Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Yeah, there's a little branding on the exterior of the phone and the software can probably be "unbranded" if / when Palm releases a ROM update for the upcoming unlocked 750.

I'd still take the Cingular branded one for $149.99 vs. the unlocked for $649.
    Have fun with the 2 year contract and data requirement.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #23  
    2 year contract is fine. You start with some contract with any carrier you go with. I'd rather be w/ Cing. than T-Mo and the CDMA carriers suck if you're a gadget freak.

I've switched my data to the $19.99 MediaMax plan. So the data requirement isn't really an issue.
    I'm no longer on any contract with any carrier due to buying my own unlocked phones. I feel so free!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'm no longer on any contract with any carrier due to buying my own unlocked phones. I feel so free!
    Yes, in the US, you're free to switch to Cingular, and that's it.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    This is an ongoing debate about Phone Carrier Ambiguity... Been there, done that.
    Everyone is free to pay more for an unlocked phone and still signup with Cingular. Phone Diva can pay a few hundred more for his freedom to use Cingular, and I will pay a few hundred less for my freedom to use cingular!

We have a lot of choices - A LOT. If you dont like cingular, switch, if you want an unlocked Treo 750 buy one unlocked. Cingular has VERY minimal branding on this phone and very little changes to the OS if any (I dont think they have done ANYTHING to the OS at all in the Treo 750.)

Pay a premium for your unlocked Phone, then signup for cingular without a contract, stay with them until your Treo breaks and by another phone unlocked.
    OR You can signup with T-Mobile, not have a data plan (Since GPRS Data is so slow you may as well not have it at all), and stay with them until your Treo 750 breaks.
    OR You can purchase the Treo 750 From Cingular or Palm, Save a few hundred $$ and when it breaks or you decide to upgrade do so.

You see no matter what, the phone carrier gets there money - no matter who you choose. My Phone bills havent changed in 10 years, but I can tell you I get MUCh better service with a TON more features now then I did for the same $$ 5 years ago. Im happy with that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstink View Post
    This is an ongoing debate about Phone Carrier Ambiguity... Been there, done that.
    Everyone is free to pay more for an unlocked phone and still signup with Cingular. Phone Diva can pay a few hundred more for his freedom to use Cingular, and I will pay a few hundred less for my freedom to use cingular!

We have a lot of choices - A LOT. If you dont like cingular, switch, if you want an unlocked Treo 750 buy one unlocked. Cingular has VERY minimal branding on this phone and very little changes to the OS if any (I dont think they have done ANYTHING to the OS at all in the Treo 750.)

Pay a premium for your unlocked Phone, then signup for cingular without a contract, stay with them until your Treo breaks and by another phone unlocked.
    OR You can signup with T-Mobile, not have a data plan (Since GPRS Data is so slow you may as well not have it at all), and stay with them until your Treo 750 breaks.
    OR You can purchase the Treo 750 From Cingular or Palm, Save a few hundred $$ and when it breaks or you decide to upgrade do so.

You see no matter what, the phone carrier gets there money - no matter who you choose. My Phone bills havent changed in 10 years, but I can tell you I get MUCh better service with a TON more features now then I did for the same $$ 5 years ago. Im happy with that!

Just a side note.... how about the companies that will be purchasing unlocked phones just for traveling We will purchase 4-6 Unlocked 750s for use overseas. Our domestic carrier is verizon and are happy with the 700p over here

although a little piece of me is "antenna free" jealous
    Quote Originally Posted by grundler View Post
    perhaps you missed the part about it being more than a sim lock (which cingular will provide--though it took me quite a lot of doing to get it for my now broken 650). cingular actually changes the features of phone, puts their own stuff on the rom, and that stuff doesn't disappear when you unlock the sim network.
    What features has Cingular changed, crippled, or modified on the Treo 750 from what you would expect to be on the Unlocked version?
    All I can think of is:
    1) Cingular Ring tone added
    2) Cingular splash screen
    3) Stub links to download Xpress Mail and Goodlink (actual apps not pre installed.)
    4) Cingular logo on the front and back of the phone.

Things that customize to Cingular only if you put a cingular SIM in (shouldn't happen when puting a T-Mobile SIM in):
    1) Default home page is Media Net, and configures IE to use the Media net proxy (this may also happen on the unlocked version if you put in a Cingular SIM.)

So while you have a very valid point, that the unlocked will be free of these customizations. My point is that the 750's customizations are very minimal. This was also the case with the Treo 650 and 600.
    Have fun with the 2 year contract and data requirement.
    You are not required to buy a data plan period.
    A data plan is required if you want the $100 rebate. And you can remove that data plan at any time (after you get the rebate.) I also got $100 instantly off for adding the data plan when I called telesales, which I was able to remove 5 minutes after I made the purchase.

I don't really understand this argument against paying full price for a phone to avoid a 2 year contract.
    All a contract is, is a $175 penalty you have to pay the carrier when you leave. You're free to leave at any time if you pay up $175. So I feel totally free too.
    In most cases (like mine) the amount of money I saved on the phone is far more than $175. So even if I had to pay the EFT, I'd still have paid less or at most the same as buying the phone without contract.

You can get a Treo 750 from Cingular without contract and pay full price with no commitment if you wanted to. It's still branded and locked (you can get the unlock code for free in most cases.) But if I were doing this it makes sense just to pay $100 and just get the unlocked unbranded if you want.

I bought my Treo 600 and 650's unlocked/full price ($700 each.) The only reason I did that was because I wasn't eligable for a carrier subsidized discount and the Cingular versions were only $100 less (locked at $600) It made sense to pay more to get the unlocked/unbranded if I were paying full price.
    I intentionally waited for Cingular to start selling the 750 so I could get it cheaper. I paid $260 after mail in rebates vs. $700 for an unlocked/unbranded. It's a no brainer even if I were to pay $175 to exit my contract early (which I won't be doing.)

Lastly. Cingular has a 30 day return policy that Palm doesn't have. I'm not sure about the warantee coverage though.
    Last edited by taylorh; 02/07/2007 at 01:56 PM.
    I dont have any cingular ring tone nor do I have a cingular splash screen on my Treo 750, never did - or maybe since I do a hard reset when I get a new device, its gone.
    Only thing that shows this is cingular is on the front corner of the device. Also, that can be removed with rubbing alcohol if you wish. Hack a day has a HOW TO if you need help. Its some kind of paint printed on, not etched in...
    Quote Originally Posted by convbcuda View Post
    Yes, in the US, you're free to switch to Cingular, and that's it.
    I have phones on T-Mobile. And others on Cingular. I have 6 lines. I don't only use the 750.

We are not talking about all your phones, we are speaking about Treo 750 (THIS IS THE FORUM FOR THAT). I (MY Business) have 22 Phones on Cingular and 4 Phones on Verizon. Both carriers are very good, But you can see by the numbers, we like Cingular and the devices on cingular much more. ROLL OVER MINUTES!
    Last edited by Interstink; 02/07/2007 at 02:12 PM.
    Everyone is free to pay more for an unlocked phone and still signup with Cingular. Phone Diva can pay a few hundred more for hisHIS????freedom to use Cingular, and I will pay a few hundred less for my freedom to use cingular!

We have a lot of choices - A LOT. If you dont like cingular, switch, if you want an unlocked Treo 750 buy one unlocked. Cingular has VERY minimal branding on this phone and very little changes to the OS if any (I dont think they have done ANYTHING to the OS at all in the Treo 750.) Big Jack splat seems to appear on all their WM5 phones. Maybe this one escaped that.

Pay a premium for your unlocked Phone, then signup for cingular without a contract, stay with them until your Treo breaks and by another phone unlocked. Travel and not have to beg for unlock code for your own phone.
    OR You can signup with T-Mobile, not have a data plan (Since GPRS Data is so slow you may as well not have it at all), and stay with them until your Treo 750 breaks. I have phones that work on EDGE just fine. Obviously I won't use the 750 on T-Mobile.
    OR You can purchase the Treo 750 From Cingular or Palm, Save a few hundred $$ and when it breaks or you decide to upgrade do so. Sign your life over to Cingular for 2 years. My life is already signed over on home phone service and DSL. They already told us now they will be raising our phones rates here in the Midwest. Thanks ATT.

My thoughts in red.

You don't sign your life over. All it is is a promise to pay back $175 (2 year contract) or $75 (1 year contract) in discounts that they gave you when you got the phone.
    Begging for an unlock code and is worth $100+ to me.
    And you really hate the jack splat that much that you'll pay extra to avoid it?

Each to thier own. And I fully support someone's choice to go with the unlocked. Having the choice to get an unlocked phone is one of the very reason I'm on GSM/UMTS, and I've bought unlocked phones myself in the past. But I just don't follow your reasoning.
    But if you have money to burn and patience to wait, it's worth the piece of mind that you got unlocked outright with no hassle from the carrier.

Other phones (samsung and Nokia flip phones for example) on Cingular are highly/extremely customized and sometimes crippled. It make a huge amount of sense to go unlocked for these reasons expecially considering the already relatively low price of the phones.
    But the Treo 750 is so expensive and so lightly customized, it seems beneficial to save the money.
    Lastly, you can always flash the Cingular 750 with the palm unlocked ROM when the unlocked model becomes available should you find the need or desire (Heck, I might.) I'm sure it'll be at xda-developers.com before you know it.
    Phone Diva - I AGREE AT&T TELCO STINKS - BUT the cell network is GREAT! The DSL Service is the worst I have ever tried.

I dont feel im signing over my life to Cingular for 2 years, in fact I have had service with them for 5 years now and that flew by. I will always have a cell phone, and I hope my Treo 750 lasts 2 years. There are always ways out of any contract, and the price they charge is still LESS then the difference you pay for the unlocked version of the Treo 750. My "Locked" version of the 750 was $299.00 w/rebates, which cingular was happy to unlock for me with a simple phone call. They know they have me paying for service, no reason not to unlock it. Just called them - since I am traveling to the UK next month, they were happy to do it. Also gave me local carriers in the UK that offer pay as you go GSM service or prepaid sims.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    You don't sign your life over. All it is is a promise to pay back $175 (2 year contract) or $75 (1 year contract) in discounts that they gave you when you got the phone.
    Begging for an unlock code and is worth $100+ to me.
    And you really hate the jack splat that much that you'll pay extra to avoid it?

Each to thier own. And I fully support someone's choice to go with the unlocked. Having the choice to get an unlocked phone is one of the very reason I'm on GSM/UMTS, and I've bought unlocked phones myself in the past. But I just don't follow your reasoning.
    But if you have money to burn and patience to wait, it's worth the piece of mind that you got unlocked outright with no hassle from the carrier.

Other phones (samsung and Nokia flip phones for example) on Cingular are highly/extremely customized and sometimes crippled. It make a huge amount of sense to go unlocked for these reasons expecially considering the already relatively low price of the phones.
    But the Treo 750 is so expensive and so lightly customized, it seems beneficial to save the money.
    Lastly, you can always flash the Cingular 750 with the palm unlocked ROM when the unlocked model becomes available should you find the need or desire (Heck, I might.) I'm sure it'll be at xda-developers.com before you know it.
    I can't wait until the Palm unlocked ROM appears!

You don't understand my reasons because you don't mind letting the carrier dictate terms just so you can get a cheaper phone. That's how much of American cell consumers are. The cheaper phone matters so much, the carrier gets more control. Did you know in some places the Cingular stores are refusing to sell 8525 without a contract? They won't even accept the no-contract price, they want all that back-end money from a contract!

That's also one reason why the US often gets sucky phones while Europe and Asia get cream of the crop phones. We have given too much control to the carriers just for cheaper phones.

P.S. I also will not give any carrier any more money for their locked phones hot-wired to their services. *cough*Media Net button and/or home page seems to be hot-wired into every decent Cingular phone. Now they hot-wired Cingular music and video on some phones. *cough*
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 02/07/2007 at 02:50 PM.

Phone Diva - I AGREE AT&T TELCO STINKS - BUT the cell network is GREAT! The DSL Service is the worst I have ever tried.

I dont feel im signing over my life to Cingular for 2 years, in fact I have had service with them for 5 years now and that flew by. I will always have a cell phone, and I hope my Treo 750 lasts 2 years. There are always ways out of any contract, and the price they charge is still LESS then the difference you pay for the unlocked version of the Treo 750. My "Locked" version of the 750 was $299.00 w/rebates, which cingular was happy to unlock for me with a simple phone call. They know they have me paying for service, no reason not to unlock it. Just called them - since I am traveling to the UK next month, they were happy to do it. Also gave me local carriers in the UK that offer pay as you go GSM service or prepaid sims.
    You have lots of lines with them. They seem to unlock for business customers who have large plans. I've seen posts where others(probably home consumers) had to beg for the code more than once. This was with the 650, though. Maybe they got "nicer" after that ruling that they can't stop you from unlocking your phone.

I used to believe in the getting unlockd phones as I have done so in the past. However, when you sign up with a carrier, you still have to sign a contract even if you provide your own GSM phone do you not? so the only main advantage of getting an unlocked phone is that you don't have to get 2 years of commitment.

I don't travel outside of US, I already have a voice plan with Nextel, and Cingular is the ONLY GSM carrier with 3G services in the northeast that allows you to have a data only plan. Its nice not to have carrier logo on the device, but thats all they are, logos. No matter if they set the home page to theirs, it doesn't affect the usability of the actual device. I can do the exact same thing with my cingular 750 as someone with an unlocked one. The only benefit of an unlocked phone is if you travel often outside of US.
    I have no-commitment agreements. I also travel.

I might have stayed with Verizon otherwise, since our GSM system is still a bit lacking. But due to travel, and also better phones, I'm on GSM.

P.S. I also hate branding and hot-wiring, it's a personal thing I guess.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 02/07/2007 at 04:00 PM.

Let me just say this. I do have a lot of lines and have no doubt Me and my employees get treated very good because of that fact. On the other hand, I have split my account off my business account so I could do a family talk plan, so when I call cingular, all they see is me and my wifes account/phones. Cingular has been great to me in many ways, I cant say the same for Verizon or Nextel(Sprint).
    If this was a different forum - Boy do I have a story about RCN for you guys... Still battling RCN and there "Legal Team" - but looks like we won as of today! Us techies have our ways of getting internal documents

Maybe I will post an off topic thread about RCN and business practices...Horrific!
  20.    #40  
    I have no-commitment agreements. I also travel.

I might have stayed with Verizon otherwise, since our GSM system is still a bit lacking. But due to travel, and also better phones, I'm on GSM.

P.S. I also hate branding and hot-wiring, it's a personal thing I guess.
    Yes you have no-commitment agreements, but you started off with a contract right? I haven't heard of someone getting a regular, full-featured plan without having to sign a contract. So for someone like me who's new to the carrier, rather than paying a high price for a phone, I'd rather pay a lower price to get the subsidized version. When I'm tired of the phone or I'm out of commitment, then I'll buy an unlocked, unbranded phone.

It's true that most Americans would rather have the cheap phone rather than paying up the nose for a new, uber-deluxe superphone, but there's logic to that. I mean, there's a limit to how much one can spend on a phone and still be considered sane. The money I saved from getting the subsidized version of the phone will go towards something else I want or maybe put aside to use to pay my monthly bill.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast