Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Well... look what we have here...

http://www.mobilitysite.com/2007/02/...s_mobile_6.php
    Wow. Even has the Palm custom stuff on it.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    heres hopeing the unlocked 750 will have WM6
    Don't get excited just yet.....it may be a Treo 780. I just got my 750 so I am nowhere near ready for another new device.
    Last edited by JGold; 02/12/2007 at 11:52 AM.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Don't get excited just yet.....it may be a Treo 780. I just got my 750 so I am nowhere near ready for another new device.
    Pocketpcthoughts seems to think that it's the 750. But I think they're just assuming.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/inde...n=expand,53872
    it is the same processor as the 750 and there is no painted on branding... take that to mean whatever you want.
    Couple things.

Tmobile announced that they will be offering an upgrade to Windows 6 for customers who bought Dashes. May mean nothing to us but interesting to see someone upgrading a current device.

From the pictures in the Pocket PC thoughts link beside the unit looking almost like a 750 (Which does not mean anything). The screen res looks that same as our 750 and so is the memory and processor. I would think that if it was a Treo 780 or whatever they would change something along with the OS to get people to upgrade.

All this could mean nothing as it could be they have just been using 750's for testing of Windows 6 and have no intentions of releasing it.
    A 780 that exploits better screen resolution and wi-fi would be nice
    Considering WM6 is really more like WM5.5 I think it is very possible that carriers will offer upgrades to many WM5 devices.
    You can only offer an upgrade to the OS if all the OS is in an upgradable ROM and there are not any hardware chips tided to the current OS.

Am I wrong on this?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil View Post
    Considering WM6 is really more like WM5.5 I think it is very possible that carriers will offer upgrades to many WM5 devices.
    Agree... WM 6 is so much like WM5 I wouldnt consider it an upgrade at all. I would rather stick with WM5 and just get the new pocket outlook with HTML support. I guess I havent played with WM6 long enough to really know whats diff. but its nothing to get overly excited about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstink View Post
    Agree... WM 6 is so much like WM5 I wouldnt consider it an upgrade at all. I would rather stick with WM5 and just get the new pocket outlook with HTML support. I guess I havent played with WM6 long enough to really know whats diff. but its nothing to get overly excited about.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I have played with it and I think it is very nice and I would LOVE to have it on my Treo. But from a technology standpoint, it is more of an update to WM5 so it should install in current WM5 devices with little effort.

As opposed to an entire new OS where drivers need to be rewritten and current hardware specs are not enough to run it
    For sure... I do like a few of the UI tweaks. But mostly just outlook updates to me.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...fessionals.pdf
    There are a number of reasons why its significantly better, even on a Treo 750 or 700wx

1) Better memory management, and more stable.
    2) storage card encryption.
    3) Exchange 2007 integration.
    4) Pocket outlook shortcut keys and HTML e-mail
    5) Internet sharing - turn your device into a bluetooth intenet access point.
    6) smartfilter in Media Player, and you can now (again) save playlist created on the device.
    7) even better one-handed support
    8) Windows Update on your device itself
    9) DHTML in PocketIE
    10) Better full-screen mode in PocketIE

and many more. IF you do have an upgrade available there is no reason to stay on WM5.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    There are a number of reasons why its significantly better, even on a Treo 750 or 700wx

1) Better memory management, and more stable.
    2) storage card encryption.
    3) Exchange 2007 integration.
    4) Pocket outlook shortcut keys and HTML e-mail
    5) Internet sharing - turn your device into a bluetooth intenet access point.
    6) smartfilter in Media Player, and you can now (again) save playlist created on the device.
    7) even better one-handed support
    8) Windows Update on your device itself
    9) DHTML in PocketIE
    10) Better full-screen mode in PocketIE

and many more. IF you do have an upgrade available there is no reason not to stay on WM5.

Surur

Well I had about 90% of the same list typed out when I noticed Surur's post!!
    Better memory management, and more stable. is yet to be seen.

As for the rest, still looks like a few software updates and nothing to make this a new version. WM5.5 is a better name for it. I want it, and will install it, but dont think I wont have a rom backup first.
    Yes, I agree that testing is better than a press release.

I love how the WM lovers constantly say how stabile WM is, then when the next release comes out it's always more stable with better memory management.

To me, stable is it doesn't crash and features continue to work. It's either stable or it's not. You can't get more stable. WM5 on the Treo is stable in the sense it usually doesn't crash. But it's not stable in the sense that features stop working at random times. Want to connect via bluetooth? Woops have to reset. Want the phone to ring on an incoming call? Woops have to reset.

It would nice to get better software, but Palm has had an abysmal record with upgrades in the past year. Until there is any Palm announcement I don't believe there will be any WM6 upgrade for existing devices.

Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Surur and I are both using crossbow right now, and I agree with him. Much quicker than 5, and no lockups.

I will admit, however, that I do not use the device the way I would my other devices. It's on a Universal and I don't like it. Too big for me IMO. So I use it 1 day a week or so, with few programs on it. That being said, I would update my other phones in a heartbeat if it was available.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    To me, stable is it doesn't crash and features continue to work. It's either stable or it's not. You can't get more stable. WM5 on the Treo is stable in the sense it usually doesn't crash. But it's not stable in the sense that features stop working at random times. Want to connect via bluetooth? Woops have to reset. Want the phone to ring on an incoming call? Woops have to reset.
    I wont deny this still happens, but them I am using a beta ROM. Its very annoying however. Lets just say when it works, it works well But definitely no crashes or lock ups, even with very low memory.

Surur
    I think you forgot to mention better one hand use Surur