Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I finally got the google maps for windows mobile, i have the sprint palm treo 700wx im somewhat new to it, but i saw a feature on the google maps that says "track locations (GPS)" but when i select that it, it doesnt seem to work, says "your gps receiver does not apper to be responding" so im not sure how to get it to work if there is even a way for it to work. im guessing this feature is like a navigation system like you would find in new cars like bmw's. so if someone can please help me out, this would be a really good feature for me since im really bad with directions.

thank you.
    Do you have a GPS hooked up to your Treo? It does not have one internally.
  3.    #3  
    i thought it has gps built in
    Quote Originally Posted by pate83 View Post
    i thought it has gps built in
    nope
  5.    #5  
    oh that sucks, i was really excited, so then what is the gps do we have on the phone, i do see a gps button in the settings section.
    There is gps built-in (not true gps but rather Sprint's location based service (LBS))

Unfortunately, Sprint has only enabled is it in evdo rev. a devices.

It's too bad...google maps + LBS = the schiznit.
  7.    #7  
    i have rev. a and evdo, so does that help at all with the google maps and gps or am i totally out of luck
    I don't think the Treo is a Rev A phone though. You may have the service out there but the phone won't care.
    Dude with any current Treo you HAVE to have an external GPS unit to get what you're looking for. The GPS setting in the device is for Enhanced 911 - for 911 operators to be able to approximate your location.

Just go to www.buygpsnow.com and grab a receiver for $99. Works great. And then once you have GPS working with Google Maps (what I call 'poor man's GPS' - although I use it a great deal of time), you can then graduate to full GPS solution from TeleNav - www.telenav.com - and you can keep and use your receiver.
    Sounds like their should be some software or a hack to get around this limitation.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    Dude with any current Treo you HAVE to have an external GPS unit to get what you're looking for. The GPS setting in the device is for Enhanced 911 - for 911 operators to be able to approximate your location.

Just go to www.buygpsnow.com and grab a receiver for $99. Works great. And then once you have GPS working with Google Maps (what I call 'poor man's GPS' - although I use it a great deal of time), you can then graduate to full GPS solution from TeleNav - www.telenav.com - and you can keep and use your receiver.
    does the GPS reciever you would buy at Telenav's website work with any GPS software or just the Telenav service?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    buygpsnow is good, but their ebay store is even better. I picked up a great adapter for $60 including shipping.
    The only rev. A devices on the market are or data cards (or usb adapters). No phone is actually rev. A yet.

LBS works with those cards and integrates with google, live, etc. On the desktop it is awesome.
    I have an i.Trek BT GPS receiver and it does not work with Google maps. I get the same error message as mentioned above.

It does work just fine with MS Search and Mapopolis, however.
    same here with garmin mobile xt. it does not work.
    I have a an iblue GPS unit that works fine with Google Maps. The only thing it does is show a blinking blue dot that moves around the map while you do. Not really a huge help but kind've neat. I prefer a real nav program. I'm using Pharos Ostia 6.1 right now.
    My Route 66 BT GPS receiver works well with Google Maps too, and like "LawMen23" pointed out, all it does is show your current location as a blue dot.
    For "real" GPS navigation, i stick to TomTom 6.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbayarb View Post
    does the GPS reciever you would buy at Telenav's website work with any GPS software or just the Telenav service?
    The GPS receiver that Telenav sells will work with any GPS software. I use Telenav.

I am hoping to see the Google maps upgrade for the Palm that also supports GPS.

Telenav for the Palm is in need of an upgrade too so we can get 3-D maps.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    ok, I'm a little confused about this "blue dot" thing. Does the dot not represent the user's gps location? If so, how does this not equate to real time navigation? It obviously won't verbally dictate turn by turn directions, but it seems as though it would be functional enough. Seems if you use Google directions, and have the course laid out for you on your device, the dot should indicate where you are on the course, no? Being able to zoom in and out on the course just offers that much more versatility when following long range directions...

Is GMM with GPS just a fun toy, or is it a practical solution (not having to buy a $400+ dashtop device)? We used a Garmin (forgot the model number) with our rental car in Dallas last month. While it was great in the city on congested streets, it was almost a hinderance on the interstate if you were actually waiting for your turn instruction. Twice it told us to turn right as we passed our exit. I guess it's not designed to use while moving 70+mph?
    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    It's more fun than logical, seeing that you still need wireless data for Google Maps to function.
    If you're driving 70+ MPH and data coverage is slow, then you're in trouble.
    You don't have to pay $400 for dedicated GPS units or even BT GPS packages.
    I use TomTom 6 which retails for $299 (less if you look well enough online) for the whole package. I just got the software because I already had my own BT receiver.
    Also standalone car units can be had for $299, like the TomTom One.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast