Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    I have few questions regarding my 700wx:

    1. Can I just buy a GPS Navigation software and install it on my wx?
    2. What's the best Navigation software out there?
    3. Do I need to subscribe to their monthly service to get it working?
    4. How well does it work?

    Thanks in advance.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinomon View Post
    I have few questions regarding my 700wx:

    1. Can I just buy a GPS Navigation software and install it on my wx?
    Yes and No. Yes buy software...Many people like iNav iGuidance and TomTom6.
    NO, you need to buy a GPS device...I'm using the i-Blue Bluetooth GPS Receiver.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dinomon View Post
    2. What's the best Navigation software out there?
    For US, I like iNav and TomTom6.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dinomon View Post
    3. Do I need to subscribe to their monthly service to get it working?
    NO
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinomon View Post
    4. How well does it work?
    Both work great on my 700w....you having more memory on your 700wx should be awesome.
  3.    #3  
    I thought all you need is the Navigation software and Internet on ur Palm..
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinomon View Post
    I thought all you need is the Navigation software and Internet on ur Palm..
    None of the Treo's have built-in GPS hardware.

    You'll need to get a bluetooth adapter, in conjunction with the software. You can buy them together or separately if you want (I suggest buygpsnow_at_cost on ebay). I personally own the Holux 240 and the i-Blue 737, both of which are outstanding: the Holux is super small but relatively short battery life, the i-Blue is slightly larger but with a replaceable battery and longer life..

    For software, I'd personally suggest TomTom Navigator 6, as it has good 240x240 screen and softkey support.

    I have a standalone GPS unit, but I really love having GPS on my phone!
  5. #5  
    One more note....

    Like we said before you need a gps receiver....but you can get by with Windows Live Search or Google Maps for free.
    However, you really need a fast evdo connection to make the maps move quickly enough while you are driving, they don't recalculate the route when you make a wrong turn, and they don't have voice prompts.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    Like we said before you need a gps receiver....but you can get by with Windows Live Search or Google Maps for free.
    However, you really need a fast evdo connection to make the maps move quickly enough while you are driving, they don't recalculate the route when you make a wrong turn, and they don't have voice prompts.
    So even without buying the hardware, we can still use Windows Live Search and Google Maps WITH iNav or TomTom6 and still get the same result. Please correct me if I am wrong.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinomon View Post
    So even without buying the hardware, we can still use Windows Live Search and Google Maps WITH iNav or TomTom6 and still get the same result. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    No. You need hardware in order to track your location, i.e. a GPS bluetooth adapter.

    Hotrod was saying you can get by with the adapter AND a free solution like Windows Live or Google Maps. But if you want a true GPS solution, you're going to want real software like TomTom or iGuidance (some people like Co-Pilot as well). There's no getting around the hardware unless you just want simple driving directions (no GPS capability).
  8. #8  
    Thanks kaiguy.

    Dinomon, head over to http://www.gpspassion.com/ for all kinds of gps info, and http://semsons.com/ to buy a gps device. They have nice bundles with hardware and software together.
  9. #9  
    I've got iGuidance and a Holus GPslim 236 receiver. Both work perfectly. My GPS receiver also work perfectly with Google Maps.
  10.    #10  
    How much does a Holus GPslim 236 receiver cost?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinomon View Post
    How much does a Holus GPslim 236 receiver cost?
    Depends on where you buy it. I believe you've been given a few recommendations on where to look. I've seen the Holux 236 and others new on ebay sold for $60 including shipping.
  12. #12  
    kaiguy,
    Was there any trick to getting the iblue 737 to work with your Treo? I have a 700wx and can't get it to work for the life of me in google maps or windows live search. Any tips appreciated.

    Thanks.
  13. #13  
    I wouldn't call it a trick but more just how I have everything configured (which was a bit different than my other GPS adapter for some reason).

    Ok, under Settings | Connections | Bluetooth, you need create an outgoing COM port for the 737 (mine is paired as "iBT-GPS"). I set it for COM8.

    Under Settings | System | GPS, set your program port to a different open COM port. I set mine for COM4. Now set the Hardware COM port to the corresponding Outgoing COM port (again, mine was COM8) with the baud rate at 115200.

    Set the port in any GPS program (Windows Live, TomTom, etc.) to the software COM port (once again, mine was COM4).

    That should do the trick. It's rock solid (and easy to change to my other bluetooth adapter by just changing the hardware COM port). Hope this helps and wasn't too confusing.
  14. #14  
    I set up everything exactly as you described, except with COM9 instead of COM4 b/c COM4 is being using by something else. I was not able to get Windows Live Search to work on COM9 - it gives me a message that COM9 is unavailable. It did work on COM8 however, but only briefly. I have tried resetting everything and trying over and over and the GPS works in this configuration about 1 in every 10 attempts.

    I guess it's time to sell the iblue and get a different GPS.

    Thanks anyway.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by s2kadam View Post
    I set up everything exactly as you described, except with COM9 instead of COM4 b/c COM4 is being using by something else. I was not able to get Windows Live Search to work on COM9 - it gives me a message that COM9 is unavailable. It did work on COM8 however, but only briefly. I have tried resetting everything and trying over and over and the GPS works in this configuration about 1 in every 10 attempts.

    I guess it's time to sell the iblue and get a different GPS.

    Thanks anyway.
    What COM port are you using as your outgoing bluetooth/hardware port and which port are you using as the software port? Whatever you set as the software port is the port used in WLS.

    Maybe try re-pairing the device and starting over?
  16. #16  
    It does not work as you describe. When I choose the COM port in WLS that corresponds to the one I set as the software COM port, it gives me the message that the COM is unavailable whether I have set it to COM0, COM6, COM9, etc. Then I choose the hardware COM port (COM8), and it works about 10% of the time.
  17. #17  
    Bummer. It works perfectly for me 100% of the time.
  18. aznspiki's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    #18  
    ..
    Last edited by aznspiki; 02/26/2007 at 01:52 AM.
  19. #19  
    Got iGuidance to work with i-Blue 737 on 700WX using the settings kaiguy used above. Out of the box, iGuidance wouldn't keep a connection to the receiver for more than a few seconds. Downloaded the patch from the iGuidance site, removed original software and reinstalled patched software and now works flawlessly. Patch indicates it addresses a bluetooth connectivity issue with Broadcom bluetooth stack
  20. #20  
    When you set up the outgoing port in Settings, Connections, Bluetooth, do you use secure connection or not?

    Also, under Settings, System, GPS, Access...do you let Windows Mobile Manage GPS automatically?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions