. Maybe it'll be the 760, or 780, or 800 or something.
    Hopedully it would have a few additional hardware upgrades such as WiFi and bluetooth 2.0.

Even if WM6 + 320x320 was the only change I'd probably get it. (I'm a sucka)

This is very speculative and I have no proof to back this up. I'm just saying that this Treo with WM6 may be a new model and include 320x320. Meaning currnent 750 owners could be SOL.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    I had read somewhere that the Treo 750 was one of 3 WM phones to be released on Cingular in '07.
    The 750 would be the "middle" model leaving an entry level and an upgarded model to still be coming.
    I'm not sure, however if the entry level was really the 680 (meaning 3 total, only 2 WM)

In any case, maybe Palm is going to have a new model later this year with WM6 and 320x320 and sell it as the premium model against the 750. Maybe it'll be the 760, or 780, or 800 or something.
    Hopedully it would have a few additional hardware upgrades such as WiFi and bluetooth 2.0.

Even if WM6 + 320x320 was the only change I'd probably get it. (I'm a sucka)

This is very speculative and I have no proof to back this up. I'm just saying that this Treo with WM6 may be a new model and include 320x320. Meaning currnent 750 owners could be SOL.
    Maybe it'll be the Treo 23984 with 802.11abcdefghijkn built in. i hope someone somewhere starts to figure out marketing on these things and makes me stop having to keep track of stupid meaningless numbers... no reason they can't give us 750 users WM6 and just use it with the 240 resolution. supporting 320x320 doesn't mean we'd have to use it. so i'll take it however we get it... but then again, iphone by that time perhaps?
    Handspring Visor Platinum --> Laptop computer pim+cell phone for years --> Treo 650 Cingular (until it died in the middle of the highway) --> Treo 750 Cingular --> Unbranded/Unlocked Treo 750 --> ???
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    I bet what will happen is Palm will release a Verizon/Sprint variant of the 750 with 320x320 and WM6. And we Cingular people won't see WM6 or Windows 320x320 until..oh 2008.
    Sprint has the Palm Sherlock on the board for June 07 release-What could this mean
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    From Dieter Bohn:

If WM6 is not made available for current owners, then to me it's not an upgrade. If a device is going to be sold with WM6 on it, Palm will need a way to distinguish it from other devices, hence a name change. A new Treo with WM6 to me is not considered an "upgrade" but rather a new purchase.

Might be silly semantics, but alot of people will get excited over the statement "Palm will announce an upgrade for the Treo 750."
    Guilty - (sorta?)... Unfortunately, Palm won't/can't comment so I thought it best to be slightly ambiguous - saying "upgrade to the 750 line" is more accurate to what I *think* will happen, but then again some of the other talk coming out of 3GSM sure made it sound like the upgrade might actually be made available to current customers. Given how strongly MS is pushing WM6, it wouldn't be a total shocker - Microsoft can more easily bend carriers to their will than Palm can.
    No BS.......if Palm/Cingular doesn't address the issues with the current 750 it will be the last WM Treo that I'll purchase. Addressing those issues via a ROM upgrade to WM6 would be just rewards for Palms 750 customers for putting up with an obviously buggy OS release..

I'll jump right back on the Symbian bandwagon if I need to : )
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12