Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    This is a very frustrating and recurring problem I've had since I got my 700Wx. My BT works fine, when it works. The problem is that sometimes it just won't turn on. Major problem for one who relies upon my GPS for business.

Periodically--although too regularly to be acceptable--my bluetooth won't turn on. (It sort of seems to get stuck in an in between state: between being on and being off.) I can try to activate it via PhoneAlarm, via Settings-Connections--Wireless Manager and/or Bluetooth, or via the "logo" line on my today screen. None will work.

The only thing I use my BT for is my wireless GPS. I use iGuidance and/or TomTom6 for my GPS software.

Whenever this happens, I try to restore a known "good" backup made with Sprite or Spb Backup (never more than a day or two old), but the BT issue almost always remains broken.

The only fix is a REAL hard reset and reinstallation of my software. (Lots of software, too, as I rely on a lot of third party apps.)

Here's what the symptoms are: when my Treo gets to this state, the following happens/doesn't happen, when I try to turn on or turn off BT so that I can activate it again:

First, I'll soft reset the device. Second:

a) When I tap the BT icon on my "logo" line, nothing happens. In other words, I don't even get taken to the BT settings page where you have the option of turning BT on, and making it discoverable.

b) When I go into settings-connections-bluetooth, and tap the BT icon, nothing happens. Just like the "logo" icon mentioned above.

c) When I go to settings-connections--wireless manager, and tap on BT Settings (right softkey), nothing happens. (See above.) When I tap bluetooth (which is greyed-out and shows that it's "off"), I'll get the WM spinning wait symbol, which spins endlessly and doesn't do anything.

d) When I use a PhoneAlarm skin (sometimes I turn on the plug-in, sometimes I don't), the BT icon will be glowing blue, but BT isn't really on and isn't working. If I tap it to change this status, it doesn't change the status. Instead I see the WM spinning wait symbol which spins endlessly and doesn't do anything.

So, I'm guessing that some sort of software conflict exists and it's messing with my BT function. Before I do another rebuild of my system, I was wondering if I was the only one who has this problem.

UPDATE: Well, after restoring via Spb Backup with two different backup files, to no avail, I restored via Sprite on my desktop and it seems to be ok again. But, since this problem has happened about 6 times in the last few months, generally requiring a reload of all apps from scratch, I really want to figure this out!

UPDATE2: Same problem came right back. Tried to turn on BT, and it got stuck in the same non-usable "holding pattern." FRUSTRATING!!
    Last edited by xdalaw; 02/08/2007 at 08:40 PM.
    This is definitely a software conflict. I've been having this problem off and on ever since the sms patch came out. I took one treo back to Sprint and they gave me another new one. I had to stop using my GPS (I was using CoPilot) because everytime I had it installed my bluetooth would do the exact same thing. I tried about every combination of apps with my GPS software possible and none have seem to work.

If you want to continue to use the restore, I was able to get this to work by doing a hard reset first and continuing to soft reset until the bluetooth worked again.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Younghen-

Thanks for the response. At least I know I'm not the only one with this issue.

I wonder if we might be able to figure out what piece(s) of software are doing this?

I really can't be without my BT GPS. I've got to figure out some way to fix this reliably and quickly when it happens.

--Andrew
    Last edited by xdalaw; 02/09/2007 at 07:09 AM.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    This looks like a similar issue/thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=131813
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    also look here
    http://ppcgeeks.com/viewtopic.php?t=2377&sid=c6a0af693f8e10e2000ba86a4054ae07
    for additional insight, particularly the 5th post in by jeffH70. Seems Phome Alarm and/or SMS patch/update might be present on most units exhibiting this BT lockup problem
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Thanks for the links willyrick. I was reading through those last night, coincidentally.
    I ended up doing another hard reset and reinstall. This time I left off PhoneAlarm (I generally use the light version) and the threaded SMS app. I did install the Palm SMS patch.
    So far so good--although it's only been a day. If I don't have future probs, I'll have to live without those two apps. Disappointing, but more critical for me to have BT and my GPS working.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    This is friggin' unbelieveable. Broken again. Same issue/type of problem.

No PhoneAlarm. No SMS Threaded App. Only using BT for GPS.

I turned it on a couple of times today, and then started my iGuidance GPS software to make sure it was all working. Worked fine until this last attempt.
    The only "app" I installed that seems to be a common app for others with the problem is the Palm SMS Patch.

Pathetic.

Will try to restore my last backup, but unfortunately, I made it after installing that patch. I just don't have the patience right now to reload it all again.
    And, just prior to this latest time, everything else was working perfectly and was configured just like I like it.
    Last edited by xdalaw; 02/10/2007 at 07:14 PM.
    Yeah the same thing was happening to me. I tried installing each app one by one and then doing a backup. I was only able to install one app usually (ListPro) before the bluetooth would go out. You may want to check out this thread as other people were having the same problem in it.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...dead+sms+patch
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Hi Again, Younghen-

I still can't believe that this problem is so common. (Thanks for that link, too. I remembered that thread, but couldn't find it yesterday when I was looking for it.)

I ended up hard resetting and restoring from my Spb backup from earlier in the day. (The problem is that this backup contains the Palm SMS "fix." I wish I could figure out how to uninstall all parts of that "patch" and restore my registry changes it might have made. At least then I'd have a new backup file with no PhoneAlarm, no threaded SMS app, and no Palm "fix," which might make this less frequent.)

It's working for now, but I know it'll conk out on me soon, when I really need it. I'm just too tired to reinstall everything again right now. I've done that a few times in the last couple of weeks and I'm just sick of reentering all my codes, etc.

Thanks for your help.
    Yeah I wish someone could figure this out too. I've pretty much given up on using my gps unit with my phone for right now. I was hoping for an update from Palm that may fix this issue, but I've been trying for months and it seems that no matter what combination of programs I try, I cannot get CoPilot to play nice with any more than one program at a time with the sms patch installed.

Maybe someone who knows a bit more about developing on the windows mobile platform can tell exactly what the sms patch modifies and can see why it won't work with GPS programs.

Xdalaw, do you happen to have to have SPB Pocket Plus installed on your device. That is one of the programs that I didn't reinstall.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    My BT allowed me to use my GPS for three short trips today. Oh joy! Just wonder how long this will last. A day or two? Perhaps three?

I haven't been using Pocket Plus lately. I use iLauncher and I am using Spb Mobile Shell, as of a few days ago.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Might want to check this thread out, from post 57 on, to see if there's a solution.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=129207&page=3
    I had this happen too.. but after loading the Hannip fix for BT and deleting all my partnerships, than doing them, all including the port setups etc... I have yet to have this happen.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Great to hear TexasDave555! I installed the fix today and so far--albeit only a few hours later--all is well. I'll be testing it out over the next few days with heavy GPS usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by xdalaw View Post
    Great to hear TexasDave555! I installed the fix today and so far--albeit only a few hours later--all is well. I'll be testing it out over the next few days with heavy GPS usage.

Just an update... the only issue so far I have run into after several days with the new partnerships setup etc is if I leave my wx in one room, go outside or somewhere out of range and come back, it does not automatically pick the headset back up. I have to close my boom and re-open it, then it works fine. This isn't that big of a deal for me.. but I thought I would mention it.