Hey all,

Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated. I recently purchased a Yellow Machine NAS that also can do a whole lot more (such as function as a VPN server, router, firewall, etc.). Unfortunately, the company that makes it went out of business; although the product is really cool and pretty stable from what I here. I've set it up as just a NAS and put it behind my current firewall/router in my internal network. However, I've also set it up as a PPTP VPN server and am forwarding port 1723 to it. I can make a VPN connection from a regular Windows XP box to the device (and then access network resources on my private network), but don't seem to be able to make a connection to it from my Sprint Treo 700wx via 1xEVDO. Everytime I try to connect, it fails with the following error message: "VPN server problems. Verify your username and password, and try again If the problem continues, turn the device off and try again." During the set up of the vpn connection on my Windows XP box, I had to make some specific changes per the Yellow Machine instructions in order to get the connection to work, including:
- VPN properties: security tab: switched from typical settings to advanced (custom) settings
- VPN properties: security tab: advanced (custom) settings: settings button: data encryption: require encryption (disconnect if server declines)
- VPN properties: security tab: advanced (custom) settings: settings button: allow these protocols: only checked Microsoft CHAP Version 2 (MS-CHAP v2)
- VPN properties: security tab: IPSec Settings button: unchecked "use pre-shared key for authentication"
- VPN properties: networking tab: type of VPN: PPTP VPN

I'm wondering if somewhere in there is a setting that cannot be transferred to the Treo and that's causing the VPN connection to fail. My main goal is to be able to access data off of the NAS itself when connected via VPN, but it would also be nice to be able to access other data securely within my private network (and also connect to machines remotely via RDP or VNC securely within my private network via the VPN connection). The Yellow Machine NAS also has FTP, and I know I can forward ports 20 and 21 to it and use FTP to access data remotely, but it seems very insecure compared with the VPN connection.

Anyone know any way I can get this to work with my Treo? Maybe a registry hack that enables whatever setting I am possibly missing that is on the PC?? I'd even be willing to use a 3rd party VPN client as long as I'd be able to connect to my private network. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!