Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    MS formally outed WM6 today, I am assuming that my 700WX will be compatible with the upgraded OS, correct?

Since I am fairly new to the PDA world (this is my first one, got it in Sept), how are the upgrades usually handled?

Do we have to wait until it is made available via our providers (Sprint in my case), or can we upgrade to it on our own? At teh MS website?

Finally, is this something that they charge for like upgrading from XP to Vista or will it be free?

Any thoughts and guidance would be greatly appreciated since I am still sort of a n00b, thanks!

Oh, one more thought; I am assuming that WM6 will "play" better with Vista than WM5 on the 700WX, anyone have any inside info on this?
    The answers to your questions are all unknown however, it is likely that there will be no upgrade path to existing equipment since the WM5 screen resolution isn't supported in WM6. WM6 will probably require new hardware (another smartphone).

Of course the Dash is supposed to be getting an upgrade so I may be wrong about the screen issues. You will just need to stay turned to see what happens.

Ok. Tdar. You HAVE to give us more info than that. What phone is it? Who's supplying it (VZW or Sprint)? And other specs, ie ram, gps, wifi??????
    Lol, those pics tell us two things. 1) palm might in fact be toying with wm6... 2) they haven't learned crap! 300mhz!?!?!
    Yeech, perhaps someone took a 750 and upgraded it with WM6 Beta, OR that's the crappy 755 for CDMA which gives us another minimal upgrade. (Sorry, WM6 is NOT an improvement like 2003 to WM5 was, as surur put it... its WM5 Second Edition).

Shadow, you think Palm will learn anything at this point?
    wm6 has some very good improvements in the drivers... It'll be very nice, but it's not a major change, that's true... The cpu they are using there is capable of 400mhz, dunno why they put it at 300...
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I think that's the 750. Engadget said that Cingular will be offering an upgrade for their 750.
    That would be the 300MHz Sammy, no? What's wrong with that? The 750 uses it, users don't seem to be complaining of performance issues. And with the performance improvements I've seen of WM6, it's probably more than enough.
    It can't be, it's not the right cpu is it? The 750 uses a pxa doesn't it?
    Nevermind, I'm wrong, it could very well be a 750 upgraded... The 750 is in fact a sammy cpu. Boy, the things I don't know using CDMA...
    Being that there's no carrier logo of any kind, it looks like it could be the unlocked 750 that was just released in Europe.
    come on tdar. give us some more info...
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    Being that there's no carrier logo of any kind, it looks like it could be the unlocked 750 that was just released in Europe.
    Hmm. Right after I bought the 700wx we have these developments -- the unlocked 750 becomes non-mythical and WM6 is released.

I better sit tight. If I buy another Treo I know exactly what will happen: Palm will immediately release a Treo with the new Linux/Garnet OS, wifi, all nice and thin, with > 240 x 240 screen resolution.
    The upgrade has now been officially announced for the 750.

Should mean that we will see it on the wx even if it is not "officially supported" correct?
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    The upgrade has now been officially announced for the 750.

Should mean that we will see it on the wx even if it is not "officially supported" correct?
    I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of Wm6 upgrades. MS seems to be really pushing this big time, especially with the iPhone launch looming.

Between the above pics and some pics of the Motorola Q (GSM version to be released) running WM6 Standard, it could be a very interesting next couple of months.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I wonder if moving to WM6 would kill the hacked threaded SMS code that is floating around. I suppose since Palm looks to be putting in on the new 750 that it has been updated or never broken.
    PDA History: Handspring Visor > Toshiba e335 > Palm T|X > Palm Treo 700wx > AT&T Tilt & Treo 750
    Phone History: Unknown Nokia > Nokia 6340i > Motorola V551 > Motorola e815 > Palm Treo 700wx > AT&T Tilt & Treo 750
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    ai ya...

my company is switching to Sprint and I don't know if I should get the 700wx or the 700p... coming from my treo 680... what you guys think lol

If the WX can upgrade to the new WM6 for sure i'd stick to the wx hahah
    Last edited by spinteews; 02/12/2007 at 03:57 PM. Reason: more questions
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of Wm6 upgrades. MS seems to be really pushing this big time, especially with the iPhone launch looming.

Between the above pics and some pics of the Motorola Q (GSM version to be released) running WM6 Standard, it could be a very interesting next couple of months.
    Anyone think the CDMA Moto Q will get that WM6 upgrade or will it take the work of hackers to get WM6 on there?
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    Anyone think the CDMA Moto Q will get that WM6 upgrade or will it take the work of hackers to get WM6 on there?
    I think are chances are better that we will get it rather than not just b/c the GSM version is not that different from the CDMA (we're talking radio stack here and some carrier customization), so it looks like the bulk of the work is already done. I mean usually when you see a "new OS" on the same device, that bodes well.

Combine that with some other reasons:
    - The Q is a high profile, popular device, very new to Sprint (not even retail yet)
    - We need some update to fix the daylight savings issues
    - We're still running AKU 2.4, which is quite old
    - People are hearing from Sprint about a ROM update in March (?, take that with a grain of salt)

But honestly, we just won't know. This is a triple dance between MS, Moto and Sprint, but I feel confident that we will see something.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast