Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Yes, the hardware is perfectly capable of supporting WM6. WM6 is really just WM5 Second Edition, and the hardware requirement specs remain the same. In fact devices with 200 MHz processors, 64 MB ram and 128 MB storage will continue to be released. The T-Mobile Dash is being upgraded, and has the same specs as above.

Don't be surprised to hear some bizarre excuse from Palm however. They did not even bring the threaded SMS messaging to the 700wx.

Surur
    Just to add to this.

You can upgrade, absolutely... you just need to get your hands on the installer. However, you will lose a lot of the PALM functionality that they have infused into our current ROM release. I am sure a lot of little goodies are imbedded that we haven't even really thought of, but once you change your OS, you will surely miss them.
    You mean like the palm keyboard driver? and backlight? Maybe the special screen size? there are a lot of palm special hacks in the 700wx's version that would be difficult to move to a "hack upgrade" of wm6.
    Interestingly WM6 now allow dialing from the today screen. Most of Palm's innovations have been rolled in.

Surur
    I think I may return my 700WX. I just got it like 2-3 weeks ago. Which means less than 30 days.

I dont know what I'll do in the mean time, but what all do you recommend?

I dont want a 2nd rate phone that I -just- got.
    I don't know. I'll keep my 700wx for a while. I just installed the threaded SMS feature. Palm did the Versamail 3.0 --> 3.5 upgrade for a nominal amount. The fact that Palm didn't give the threaded SMS upgrade on the same theory tells me that we ain't gonna see WM5 --> WM6 upgrades for the 700wx.

I bought an end of life 700wx phone 2 weeks ago. But I'm liking it and I'm keeping it. That SERO deal is fabulous.
    Honestly there isn't a whole lot in WM6 that makes me upset I just ordered a 700wx last week. To me it looks like a glossy interface, updated branding, with some little tweaks.

I'll take the battle tested WM5 and wait for WM7 on my next device.
    PDA History: Handspring Visor > Toshiba e335 > Palm T|X > Palm Treo 700wx > AT&T Tilt & Treo 750
    Phone History: Unknown Nokia > Nokia 6340i > Motorola V551 > Motorola e815 > Palm Treo 700wx > AT&T Tilt & Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Interestingly WM6 now allow dialing from the today screen. Most of Palm's innovations have been rolled in.

Surur
    Well, MS claims that has been available since AKU 2.6, and I coudn't do it on the 8525 w/that AKU and I STILL can't do it with AKU 3.3. Never tried with the Uni though, can you confirm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshalus View Post
    Honestly there isn't a whole lot in WM6 that makes me upset I just ordered a 700wx last week. To me it looks like a glossy interface, updated branding, with some little tweaks.

I'll take the battle tested WM5 and wait for WM7 on my next device.
    Looks like you may not have to worry, unless Sprint is getting a different device:

"Palm plans to offer Treo™ smartphones with Windows Mobile 6 later this year."

http://www.palm.com/us/software/winm...nounce_dblwide
    I can conform that, on the Uni, if you start typing a name or a number, it will automatically go to the dialer, and start filtering your contacts with the info. It basically saves the step of pressing the phone key.

Surur
    any one know if the 750 upgrade will work for our 700W/X devices or maybe can be adjusted to work with our devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite View Post
    the 700p and 700wx most certainly use 2 different screens. I am already involved in a project to upgrade the 700wx to use 320x320 via a screen swap and a driver hack coupled with setting up the pxa-272 properly to know what size screen it'll have. Basically, for the 700wx to use 320x320 you need 3 things:
    1) Screen replacement (650 screen works)
    2) CPU boot flags hack (setting up the properly pixels per line and line numbers)
    3) Hacking the driver for wm5 to do 1.5 time multiples

For #3, there is some virtual display software already out that is able to hack the driver for us, it detects the pxa flags resolution and will allow 320x320 to run in wm5... #2 is what I'm playing with... Anyone who understand what I just said, please feel free to come help out!
    Is this project documented on your site? I could not find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    You can upgrade, absolutely... you just need to get your hands on the installer. However, you will lose a lot of the PALM functionality that they have infused into our current ROM release. I am sure a lot of little goodies are imbedded that we haven't even really thought of, but once you change your OS, you will surely miss them.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite View Post
    You mean like the palm keyboard driver? and backlight? Maybe the special screen size? there are a lot of palm special hacks in the 700wx's version that would be difficult to move to a "hack upgrade" of wm6.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I am holding off any moves until a WM6 device hits the Sprint shelves. Ben
    OK, then! I'm definitely holding off on even considering getting a T700wx...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12