Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    fxhobo,

The market for such an app is pretty large and if you did it right, you'd have a huge success.

My advice: contact the developer of VGSMail (if you can, though he should respond: support@vgsmail.com. His name is Dr.Geoff Cross or try here) and offer to buy/license his IMAP/Idle transport. It's very good, probably one of the best out there. Much better than Flexmail's.

Build off of that then add things like HTML mail, easy navigation, etc. Setup a forum and do the Marc approach to development e.g. have a large presence in the community, listen to requests, etc.

Either keep it simple or have two versions: one regular, one pro. Make the pro one with all the bells and whistles that business types need/want and keep the regular simple and streamlined e.g. basic push email with HTML and attachment support.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Well I'd settle for a plug-in or something for the today page that aggregates messages from the underlying Outlook app and displays them in a similar fashion as Chatter summary. Wouldn't that be an easier row to hoe than building a new email app from the ground up? As far as Marc giving, licensing, whatever his source for you to port...don't bet on it. I don't think he'll want the headache of supporting you in your efforts to port...if he did, he'd just do it himself. Just a hunch.

The screen shots provided for WM6 has done nothing to convince me it will be as easy to use as Chatter - easier than WM5 perhaps, but thats not saying much. I hope you guys can come up with something. I remain strongly interested in WM6 but since the reason I use a Treo breaks down to something like 60% email, 30% phone, 10% GPS but the email interface is still just too clumbsy for me to be bothered with the switch.
    Marc has actually posted in the past that he was looking for development partners. The summary view is nice, but not algorithmically complex, so I really do not understand why Marc doesnt port his touch to another platform.

Surur
    So when is WM6 coming out?
    Quote Originally Posted by fxhobo View Post
    I have a programmer, myself and time to write the Chattermail port, I don't know if Marc will work with me on using the Chattermail name, but I too have gone to WM5 and miss chattermail - I've even been putting my chip back in the 650 to use Chattermail.

My programmer believes he can make this happen, but we need a solid business plan. If only 100 people want it, we can't get it done, I figure we need a critical mass of 1,000. 2,000 to eventually break even.

Send an email if you want in to deximail@redhotfish.com

Maybe I should post a survey to see how many people would want in.

Thanks all.

Paul
    Don't waste the time, it won't be successful, Marc is right, there is no market for IDLE in PPC world. When I transferred from treo 650 to HTC 8125, I missed chatteremail so much. But after I tried mail2web, I found the pushing from exchange server is much more faster, stabler and elegant than chatteremail. I don't have to pay $40, but get much better service (I also get the calendar, contacts and tasks online free too, which saves me tons of time during testing wm6). I don't miss IDLE at all.

The exchange server will be everywhere soon, everybody will get push free quickly.

Also I like the pocket inbox very much. The interface is years ahead of chatteremail. The operation of chatteremail is nice though, thanks to the instant keyboard. I guess inbox in treo 750 should have the same experience as chattereamil, regarding to the one hand operation.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    "I guess inbox in treo 750 should have the same experience as chattereamil, regarding to the one hand operation."

Exactly. If I had this one-handed feature I would make the leap in an instant. I think I will order a 750 and hope for the best. Worst case my wife will have a new toy to use if I don't like it.
    So I have an Exchange account already with 1and1.com - what does mail2web buy me that I don't already get with 1and1?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil View Post
    Highlight the message, press the right soft key and hit delete.
    You can also press and hold the center button. I menu will pop up. and delete is at the top and highlighted. Then press center again. So, it's one long click, and one short click.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcalloway View Post
    You can also press and hold the center button. I menu will pop up. and delete is at the top and highlighted. Then press center again. So, it's one long click, and one short click.

In wm6, the left softkey is changed to "Delete" noww, so if you unchecked the "confirm before delete", it is only one click, not click and hold.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    so - no longer is the left soft key 'reply', when looking at the open message? hmm - guess that will take some getting used to....
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    so - no longer is the left soft key 'reply', when looking at the open message? hmm - guess that will take some getting used to....
    No, its still Reply, but the D for delete shortcut key still works.

Surur
    Whether there is a market for IDLE IMAP in WM or not, I think it would be wise for any developer to diversify their product porfolio away from the decrepit and aging palmos/garnetos or whatever its called platform for future viability. I own a 700p and I personally will NEVER again buy a garnetos based device based on the current incarnation of the platform without some significant updates to the core os. Its jsut tooo damned old and there are jsut too many sexy and interesting platforms out there now...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
    Don't waste the time, it won't be successful, Marc is right, there is no market for IDLE in PPC world. When I transferred from treo 650 to HTC 8125, I missed chatteremail so much. But after I tried mail2web, I found the pushing from exchange server is much more faster, stabler and elegant than chatteremail.
    Hmm ive had the exact opposite experience. All the push email services are much slower than fastmail with imap idle. mail2web is getting canceled for that reason. 4smartphone is faster, but hiccups from time to time. Therefore I would love a chattermail clone with imap support.
    "...mail2web is getting canceled for that reason"

Do you mean you are cancelling or the service offering is being terminated by the company that host the service?

It sounds like you've tried both - can you tell me how mail2web's interface compares to the chatter summary UI? I cannot find screenshots of the email interface (or at least one with multiple email accounts).
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    "...mail2web is getting canceled for that reason"

Do you mean you are cancelling or the service offering is being terminated by the company that host the service?

It sounds like you've tried both - can you tell me how mail2web's interface compares to the chatter summary UI? I cannot find screenshots of the email interface (or at least one with multiple email accounts).
    I am cancelling their service. As far as I can tell you can really use only one exchange server. I link mine to my gmail acct, and also forward my comcast acct., but if I reply , it will have the reply address of my gmail account.
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    So I have an Exchange account already with 1and1.com - what does mail2web buy me that I don't already get with 1and1?
    Nothing. I used to use 1and1 Exchange push on my device all the time. It works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
    I am cancelling their service. As far as I can tell you can really use only one exchange server. I link mine to my gmail acct, and also forward my comcast acct., but if I reply , it will have the reply address of my gmail account.
    Even with the paid account?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Even with the paid account?
    Yes. with their unpaid service, you cannot even send with return address of gmail.
    Seems Microsoft who never does anything on time now is releasing WM6 soon, with HTML mail for Outlook and more integration of PUSH it looks like.

How does that effect with everyone?

Secondly, we are trying to estimate when we could start to release this and it may be as long as 9 months rough average for post-beta product.

Question is with the market moving so fast in 9 months will the market still exist?

I know that personally I dumped Snappermail (59.95 down the drain) for Chattermail and don't regret it at all. I've tried Flexmail but really don't like it and it seems more targeted for non-Treo devices.

Does anyone know how many WM Treos have been sold ? I know they sold 600k units in Q4 2004, but can't find anything later than that and nothing with WM units (probably will have in Q1 release in April).

Thanks.
    Paul
    Is that 600k YTD or in Q4 alone? I wonder if they sell 2MM Treo 750s annually? That would be an interesting number. Frankly I never thought the TAM (total available market) would be that big for a ported Chatter. Toss in HTCs and the swarm of other WM5/6 phones and maybe the TAM is large enough for this to be worthwhile. Of course we have to realize that those of us willing to buy a third-party email app are likely in a very small minority - somewhere south of 5% of the TAM I'm sure. But if the numbers are true then its more interesting than I first thought.....I'm skeptical about those sales numbers though.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast