Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Hey everyone, I am somewhat new to these forums but I have gained a lot of good advice from them. I currently have a Treo 680 and I love it. It is a Workhorse! I just wished the Palm OS could handle multitasking. I hate that it can not. So I am considering purchasing a 750. I will be using it on T-mobile so I am looking for an unlocked phone. My question is: should I go Vodofone or Cingular? Or should I wait for Palm to release an inlocked 750? I do not want to wait long mind you. Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by TLCC View Post
    Hey everyone, I am somewhat new to these forums but I have gained a lot of good advice from them. I currently have a Treo 680 and I love it. It is a Workhorse! I just wished the Palm OS could handle multitasking. I hate that it can not. So I am considering purchasing a 750. I will be using it on T-mobile so I am looking for an unlocked phone. My question is: should I go Vodofone or Cingular? Or should I wait for Palm to release an inlocked 750? I do not want to wait long mind you. Any suggestions?
    My Advice:
    Roll a pair of 6 sided dice:
    get 1-6: wait for unlocked from palm to be released in US.
    7-12: buy a cingular one now and get the sim unlock code some kind of way.

Let me know how it turns out.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grundler View Post
    My Advice:
    Roll a pair of 6 sided dice:
    get 1-6: wait for unlocked from palm to be released in US.
    7-12: buy a cingular one now and get the sim unlock code some kind of way.

Let me know how it turns out.
    WOW! I kind of expected some kind of intelligence, but hey, why not. I don't see how I didn't come up with that. Man!

You know, I would not have posted if I really did not want your opinon.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I have to admit that the dice suggestion is as valid as anything else you might get. Both Vodaphone and Cingular 750s can be unlocked. Buy whichever one makes the most economic sense for you, recognizing that neither will have much of a warranty for you. I can't think of anything other than price and support that would influence this decision.
    now lets not get nasty. that is the best way to have folks ignore your requests.

you obviously have two choices...wait for unlocked or purchase branded and get it unlocked.

I am currently using a 750v on T-Mobile and it works well. it has a few quirks with the OS such as when I flip the switch to silent at night and in the morning I flip it back, I sometimes only get vibrate alerts instead of audible. the ringer always works but the rest of the audible reminders and beeps do not. a soft reset takes care of it.

battery life could be better. I have it checking email every 15 minutes and talk about an hour or so a day, and by the end of the day I am at 20% battery life. not a big deal since I always recharge every night..and I have never run out of battery...but have come really close a few times.

sometimes the screen will not wake up after sitting all night. a soft reset fixes that as well.

otherwise I like it. and I have had them all...TyTN and all of the other HTC PPC phones, blackjack, blackberry, etc... I keep coming back to Treo.

I personally will be purchasing an unlocked 750 from Palm when released just for the sake of easy US updates and support. I was hoping to see a Vodafone OS update by now but no such luck.

if I were you, I would keep using my 680 until the US unlocked 750 is available in a few months. really not that far away.

or...you can go the branded route and pay for unlocking. but then you are always dealing with the potential Cingular restrictions and crippling.

good uck either way and try to tke things lightly in life.
    Thanks,

np
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickp View Post
    now lets not get nasty. that is the best way to have folks ignore your requests.

you obviously have two choices...wait for unlocked or purchase branded and get it unlocked.

I am currently using a 750v on T-Mobile and it works well. it has a few quirks with the OS such as when I flip the switch to silent at night and in the morning I flip it back, I sometimes only get vibrate alerts instead of audible. the ringer always works but the rest of the audible reminders and beeps do not. a soft reset takes care of it.

battery life could be better. I have it checking email every 15 minutes and talk about an hour or so a day, and by the end of the day I am at 20% battery life. not a big deal since I always recharge every night..and I have never run out of battery...but have come really close a few times.

sometimes the screen will not wake up after sitting all night. a soft reset fixes that as well.

otherwise I like it. and I have had them all...TyTN and all of the other HTC PPC phones, blackjack, blackberry, etc... I keep coming back to Treo.

I personally will be purchasing an unlocked 750 from Palm when released just for the sake of easy US updates and support. I was hoping to see a Vodafone OS update by now but no such luck.

if I were you, I would keep using my 680 until the US unlocked 750 is available in a few months. really not that far away.

or...you can go the branded route and pay for unlocking. but then you are always dealing with the potential Cingular restrictions and crippling.

good uck either way and try to tke things lightly in life.
    Thanks, that's axactly what I was wanting to know. I am currently selling my HTC P4350. I just can not get into the side sliding keyboard. I have also used about every WM variation out there and the Treo seems to fit me the best. I may just hold out a little longer until Palm releases an unlocked 750.

Thanks
    WOW! I kind of expected some kind of intelligence, but hey, why not. I don't see how I didn't come up with that. Man!

You know, I would not have posted if I really did not want your opinon.
    there was a segment of advice in there. i did not suggest a vodaphone branded. and also you infer that my suggestion is that either option is no big difference from what you described. barring your time request, i'd go with unbranded. but no idea when that is coming out. i have a 750 cingular that i'd love to return for an unbranded one myself... but time may not be on my side!
    My concern with you getting a Cingular model is getting the unlock code for it. You can only get the unlock code from Cingular and have to be a Cingular customer for them to give it to you.
    Also, people have had problems with Palm not supplying the unlock codes to Cingular or something, so I'm not sure anyone has succesfully done so yet. In any case, sounds like a hassle.

I would wait for the unlocked one from Palm.
    They just released a true unlocked in Europe (or are about to) so you can either get one imported through a dealer in the states, or wait a little longer for Plam to start selling it.
    I've had unlocked Palm 650's and 600's in the past and was glad I did. I'm on a Cingular 750 locked because I'm on Cingular and got it dirt cheap. No complaints. But if I were going to use it on T-Mobile I'd have waited for the real unlocked.

Lasty. You SHOULD eventualy be able to flash any model with the unlocked generic Palm ROM to make it like the unbranded version. But there's a level of risk there and you'll still have to wait for the ROM to be available at xda-developers.com or wherever.
    But getting it subsidy unlocked is still something you'll have to do (flashing the ROM won't do it.)

I say wait for the real Palm unlocked. See what it'll cost to get one from Europe if you don't want to wait (it shouldn't be too much more.) I assume the one they're selling there will be IDENTICAL to the unlocked one they'll sell here, but I think they can't do it yet because of agreements with Cingular.

EDIT
    Scratch my previous comment.
    It looks like you can buy an unlock code from here now:
    http://www.gsmphonesource.com/ (got it from this thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=133818&page=2 )

I don't see any reason to NOT get the Cingular one and unlock it. But I'm still with the wait for the unlocked advice.
    Last edited by taylorh; 02/10/2007 at 06:46 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Cingular doesn't need Palm to provide the codes.
    purchaced from factory cingular store with stipulation that they would unlock. Met all reequirements they have, including paying full price.
    Said would send unlock code by email.
    Sent a code 2 days later from cingular which did not work.
    Called customer service and went thru instructions and still unable to
    unlock. Told return to store for exchange.
    Returned to store, would not exchange. said could only send in for repair.
    Therefore ask for money back. They did but deducted 50 dollars because
    did not have box it came in with me.
    Would not let me bring back later.
    So much at this time for unlocked treo 750
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I think I have decided to wait for Palm to release an unlocked 750. Maybe Palm will release a WM6 version - maybe? I just hope it will be soon. Thanks for the suggestions
    I think I have decided to wait for Palm to release an unlocked 750. Maybe Palm will release a WM6 version - maybe? I just hope it will be soon. Thanks for the suggestions
    extremely doubtful about WM6. and only slightly less doubtful that it'll be soon they release it as is. i have a feeling cingular bought them off to wait until no one cares anymore to release it unlocked...