Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    But honestly, we just won't know. This is a triple dance between MS, Moto and Sprint, but I feel confident that we will see something.
    I have to agree. Nevertheless, if it is released for the 750, it will be easy enough to hck up to work on the 700wx. I just cant wait to get this OS, since it will finally give a measure of control back to the consumers, in that it allows us to update our OS without having to get stuck in carrier certification hell.
    bit_bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdar View Post

Hope this helps with the mystery phone.
    Hey yall this phone is the 750 it was on egadget mobile which the next question how can I put this on my treo 700w. See the article http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...dows-mobile-6/
    No more Tilt for me came back and got the Treo Pro.
    Again, to reiterate, I dont think it will be hard to use this ROM with CDMA radio stacks, we just need to be careful with certain DLL's and whatnot. If they don't jive with the CDMA stacks, you can get a bricked phone. Still, there are enough talented people out the (cough XDA) to port this sucker over to GSM, we just need someone to take it one step further.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    I think that since the 750 is getting the upgrade then the rest of us that are running the WM5 should also.
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    I think that since the 750 is getting the upgrade then the rest of us that are running the WM5 should also.
    Not that I don't agree with you, because I feel it should come out as well for the 700wx, but I feel as if they see the 700wx as a sailed ship and is NOT their flagship phone. That being said, do I think an upgrade is coming out? Yes... will it be from Palm? No.

I am hoping that that is not the case. However, why would they announce it for the 750 series but not the 700 series?

-D
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Not that I don't agree with you, because I feel it should come out as well for the 700wx, but I feel as if they see the 700wx as a sailed ship and is NOT their flagship phone. That being said, do I think an upgrade is coming out? Yes... will it be from Palm? No.

I am hoping that that is not the case. However, why would they announce it for the 750 series but not the 700 series?

-D
    Ugh, I hate quoting myself, but Palm just announced that they would be offering TREO devices later this year with WM6... no words yet on upgrades to specific devices already released.
    I'll be ready to jump the palm / treo ship if they don't offer the upgrade for the 700wx. I paid around $600 when it first came out (which wasn't that long ago!) and can't justify another $5-600 on a nearly identical treo with WM6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Ugh, I hate quoting myself, but Palm just announced that they would be offering TREO devices later this year with WM6... no words yet on upgrades to specific devices already released.
    what bothers me is the wording, they say they will "offer devices" not that they will "offer upgrades", granted semantically they leave themselves wiggle room to do upgrades across the board but here's the kicker:

Don't you think they want to take advantage of a 320x320 screen? e.g. a "new device". I mean, they're the only game in town doing that resolution and I couldn't imagine they'd twist MS's arm and not use it right away.

Who knows though. I just wish they'd do a T-Mobile/HTC and say "Yes, all Dash users will get the upgrade. Free.".

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I agree with Darth, the upgrade is coming, if it comes from Palm great. I'd pay for an upgrade. I remember when Palm actually let you buy upgrades. I upgraded my Palm Vx, they charged like 30 bucks. I'm not sure if it went from 3.0-3.5, or 3.5-4.0, it's been a while,lol. I would like to see Palm do this, if they don't there are experts around here who will figure it out. I just read that T-Mobile is going to give away WM6 for free to current Dash owners, now that's what I call awesome. I can't wait to have it on my Dash.
    Jimmie Geddes
    There's some info in the thread I started when it came out

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=136643

None of it is good though
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    This is totally doubtful because of the screen resolution but we could all cross our fingers.

Tom
    Treo Blast!
    PDA Blast!
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Well, its not doubtful, as it seems that WM6 will run with a 240x240 screen just fine, as seen in those pics.

So if it can be done on a 750, it can be done on a 700w(x) as well.
    If Palm puts WM6 on the 750, it would be fairly easy for them to port it over to the 700w/wx considering the similarity of the two devices and that WM6 is basically a servicepack upgrade to WM5. The question is whether Palm will choose to service its existing customers or force us to buy a new device for WM6.

Its hard to say what Palm will do. On one hand, they have not been the most forthcoming on OS upgrades/enhancements as shown with the non-existant threaded SMS on the WM5 700 series. It took the work of others to make this happen. On the other hand, Microsoft wants people using the latest and greatest OS (WM6) to ensure their marketshare and I would think they would persuade Palm to upgrade their WM5 phones. Afterall, the iPhone is coming out and they need as much marketshare as they can.

Considering I upgraded to a 700wx late last year, I am not excited about buying yet another phone. I can live with the 240x240 resolution for now if I can get WM6 free or at a fair upgrade price.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    If porting a 750 ROM to a 700 was "easy," then you guys would have a2dp by now. And vc over bt. The 750 update wont be available for a little while, and add to that the fact that Palm is months away from releasing a new cdma phone (the Sherlock), consider yourselves lucky if good-old Palm gives you an upgrade!
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    If Palm puts WM6 on the 750, it would be fairly easy for them to port it over to the 700w/wx considering the similarity of the two devices and that WM6 is basically a servicepack upgrade to WM5. The question is whether Palm will choose to service its existing customers or force us to buy a new device for WM6.

Its hard to say what Palm will do. On one hand, they have not been the most forthcoming on OS upgrades/enhancements as shown with the non-existant threaded SMS on the WM5 700 series. It took the work of others to make this happen. On the other hand, Microsoft wants people using the latest and greatest OS (WM6) to ensure their marketshare and I would think they would persuade Palm to upgrade their WM5 phones. Afterall, the iPhone is coming out and they need as much marketshare as they can.

Considering I upgraded to a 700wx late last year, I am not excited about buying yet another phone. I can live with the 240x240 resolution for now if I can get WM6 free or at a fair upgrade price.
    Stroths, I keep hearing "palm, palm, palm" but you're forgetting the real player here: Sprint (and Verizon).

Palm can't just roll out software to our devices directly. They need the blessing, approval and money from the carriers first. If Sprint wants the Treo 700wx to run WM6 then Palm will do it. If Sprint doesn't ask for it then no, we won't.

Palm actually has very little to do with this. They are just the middle man here. They are certainly not going to go make WM6 for the 700wx if Sprint hasn't asked for it or shown interest.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Malatesta summed it up completely.
    If we want WM6 available for the wx we better start banging on Sprints door today for tomorrow.

Phil C
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Malatesta is indeed correct. It is up to the handset makers to offer upgrades for individual phones, not the manufacturer or Microsoft. Not sure how it works in other countries, but that is the way the business is set up in the US and Canada. Bugging Sprint and Verizon are the best bets, as they're the ones who will pay for such an upgrade to be produced (and most likely pass that charge on to us). They also (as always) get to put the finishing touches on a distribution of WM.

As for moving a ROM image from a 750 to a 700, I'm quite skeptical. They are completely different phones with different processors, hardware components, communications stacks, etc. That being said, I've learned not to underestimate the abilities of strongly-willed hackers.

I totally expect us to be screwed and forced waiting for a new CDMA model during Palm's annual refresh this fall. If they're really desperate to get a WM6 phone out the door for Sprint/VZW, they we'll most likely end up with a 320x320 version of the 750 (think 700p minus the antenna) this summer assuming they get the CDMA bits and pieces to work without an external antenna.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aetherion View Post
    assuming they get the CDMA bits and pieces to work without an external antenna.
    Yeah they surely can. They could even shove some RevA if they wanted to, without adding an antenna. They could even do it on the 700 series but trust me, they were just lazy to do it

Somebody once told me the HSDPA radio is huge compared to the CDMA one.
    Maybe they haven't released a ROM update for the W / WX with the threaded SMS app. because they're waiting to do it all at the same time (release a WM6 update w/ the threaded SMS app. in it)?
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    Maybe they haven't released a ROM update for the W / WX with the threaded SMS app. because they're waiting to do it all at the same time (release a WM6 update w/ the threaded SMS app. in it)?
    that would be awesome. i like the way you're thinking.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast