1.    #1  
    Speed up your Treo 750 (works on most WM5)

Thought some of you may enjoy these. Nothing new here, just tweaks to speed things up a bit. The menu animation tweaks really helps!

As with any system or registry tweaks, always backup in case something does go amiss. Remember, we're not responsible for any loss of data.

1. Disable Windows menu animation
    Switching off eye candies like animation keeps your handheld zippy. To do so, you'll need a registry editor like PHM RegEdit to modify the registry. Navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM\GWE\Menu,
    then change the value of "AniType" from 6 (default) to 0. This disables the menu animation.
    If doing this is a daunting task, an easy alternative is with RegKing. This nifty freeware lets you toggle the menu animation easily and offers other tweaks.

2. Increase display cache
    Another tip to speed up the display is to increase the glyph cache value. However, this will take up more system memory. Launch your registry editor and browse to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE.
    Change the value of "limit" from 8192 (default) to 16384 or even 32768.

3. Close not minimize
    If you are unaware, when you tap on the close button, the program only minimizes. Hence, you may end up with a string of programs running on the background taking up valuable memory. Check out some freeware task managers to better manage your device's resources. Wisbar, Magic button, etc.

4.Boost Windows Mobile 5 performance up to 20 percent
    [HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS] CacheSize = 4096 EnableCache = 1 [HKLM\System\StorageManager\Filters\fsreplxfilt] ReplStoreCacheSize = 4096 * Soft reset for changes to take effect. Default values for all keys are 0
    Last edited by Interstink; 02/10/2007 at 10:40 PM.
    Default value for me on [HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS] EnableCache was one not 0, and I never did this hack before. So will that make a difference in performance if it already was at 1?
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    Default value for me on [HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS] EnableCache was one not 0, and I never did this hack before. So will that make a difference in performance if it already was at 1?
    Then you are already good to go!
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Yea I haven't done this yet, I wanted to see how performance was w/o these tweaks compared to the 8525, which was pretty close. Applying them now, thanks for the reminder!
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstink View Post
    Speed up your Treo 750 (works on most WM5)

Thought some of you may enjoy these. Nothing new here, just tweaks to speed things up a bit. The menu animation tweaks really helps!

4.Boost Windows Mobile 5 performance up to 20 percent
    [HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS] CacheSize = 4096 EnableCache = 1 [HKLM\System\StorageManager\Filters\fsreplxfilt] ReplStoreCacheSize = 4096 * Soft reset for changes to take effect. Default values for all keys are 0
    #4 is already the default in my Treo...
    Jer 23:29
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    After a soft reset it goes back to the default settings
  7.    #7  
    Cant tell you... I always use the NO animation for menus, really helps visually. All other speed tweaks are subjective.
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    After a soft reset it goes back to the default settings
    Wait a few minutes and make sure you power the device off once before resetting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstink View Post
    Cant tell you... I always use the NO animation for menus, really helps visually. All other speed tweaks are subjective.
    is there a tweak to disable animation?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Is there a way to turn off notifications? I don't want the little bubbles telling me I have email or vmail.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Is there a way to turn off notifications? I don't want the little bubbles telling me I have email or vmail.
    Settings>Sounds & Notifications

Just unselect the popup message for various events where you don't want a notification.
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey View Post
    is there a tweak to disable animation?
    ; Disable menu animation
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GWE\Menu]
    "AniType"=dword:00000000
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbamenra View Post
    Settings>Sounds & Notifications

Just unselect the popup message for various events where you don't want a notification.
    Doh! Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Doh! Thanks.
    Let us know if that works for you. I know someone with a 750 who was not able to diable the popup for email.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    IMHO the best tweaks for the Treo 750v will be the updates to WM6 and HSDPA.....

Letīs hope they are made available soon
    Quote Originally Posted by aloner View Post
    IMHO the best tweaks for the Treo 750v will be the updates to WM6 and HSDPA.....

Letīs hope they are made available soon
    I agree 100%. But that doesn't mean we won't need stuff like the above to tweak our devices!
    Awesome. Works great!