Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    With the early announcement today of WM6 and that allegedly devices will ship second quarter 2007, do you think Palm/Cingular will upgrade their most expensive and flagship device?

Interestingly this news comes only 2 weeks after I and lots of others spent lots of money on this "latest" device...

I know, I know... new things come out all the time, but it hasn't been very long that the 750 has been on the shelves... lots of stores aren't even fully stocking them yet.

Comments?

Jon
    Based on the history of WM upgrades to existing devices....I would have to give you a resounding "forget about it".

Edit: What makes the Treo especially more difficult to upgrade is the fact that Palm customized the OS for it. Just another level of complexity and support nightmares for Palm if they should release an upgrade. They will want people to buy new devices. That is the way of mobile devices nowadays.
    Last edited by JGold; 02/08/2007 at 08:43 AM.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    I think the only manufacturer that's ever released an upgrade was Samsung for the Verizon i730 WM2003 to WM5.
    Very informative.
    Given how buggy existing WM5 OS is, and thats AFTER its been out for a year, do you really want to upgrade to a brand new MS OS just for the sake of upgrading?
    actually, XDA devs have been using leaked version of crossbow on their devices, and I got the impression from those threads that WM6 is stable and quick.

Anyway, from the link:

* Email in Rich HTML Format.
    * Live links to SharePoint sites.
    * Windows Live for Mobile included in Windows Mobile 6.
    * New Security features such as remote wiping capabilities if your device is lost or stolen.
    * Enhanced Windows Vista Synchronization through Windows Mobile Device Center.
    * Calendar ribbon gives you your important appoints quickly.
    * Contacts with context – call records now attached to individual contact cards in Windows Mobile 6.
    * .NET Compact Framework and SQL Server built in to Windows Mobile 6.
    Having .net CF2.0 in the ROM is a neat development (finally, I wonder if we'll see a performance improvement for those apps), but overall it's very much like a service pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post

Having .net CF2.0 in the ROM is a neat development (finally, I wonder if we'll see a performance improvement for those apps), but overall it's very much like a service pack.
    Hmm...interesting. A couple of more MB's taken up in ROM space. Perhaps 64mb won't be enough moving forward.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Personal opinion is it will never happen. I'd be happy with some lousy bug fixes (like the miserable bluetooth) let alone a full OS upgrade.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Its replacing .net CF 1, so it should not take up much more space.

Surur
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Why do so many posts on this forum get slammed with negative and pessimistic responses about every new or potential devlopment.

Why is every one so critical of the device and WM if you all love your devices so much?

I'd be thrilled to upgrade to Crossbow. It's not required, so you are free not to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    Given how buggy existing WM5 OS is, and thats AFTER its been out for a year, do you really want to upgrade to a brand new MS OS just for the sake of upgrading?
    Its actually "Windows Mobile 5 AKU 4" to be technical, they just decided to call it wm6. It's not a "new OS" the way wm5 was.

And the ROM is still under 64MB. Like surur said it replaces net cf1, so the space it takes up is replaced by version 2.0.

It's much snappier when going through the menu's than 5 is, thats for sure. Other than that and some cosmetic changes its basically wm5. The other new features I can't use, since I don't use windows live and Marketplace isn't open to the public yet. Definitely worth the upgrade when its available, but I don't see the Treo coming out with it, probably on newer devices towards the end of the year. You never know...
    Quote Originally Posted by zeze22 View Post
    Why do so many posts on this forum get slammed with negative and pessimistic responses about every new or potential devlopment.

Why is every one so critical of the device and WM if you all love your devices so much?

I'd be thrilled to upgrade to Crossbow. It's not required, so you are free not to.
    With the exception of the "buggy" comment, I don't think this thread is negative as opposed to realistic. Some of us have been using Windows Mobile devices for quite some time and have seen how various upgrades have been handled over the years.

I for one, would bet the farm that devices like the Treo and most-likely the 6900 will not be getting any type of upgrade to the level of OEM customization that was put into the respective devices (moreso on the Treo than the 6900).
    Littlepat is correct.

Crossbow and updating is nothing like going from WM2003 to WM5 which involved a new memory architecture. If anything, it will be much, much less buggy than anything preceding it.

This is simply another AKU update with a major facelift so the possibility of an upgrade to any current device is very possible--no different then a regular ROM/AKU update like MOL2 on the Moto Q, the AKU 2.x updates on the 6700, etc. But as also pointed out, Palm heavily customized their WM Treos, working with MS at the engineering level which is a first for MS, so any release of Crossbow on a Treo would be more delayed than some of the other devices (i760, HTC Vox, HTC 6800(?)).

So that's the trade off: Get Crossbow soon on a newer or less customized device, or wait for Palm but reap the benefits of their engineering work. Interestingly, the further MS develops WM5/6 the less tweaks and customizations will be needed (imo).

The Samsung i760 should be the 1st device in the US (on Verizon) sporting Crossbow.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 02/08/2007 at 02:02 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Some are theorizing on the Verizon 700wx thread that the delay is due to crossbow being incorporated on it. I wonder how likely that is and if it would still be called a 700wx?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    Some are theorizing on the Verizon 700wx thread that the delay is due to crossbow being incorporated on it. I wonder how likely that is and if it would still be called a 700wx?
    I'd say there is no evidence for that only b/c Crossbow went RTM very recently so the first devices won't show up till April or May for companies like HTC, who do very little modding of the OS.

If the i760 is already floating around with Crossbow on it, it is most likely being Network Approved as well. It's release date (from Engadget): "We expect this thing to hit Verizon stores before the first half of the year is out".

I'd imagine Palm would need at least a minimum of 3-4 extra months on top of that with their engineers to do their thing...so August, September? Doesn't sound likely.

If the 700wx (I HIGHLY doubt it does) had crossbow Palm would never name it the same name. Crossbow is going to be a major selling point to get people to upgrade.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I'd say there is no evidence for that only b/c Crossbow went RTM very recently so the first devices won't show up till April or May for companies like HTC, who do very little modding of the OS.

If the i760 is already floating around with Crossbow on it, it is most likely being Network Approved as well. It's release date (from Engadget): "We expect this thing to hit Verizon stores before the first half of the year is out".

I'd imagine Palm would need at least a minimum of 3-4 extra months on top of that with their engineers to do their thing...so August, September? Doesn't sound likely.
    That in addition to the fact that any new device (especially with a new version of the OS) would have to go thru exhaustive network testing as required by most US carriers. You guys know how long that could be.
    Than- "Q" Mala...

As far as the VZW wx/crossbow "theory"- no way, no way, no way. Unless the wx is going to be delayed on Verizon for another 3-6 months!

I really hope that it is delayed because of a ROM upgrade, but I would expect noting more than AKU 3 on it. My Hermes just got AKU 3.3, and its still in the "leaked" stage. Probably won't be officially released for another month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Than- "Q" Mala...

One cool thing about Crossbow though: Windows Update

It has this feature built in and I think it updates things that the AKUs used to deliver. I was unsure about the function until this morning.

On Engadget, the posted screenshots from the SP version (aka Standard) and they show the Win Update feature working. Click the link below to see what it can do...this could be huge for Crossbow users.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/windo...ctures/154594/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast