Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can someone explain to me why chattermail can not be made for a WM device? The push email selection for the WM OS are just horrrrrible.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    So MS Push isn't fast enough for you¿you don't like getting your email, contacts, calendar, and tasks isn't something you like. Or, is Blackberry Connect email the problem? Maybe Blackberry email isn't good enough either? What is wrong with Blackberry email?

You'd prefer using chattermail even though Windows Mobile 5 comes with one push email option and can add another? Hmm...maybe you should just go back to the POS Treo. It REQUIRES workarounds like Chattermail.
    Exchange works so well and hosted Exchange services are so cheap I just figure that sooner or later this will take over the world. I happen to have my own Exchange Server but if I didn't I would be renting it by the month. It would DEFINITELY be cheaper than maintaining my own server.

Push email on Exchange is annoyingly fast. There is constant real time updates of calendar, contact, and task list information, so even if I drop my 700wx in the path of a speeding Peterbilt I will still have my data safe and secure.

Too bad it won't do OTA sync of Memos/Notes/Whatever They Call Them.
    To actually ANSWER your question: Marc once said he wouldn't devote time to it. He did not want to take time away from his many Palm OS customers.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    So what happens if the PalmOS just dies and this Linux based vaporware OS never actually makes it out into production units? Hopefully he starts to develop for WM then...
    Marc has said chattermail code is not portable, due to most of it being designed around the quirks of PalmOS. He would basically have to start from scratch, which would take too much resources from his PalmOS work.

Surur
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    To actually ANSWER your question: Marc once said he wouldn't devote time to it. He did not want to take time away from his many Palm OS customers.
    I heard similar talking. I hope for Marc’s sake that his Palm OS programming is just for supplemental income because if not, well, he and a lot of other Palm programmers are gonna be having to learn Windows programming real fast to keep the money flowing. They need to convert because I think it’s obvious by now that the Palm OS is going down quick.

Just my opinion though.

Joe
    Let POS die, WM is here to stay
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I like the Palm OS's user interface. I hope that Palm successfully grafts the UI onto a capable Linux underpinning. Just like Apple migrated itself to OS X.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    I like the Palm OS's user interface. I hope that Palm successfully grafts the UI onto a capable Linux underpinning. Just like Apple migrated itself to OS X.
    One of great things about WM is that you can tailor the OS to be as simple or as complex an interface as you want without breaking the whole OS. Apps like SmallMenu, PocketPlus, iLauncher, and now Mobile Shell make the WM5 OS real easy and convenient to use.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    One of great things about WM is that you can tailor the OS to be as simple or as complex an interface as you want without breaking the whole OS. Apps like SmallMenu, PocketPlus, iLauncher, and now Mobile Shell make the WM5 OS real easy and convenient to use.
    And I'm a huge fan of mobile shell.
    Thanks. I am going to look at those. I justed posted a query in the 700w/wx forum because I want to modify the 700wx's behavior when I push the button with the green phone icon. I want to go straight to dial pad.
    May I just point out that we have serious topic
    drift here and I helped cause the problem
    . Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5 View Post
    So MS Push isn't fast enough for you¿you don't like getting your email, contacts, calendar, and tasks isn't something you like. Or, is Blackberry Connect email the problem? Maybe Blackberry email isn't good enough either? What is wrong with Blackberry email?

You'd prefer using chattermail even though Windows Mobile 5 comes with one push email option and can add another? Hmm...maybe you should just go back to the POS Treo. It REQUIRES workarounds like Chattermail.
    I think that's a bit harsh. Not everyone has or prefers a BES Server or an Exchange Server. Alot of users like myself have IMAP with support for IDLE. I've used Chatter in the past, but when I moved to WM I was in a similar position. I dont feel the need to migrate to an Exchange server, or pay more monthly charges for a hosted exchange solution like mail2web which simply provide a forwarding workaround.

The truth of the matter is Marc wont be developing Chatter for WM, and the selection of IMAP IDLE email clients out there are slim to none. There are only 2 that I know of which are VGSMail and Flexmail 2007. VGSMail is a plugin to the built in pocket outlook, and does notify you instantly. However it lacks alot of features such as HTML, Folder access, and is not being supported anymore. Flexmail is the other option, and it's not really been stable in the past. They have been making a lot of improvements and I believe the next release will provide alot of the functionality you are looking for.
    WebIS FlexMail supports IMAP IDLE PUSH.
    http://www.pocketinformant.com/produ...id=mail&dir=wm

Push Email
    Using IMAP IDLE, FlexMail gets immediate notifications of new messages
    I've used FlexMail. Over all it's a pretty nice email app. I think it's just as good as ChatterMail. I have one major complaint about it (regarding it taking over the today screen outlook mail plug in.) This just means I can't use FlexMail and XPress mail at the same time because XPress mail needs the outlook today plugin (otherwise I go without.) Otherwise I really like it.

Give it a shot!

An included feature of the iPhone is going to be free Yahoo IMAP IDLE Push. So later this year Yahoo should have IMAP IDLE push available, so it'll be nice to be able to use it
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    The posts in their forum make it sound awfully unstable and buggy...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Here's a good thread I participated in months ago addressing the pros and cons of Flexmail:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=122682
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    As I have both corporate (on Exchange) and personal (on IMAP IDLE) emails to check, Chatter is an excellent solution for me as I'm using a 700p. WM Outlook can only handle one Exchange account so I can't just switch my personal email provider to Exchange. Any posters run into the same issue?

Also, I'd like to know the incoming email alert options. Chatter can be customized down to the mailbox level the types of alerts (such as pop-up, tone, vibrate, and LED, even the number of vibrations). For example, I use a different tone and number of vibrations for my corporate and personal incoming email which helps me determine if I need to jump right on it when I'm alerted. How about WM Outlook? I wasn't able to find a good answer from MS and Palm's documentation.

These two things are two big reasons why I'm sticking with 700p for now. It would be great if there are workarounds in WM as I'm intrigued in the WM platform. Thanks.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Profimail

http://www.lonelycatgames.com/?app=profimail

works on symbian and WM5 (PPC and SM)
    I am a real estate wholesaler, let me know how I can help you!!!
    We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight!!!
    Woody Properties, LLC
    From my understanding Profimail doesnt support IMAP IDLE so thats really not an option.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast