Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg View Post
    For those who do not have square screens there are drop down menus for the two soft keys on the today setting's tab where you can specify the two soft keys to be whatever you want. This is also where you can set it to show appointments on the now screen.
    The word "disable" implies that Spb purposely omitted features. Methinks that the app just isn't fully square screen compatible, which is a bug as far as I am concerned. There's no reason whatsoever why the two drop-downs shouldn't be displayed.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quick questions, and I may have overlooked it.

1. How do you delete cities on the time/alarms tab?

2. I want to put an icon for soft reset on the smart launcher tab. I have soft reset a couple of times, but the icon won't show up for me to pin it. Any other way through settings to do this?
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeno View Post
    I'd love to give this a shot, but I am having problems finding out how to upgrade my existing versions of Weather and Pocket + since I bought them awhile ago for my 6700. It's not very easy to find on the site for some reason... anybody shed any light? Or do I have to buy them all over again to work with Mobile Shell?
    Spb makes it very easy to update your programs. You simply re-download them off the site and install it to your PocketPC. Performs an in-place upgrade and you don't need the key again (if installing from the same PC).

I believe in general if the first number in the version has not changed you do not need to pay to upgrade (ex 1.1 to 1.2 is fine, but 1.1 to 2.0 would not be).
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I think many are being way too hard on this program. Several things to keep in mind:

(1) This is an amazingly solid v1.0 app. It is incredibly ambitious and packs a lot of functionality. I have not found any bugs in my several days of use. If feels like many of you feel that they should have had every possible feature ready to go and complete compatibility with all other PocketPC addons right from the get-go. This seems pretty unrealistic to me... that is the great thing about Spb, you can count on them continuing to work on it, update features, improve compatibility, and squash any bugs that are found at a rapid pace. I have seen this with every other product I have purchased from them and that's quite a few!

(2) It sure feels like one of their design goals with this software was to keep it simple for people to use. Feels like many of the finer tweaks (like exact placement of shortcuts and customization of where things go on the Now screen) have been purposely left out to make it more approachable to most users. It will be interesting to see if they add their usual infinite customizeability to this app or if they try to keep it as easy to use as possible.

(3) They obviously don't intend for this to compete directly with their other products. They don't want you to be able to use this instead of Pocket Plus, Weather, Time, etc... they want this to come with a "taster" of the apps built-in and then if you install the other full app you get the more in-depth features. This seems like a nice compromize given the monetary / memory cost (I don't need the more advanced Spb Weather features, but I do like to have the additional Spb Time features). I do hope they add a memory meter to the battery tab, as this is the only thing I really find missing from the Pocket Plus today plugin that I need (well, real closing of apps would be nice too).

(4) The square screen issues definitely don't seem like "bugs" to me. The lack of appointments on the Now screen is obviously becaue you cannot fit as much info on a smaller screen... as far as the lack of programmable softkeys, I'm still not really following what the differance is but it doesn't sound like a major miss to me. Can somebody clarify what is missing again?

(5) I think this runs amazingly well on the 700w's limited memory, and I suspect that is exactly because it does not include every feature possible. This is a lean, mean app that is designed to give you 90% of what you will need with very little customization or fuss and a small memory footprint. It doesn't feel like they are aiming at the "I need to tweak every option and have infinite flexibility" crowd. That is why they have Pocket Plus and the other full-blown apps.
    I uninstalled it, and my Start Button did not work. A soft reset did not solve this problem. I reinstalled and its working fine, but I am concerned about the above if I decide not to go with this utility. I dont want to have to do another hard reset. Any ideas?

Thanks
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    a few things that bother me about this a big one is at 1.7 meg up program space it should atleast have the X button that closes programs like pocket plus program. Another thing is smaller Icons or atleast the choice to have smaller icons (icon theme pack). I also think it should have meter support as well for memory and sd card. I myself will probably uninstall this hefty robust program as well, I like so many love the features of phone alarm i'll give it another day before I uninstall this program. On a side note I've noticed a significant battery drain since I loaded this up on my treo its gone from 86% to 68% within 3.5 hours on standby. I want to add if I had more mem on my phone I probably wouldn't complain so much about this program it does have great strengths and it is very aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
    No more Tilt for me came back and got the Treo Pro.
    You can Pin the task manager to the Today Screen, under the Home Tab and shut things down this way, I have used it and like it.

You Tap and Hold an Icon and there are two options, Pin and Remove

[QUOTE=sschlesinger;1193743]a few things that bother me about this a big one is at 1.7 meg up program space it should atleast have the X button that closes programs like pocket plus program. Another thing is smaller Icons or atleast the choice to have smaller icons (icon theme pack).
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    Quote Originally Posted by poddie View Post
    I think many are being way too hard on this program. Several things to keep in mind:

that is the great thing about Spb, you can count on them continuing to work on it, update features, improve compatibility, and squash any bugs that are found at a rapid pace. I have seen this with every other product I have purchased from them and that's quite a few!
    I have used Spb product going back to 2001 and I have to say that while they do continually update their products, they are in no way as quick to improve as their competitor SBSH. No contest.

(4) The square screen issues definitely don't seem like "bugs" to me. The lack of appointments on the Now screen is obviously becaue you cannot fit as much info on a smaller screen... as far as the lack of programmable softkeys, I'm still not really following what the differance is but it doesn't sound like a major miss to me. Can somebody clarify what is missing again?
    What is missing is the drop down selection items for customization of the Today screen soft keys. On my KJAM, there are two drop downs for left/right which contain items like Calendar, Spb Menu, Contact, etc. When you select one, exiting out changes the Today soft keys on the fly. Quite nice.

(5) I think this runs amazingly well on the 700w's limited memory, and I suspect that is exactly because it does not include every feature possible. This is a lean, mean app that is designed to give you 90% of what you will need with very little customization or fuss and a small memory footprint. It doesn't feel like they are aiming at the "I need to tweak every option and have infinite flexibility" crowd. That is why they have Pocket Plus and the other full-blown apps.
    It takes about 2mb of storage and 1.7mb of memory to run. If you plug SPB Plus plugin, into this plugin, to give it proper functionality you now have another resouce hog running that I believe takes something like 3mb of memory to run. SPB Mobile, and SPB Plus use about 5mb of memory. Add in SPB Weather and you've just found the reason why your device is runnng so slow. This compared to claunch which uses about 150kbs to do the same thing....and it is free.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    The word "disable" implies that Spb purposely omitted features. Methinks that the app just isn't fully square screen compatible, which is a bug as far as I am concerned. There's no reason whatsoever why the two drop-downs shouldn't be displayed.
    The drop downs to select softkeys aren't displayed because during testing, the Palm customizations on the Treos kept fighting with the program in earlier builds to see what ended up on the softkeys. They disabed the choice to pick to avoid constant conflict with one overwriting the other. It's not a bug; it's just a limitation of what the program is able to do on a ROM-specific device.
    END OF LINE
  10.    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by naftalim View Post
    I uninstalled it, and my Start Button did not work. A soft reset did not solve this problem. I reinstalled and its working fine, but I am concerned about the above if I decide not to go with this utility. I dont want to have to do another hard reset. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Make sure you check your settings/buttons to see if after removing Mobile Shell that something gets assigned to the start button (i.e. the start menu). In some cases, when you remove MS, the program does not re-assign the button on exit and you are left with a "dead" button. It is usually remedied by assigning it back to the start menu and exiting settings.
    END OF LINE
  11.    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by poddie View Post

(2) It sure feels like one of their design goals with this software was to keep it simple for people to use. Feels like many of the finer tweaks (like exact placement of shortcuts and customization of where things go on the Now screen) have been purposely left out to make it more approachable to most users. It will be interesting to see if they add their usual infinite customizeability to this app or if they try to keep it as easy to use as possible.
    In the beta we had a LOT of suggestions for incorporating support for many other 3rd party apps as well as freeing up some user-customizable options. I believe that Spb's initial idea was to keep the program as robust as possible while making it usable to a novice on a PPC. I think they will most likely add some of that customizable functionality later.
    END OF LINE
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pibe38 View Post

Weatherpanel needs to be as a plugin on the Today screen in order for WP-Pilot to work, if not, it gets all screwy. I would like to see the ability of having more than 1 plugin per tab, that way maybe having WP and WP-Pilot on a tab they would work together with this app.
    Pibe - I have WeatherPanel installed as a tab, and WP-Pilot as the last plugin on the today screen. It appears on every tab, but works fine on the WP tab itself. I have no issues with it. I think it has more to do with where it's positioned in the list of today plugins than anything else. It's been noted elsewhere that it must be directly above or below WeatherPanel in order to work properly. I only have Mobile Shell installed, so I have WP-Pilot right under it, and it's fine.
    Last edited by Alienwhere; 02/08/2007 at 02:24 PM.
    END OF LINE
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alienwhere View Post
    Pibe - I have WeatherPanel installed as a tab, and WP-Pilot as the last plugin on the today screen. It appears on every tab, but works fine on the WP tab itself. I have no issues with it. I think it has more to do with where it's positioned in the list of today plugins than anything else. It's been noted elsewhere that it must be directly above or below WeatherPanel in order to work properly. I only have Mobile Shell installed, so I have WP-Piot right under it, and it's fine.
    I'll have to give that positioning a try. When I tried WP-Pilot actually showed on top of TodayAgenda

I agree with what's posted above as well, smaller icons for the tabs (more customization) would be awesome.

poddie, I don't think users are being too hard on this app. But when a new app that so ambitious is released users are going to compare it to what they have to see if they change to it it's worth it.

Yes, for a v1.0 it's very robust and stable, nobody is saying it's not. However, PPCs have always been noted for customization and some users feels there's some missing here. Support for 3rd party apps, size for tabs, custmization of the Now screen, custmization of the Today tab, etc.

The Today screen soft keys are obviously not changed due to Palm tying them up so hardly to functional Today screen plugin DLLs, it's not the first time this has happened.

I personally think that for users that have been PA for on-screen notification, plus repeating alarms and profiles; WeatherPanel for free (for now) detailed weather information and almost endless customizable themes, etc; other PIM's; and more customizable launchers like iLauncher; this is just really too 'lite' and then if you want the detail you need to purchase their apps (which is ok since it's their app, but not everyone uses them).

They also do not have meters for memory and the ability to turn on Bluetooth.

They do have amazing features too... the Now screen is an awesome idea; I just hope they decide to make it more customizable. Users with square screen could definately add appointments if we were able to change the size of the clock. Not everyone uses/needs a clock so big on the screen.

As I said on my other post, I think it's awesome how if you have the Spb Shell Today plugin all the way on top and you have plugins below it, click on the tabs will make them display over the other plugins instead of creating the dreaded scroll bar.

Users just want to points what would maybe make them ditch some of their apps to keep this one.
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    It seems this thread died after moved to the WM Apps forum.

If anyone is interested, I posted a very informal first look with my own screenshots on the PPCGeeks software/apps forum.
  15.    #95  
    Yeah, this area never seems to get the kind of traffic that the other forums get... oh well. I was hoping for a little more lively discussion...
    END OF LINE
    poddie, I don't think users are being too hard on this app. But when a new app that so ambitious is released users are going to compare it to what they have to see if they change to it it's worth it.

Yes, for a v1.0 it's very robust and stable, nobody is saying it's not. However, PPCs have always been noted for customization and some users feels there's some missing here. Support for 3rd party apps, size for tabs, custmization of the Now screen, custmization of the Today tab, etc.
    Bingo. I didn't want to risk corrupting my Treo so I played around with it on my SIM-less KJAM. End result, lots of eye candy but found it to be very lacking, especially support for 3rd party PIM and other stuff. The way I have my Treo setup with SmallMenu, iLauncher, and PocketBreeze, I find that I can access whatever I want using one hand quicker than what is provided by Mobile Shell.

Maybe I will re-visit it after a few updates.

Pibe: Great write-up I enjoyed reading it and agree with most of your assessments.
    Last edited by JGold; 02/09/2007 at 09:37 PM.
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    Thank you! And I agree with you, this app will definately get a revisit after a couple of updates from Spb's side!

I wonder though... will SBSH come out with a similar product? These 2 companies seem to compete for the same market...

Spb Diary - PocketBreeze
    Spb PocketPlus - iLauncher
    Spb Weather - PocketWeather
    Spb Time - SBSH Clock

You get the point...

I was pretty new to WM5 when I got my 700wx, I had used a PPC2003 in the past but abandoned it due to having to have both a phone and a PDA. Then someone posted a link to iLauncher and there was an issue with the 700w/wx and that way I joined them a a beta tester.

I love their products so then I also bought PocketBreeze and it wasn't until later that I learned about Spb so can't really say much about their apps because Spb Mobile Shell is th first I've ever tried.

I do hope they take some recommendations from users, mainly customization and 3rd party apps support, then I'd buy it without even thinking it twice.

I also noticed that on the Now screen the high/low temps are displayed instead of the current temperature. I don't like this, that's why I love WP. What kinds surprised is how on their forums every was saying that things like only being able to see 2 appointments at the same time (on compatible devices) was by design becuase the Now screen is for that, the status Now! You'd think the actual temperature to be more useful than the forecasted high/low for the day.

But that's just another recommendation we all hope they take into consideration. It's still an awesome achievement, I was never expecting an app like this to be released!
    I've seen the screen shots of this program, and read a few of the reviews. The graphics are impressive but I don't see any real reason to get it. iLauncher, AEbutton , weather to go and Agenda one work great on my iPAQ 6925 (WM5). iLAuncher seems to have so many of the features that this SPB program tries to work with. iLauncher's features actually work well on the square screen! I won't venture a vouch for interaction with Palm Treo's version of WM5.

iLauncher lets you set up tabs with as many or as few icons as you want. The icons are resizable. iLAuncher has a task manager as well as a screen capture feature too!

All the tabs and icons and features on iLAuncher are workable with the nav key!

AEbutton solves HP's ridiculous single remappable hardkey.

Weather to go is sweet mainly because it is free, but can udate either over the air or when in cradle.

I don't see the advantage to this SPB over ilauncher except for nifty graphics. But then again SPB means additional memory is taken up creating such nifty graphics and still keeping the original icon graphics - redundancy is NOT cool on limited memory devices. Negligible as it seems, replacing the original icons with SPB's icons means relearning associations. Again memory redundancy but on the organic side.

I'll spend my bucks elsewhere.
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Is there a place where you can sugjest a few things to a develper? Like why istn't there a voice mail icon on a home screen? It has everything but that. And maybe a BT icon.
    Quote Originally Posted by xplod4202 View Post
    Is there a place where you can sugjest a few things to a develper? Like why istn't there a voice mail icon on a home screen? It has everything but that. And maybe a BT icon.
    http://www.spbclub.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=48
    I'm running my next marathon for charity.

Click here and help me by donating online.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast