Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Sorry for being harsh, maybe a little sarcastic, with my questions. It just seems like there are a number of good push email options, some of which I didn't mention though others did, for Windows Mobile 5. You can use Exchange Push, Blackberry Connect, VgsMail, and I have heard of one or two others. For Palm you may have MS push on certain devices, definitely none I have used yet, Chattermail (requiring using Fastmail or some other provider for email as well as paying for an expensive program), and maybe Blackberry connect (but not on most POS devices).

In fact, while Windows Mobile has a push email option right out of the box, Palm devices have none. I am not trying to bash or play rough but I am not seeing the supposed push email deficiency in WM in comparison to Palm OS.
    Well I'd love to make the jump to WM5 but there simply is NO email apps as robust as Chatter for the platform. I don't give a damn what platform the app runs on - but the email app needs to handle my 5 emails accounts and all with one-handed operation. WM5 falls well short of this and while Flexmail promises lots its still not even close to Chatter in both stability and functionality.

Now if you have only one email account I suppose WM5 may be just fine and if it works for you, great. But if you want easy one-handed control, with a beautiful summary page, push, and loads of other features all designed from the ground up to make controlling your email easy then Chatter is just so far ahead of anything I've seen on WM5 to date its truly not even close.
    ok I'm no email expert (although I did work at Sendmail for abt 6 months) BUT - I have to believe the quantity of folks out there using Exchange VASTLY outnumber anyone using an Imap server with Idle support. I mean by an order of magnitude. Huge. So - although Chatter might be great for you Palm OS IMAP users, your days are numbered folks. Say hello to reality. Exchange is winning & has already won, in the big scheme of business users. Yes pop and imap have their place, but I see the email market (and by extension the mobile email market) ending up in two spectrums:

Corporate users with Exchange (and MS Direct Push)
    and
    Personal users with Yahoo or Gmail whatever.

yes people will cross over and have both (as do I) but IMAP idle? dying a slow death, for the masses. The 25 folks on this forum who use it wouls claim otherwise, but check back in a year - Exchange will have become even more dominant. I'm tellin' ya....
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Folks, I am not trying to compare Exchange and IMAP IDLE. As I stated my setup (which I believe there are people who share the same) requires both Exchange (corporate) and IMAP (personal) emails to push, which now Chatter can handle but I don't see WM5 can. So to me it's a step down if I move from PalmOS to WM5 using Outlook. I'd be glad if someone can help shed light on this setup.

Thanks.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
  5.    #25  
    I downloaded mail2web today and I am now using it as a exchange server. So far it works GREAT. Just got to get the word out about the new email address. Thanks to all!
    This is about the user experience for me. I don't really care about IMAP vs. Exchange as long as they both work the same - its one protocol vs. another and if all things are equal (or when they are) I don't care how the bits fly through the air and show up on my phone. Again, I want the same user experience Chatter provides me on POS but on WM5/6. That won't happen anytime soon as Marc has made it clear he will never port it.

So for all of you that insist on making this a "Exchange rules, IMAP drools...therefore, POS must drool and WM5 must rule" thread that is not what I care about and you're dodging the user experience on WM5 vs. Chatter on POS. Now if someone can tell me where I can find an email app that gives me the following mandatory features I will jump ship tomorrow on POS and IMAP.

1. Summary page that is color coded for each of my 5 email boxes. Also, hot keys to quickly delete, forward, reply to any email on the summary page....all with one hand.
    2. Reliable push....again, I don't care if its IMAP or Exchange. I just don't want to have to poll to retrieve my email.
    3. Separate SMTP profiles. I often reply to an email from one account but want it to be sent thorugh a different SMTP server. Chatter lets me do this easily.
    I've only ever seen Exchange in a corporate environment, not for personal IMAP Push email!? How do you guys use Exchange just for your personal Push email. Xpressmail is SUCH a POS! Thanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    I've only ever seen Exchange in a corporate environment, not for personal IMAP Push email!? How do you guys use Exchange just for your personal Push email. Xpressmail is SUCH a POS! Thanks...
    Crunch my friend! Go sign up for a FREE exchange push account at mail2web.com, then forward you email to that address. Unfortunately you can only send mail from that address unless you also use flexmail.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Crunch my friend! Go sign up for a FREE exchange push account at mail2web.com, then forward you email to that address. Unfortunately you can only send mail from that address unless you also use flexmail.
    Thanks taylorh...I've seen the mail2web suggestion before. I'll check it out. Any word on the manual network selection hack?

P.S. Let me know if you get up one morning and don't feel like paying your Cingular bill. I get that feeling every so often.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post

Just to expand a little bit on what was already posted here. When Microsoft released Exchange 2003 they added the ability for the server to be in a "Hosted" environment. This has created several new Hosted Exchange partners that sell Exchange services. Do you, it is just like you have your own Exchange server without paying for the server, hardware, setup and maintenance. You have the ability to synch email, calendar, contacts and tasks while all of the data sits up on the server. This adds some really nice options.

Take your Treo and throw it in a lake, get a new one from Cingular, put in your Exchange settings and you will download everything to your device from the server (I have actually done it when I jumped in the lake with my Treo in my pocket!)

4smartphone.net and mail2web are both examples of Hosted partners and here is a URL with a bunch more infomation on Hosted Exchange...

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/se.../services.mspx
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil View Post
    Just to expand a little bit on what was already posted here. When Microsoft released Exchange 2003 they added the ability for the server to be in a "Hosted" environment. This has created several new Hosted Exchange partners that sell Exchange services. Do you, it is just like you have your own Exchange server without paying for the server, hardware, setup and maintenance. You have the ability to synch email, calendar, contacts and tasks while all of the data sits up on the server. This adds some really nice options.

Take your Treo and throw it in a lake, get a new one from Cingular, put in your Exchange settings and you will download everything to your device from the server (I have actually done it when I jumped in the lake with my Treo in my pocket!)

4smartphone.net and mail2web are both examples of Hosted partners and here is a URL with a bunch more infomation on Hosted Exchange...

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/se.../services.mspx
    Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. This was a good read. The link on Microsoft's site and your own explanation! I never really bothered looking at these hosted Exchange servers as I had always had Chatter to rely on. Awesome and kudos to you!

EDIT: Alright, mail2web looks solid. So why do I have to forward my mail there. I was easily able to retrieve it from within their website. When I set up my Outlook account, how do I enable the "Push"? Also, there are some "mobility" plans for $9.95/mo. Do I have to pay for this every month??? Thanks again...
    Last edited by CrunchDude; 02/09/2007 at 06:01 AM.
    OK so nobody seems to want to discuss the user experience - I'll make my questions a bit easier:

Can someone tell me how many steps are involved in deleting an email message from my inbox on a WM5 phone?

Then can you tell me how many steps are involved in replying to an email and copying a new person onto the reply then sending the message in a WM5 phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    OK so nobody seems to want to discuss the user experience - I'll make my questions a bit easier:

Can someone tell me how many steps are involved in deleting an email message from my inbox on a WM5 phone?

Then can you tell me how many steps are involved in replying to an email and copying a new person onto the reply then sending the message in a WM5 phone?

Highlight the message, press the right soft key and hit delete.

In WM6, with the new shortcut keys, holding in D will delete an e-mail for you, and holding in R will reply an e-mail, at which point you can add anyone to the sent to: list.

So for the first one one, and the second one two, as one would expect.

Surur
    Oh we're accepting vaporware here for comparisons, cool. Well Chatter3D will display your emails using holographic images that can be easily shuffled in mid-air with your hands ala Tom Cruise in Minority Report.

If and when WM6 arrives on a Treo I hope you are correct as that will be a good start. Then again, if the Flexmail author ever gets over himself and actually ships something reliable along the lines of what has been promised I may still jump to WM5. Again, its not religion to me as far as the OS or the protocol used - its all about the user experience. And sadly, your reponse using WM6 as a potentially better user experience pretty much tells me email on WM5 as clumbsy as it was when I tried it on an 8525.
    Oh we're accepting vaporware here for comparisons, cool.
    Sorry, thats the only WM OS I have in front of my now. Its been running pretty nicely for a few weeks. I understand there's a Hermes ROM floating around also...

Surur
    Really? Wow, you have WM6 running on a Treo 750? So I was looking at screen shots of WM6 on Engadget http://www.engadget.com/photos/windo...-professional/ and I cannot find one shot of the email interface. Can you post some screen shots for us all so we can see this new email interface you are referring to?
    Really? Wow, you have WM6 running on a Treo 750? So I was looking at screen shots of WM6 on Engadget http://www.engadget.com/photos/windo...-professional/ and I cannot find one shot of the email interface. Can you post some screen shots for us all so we can see this new email interface you are referring to?
    Surur is not running it on a 750 but a Universal (I believe?).

Here are some email app shots of Crossbow:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/imag.../target13.html

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/imag.../target12.html

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/imag.../target11.html

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/imag.../target19.html

Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Yesterday 08:27 PM
    Not true. For $1.99 a month you can use Mail2web's "SMTP Proxy" which allows you to specify any return email address via their settings web interface e.g. all my gmail is forwarded to mail2web and when I send it looks like it is coming from the same gmail account.

You can only specify one return address.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Yes, I'm using a HTC Universal, and WM6 is better than WM5 (which is good, because it better be).

Surur
    I have a programmer, myself and time to write the Chattermail port, I don't know if Marc will work with me on using the Chattermail name, but I too have gone to WM5 and miss chattermail - I've even been putting my chip back in the 650 to use Chattermail.

Looks like at this point I'll have to use another name, but I want to make this a one handed email application. Flexmail well isn't good, I think we all long for the simplicity and elegance of Chatter.

I have setup an email just to receive yes/no on the email - figure I'll offer an initial founder's club to kick off the project. I am just trying to insure that our investment will get paid back. We will certainly try to be responsive to this as Marc is. I do hope I can team with him at least to pick his brain and use his 'feel and look'.

If you think you'd like to be in on this founder's group, we will offer the software at the same $39.95 and unlimited lifetime upgrades sort of like MusicMatch did when they started. I think this is the best way to get this started. We could even do it as a 50/50 deposit, though it would be nice to have known sales while developing. All founders would be included in our beta testing phase and in alpha if they desire. Also if you have a window of opportunity (e.g. if it ain't finished by May 1 don't bother) let me know.

My programmer believes he can make this happen, but we need a solid business plan. If only 100 people want it, we can't get it done, I figure we need a critical mass of 1,000. 2,000 to eventually break even.

Send an email if you want in to deximail@redhotfish.com

Maybe I should post a survey to see how many people would want in.

Thanks all.

Paul
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast