Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Wishful thinking, me thinks.
    PDA History: Handspring Visor > Toshiba e335 > Palm T|X > Palm Treo 700wx > AT&T Tilt & Treo 750
    Phone History: Unknown Nokia > Nokia 6340i > Motorola V551 > Motorola e815 > Palm Treo 700wx > AT&T Tilt & Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshalus View Post
    Wishful thinking, me thinks.
    Me agrees
    It may be wishful thinking, but it makes more sense. What do you think a company like Palm would do? Spend time creating a ROM update to add threaded SMS, then later on create a ROM update to update to WM6? Or wait and then do both in the same ROM update? Which do you think would cost them more and take more resources / time?
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    It may be wishful thinking, but it makes more sense. What do you think a company like Palm would do? Spend time creating a ROM update to add threaded SMS, then later on create a ROM update to update to WM6? Or wait and then do both in the same ROM update? Which do you think would cost them more and take more resources / time?
    ...or they have no plans for any ROM updates and just focus their resources on a WM6 device. That sounds like a plan Palm would take.
    Yeah, unfortunately that's probably what they're going to do.
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    If porting a 750 ROM to a 700 was "easy," then you guys would have a2dp by now. And vc over bt. The 750 update wont be available for a little while, and add to that the fact that Palm is months away from releasing a new cdma phone (the Sherlock), consider yourselves lucky if good-old Palm gives you an upgrade!
    amen
    LongLivePalm
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    The answers to your questions are all unknown however, it is likely that there will be no upgrade path to existing equipment since the WM5 screen resolution isn't supported in WM6. WM6 will probably require new hardware (another smartphone).

Of course the Dash is supposed to be getting an upgrade so I may be wrong about the screen issues. You will just need to stay turned to see what happens.
    The DASH has 320x240 screen resolution, so it should handle WM6 with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    The answers to your questions are all unknown however, it is likely that there will be no upgrade path to existing equipment since the WM5 screen resolution isn't supported in WM6. WM6 will probably require new hardware (another smartphone).

Of course the Dash is supposed to be getting an upgrade so I may be wrong about the screen issues. You will just need to stay turned to see what happens.
    Actually WM5 resolution IS supported in WM6.
    WM6 supports the Treo's current 240 X 240 res. In addition, the operating system now can handle 320 X 320 hardware screens. That means a new Treo model. Perhaps Palm will adapt that route or they could potentially jump to 480 X 480 (unlikely though).
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    If porting a 750 ROM to a 700 was "easy," then you guys would have a2dp by now.
    Oh but we do...
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately that's probably what they're going to do.
    My bet is that they are going to do nothing.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    My bet is that they are going to do nothing.
    I think that's a pretty safe bet...
    END OF LINE
    Everyone saw this right?

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...wm6-treatment/

Granted it's Cingular but maybe our hopes are not as far off as we think!!!
    -Parrott84

The Treo 700wx was a great device. Especially for one handed use, but it would be hard to give up my Mogul now.

myChristianConnection.org
    I think that treo 700wx screen resoultion is set low because wm5, not because of the treo itself. The 700p has a higher resoultion
    It doesn't look good. I asked someone at Palm about 700w and 700wx owners being able to upgrade as well and received this:

"today's announcement is focused on the 750 - We don't have anything to announce regarding the 700w or 700wx at this time."

I highly doubt there will be an "official upgrade. The great thing about the people here at TC is they somehow manage to make things happen that Palm can't.

Hannip, ya listenin'?
    Jimmie Geddes
    Don't think Palm's giving out WM6 upgrades to 700w/wx consumers because it's been on the market for a very long time, compared to the 750 which was out (on Cingular) for a few weeks or months before the official upgrade. Yes, I know the wx for Verizon was just released, but that's still an incremental upgrade from the w to achieve memory gains.

That being said, Verizon has been great at upgrades. They've upgraded the i730 from Samsung from PPC2003SE to WM5. It took a long time for it though, but it was released. I think VZW could pressure Palm to releasing the upgrade to WM6 on the 700w/wx, albeit later with much, much testing.
    Besides, it seems like there is still enough of an isse making it run stable on WM5, why jump on to WM6.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123