Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Bump on my previous post. Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
    Can anyone tell me specifically how I can measure my signal strength other than just looking at the signal meter on the phone? If there's a program I need to install or a diagnostic mode I can enter on the phone, I'd really like to compare zoti's antenna with the original to make sure I'm not losing any signal strength. I think I may be losing some reception with the shorter antenna.
    For CDMA phones, just use the dial pad to dial ##DEBUG# and techincal info will appear, including the RSSI level.

For me:

stock = averages 80
    no antenna = 104
    treo anntenna nub = 91

Remember lower is better for CDMA so loss of signal about 12%-14% for me.
    Just got it, so I do not know how this will affect me in the real world yet.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Actually, on CDMA higher RSSI values indicate better reception. Its just that they are negative numbers so -50 is better than -100. If you look at the absolute values then lower is better (50 better than 100). On a Treo, you should expect a score of -50 (best) if you are standing by a tower. -100 to maybe even -110 is little to no signal.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post
    For CDMA phones, just use the dial pad to dial ##DEBUG# and techincal info will appear, including the RSSI level.

For me:

stock = averages 80
    no antenna = 104
    treo anntenna nub = 91

Remember lower is better for CDMA so loss of signal about 12%-14% for me.
    Just got it, so I do not know how this will affect me in the real world yet.
    Thanks for that info. Is it just me or does 12-12% seem like a significant dropoff? I'm sure it's fine if you are in an area with good reception but if you're in a marginal area, you're probably not going to be able to get a signal with the shorter antenna. I thought the shorter antenna was supposed to be just as good as the original.
    It varies on your carrier and your area. From what I have seen, CDMA has little to no signal drop while GSM seems to have a little more signal drop. My experience has been no drop in reception on my Sprint 700wx (CDMA). The most important thing is to make sure you have a good metal to metal contact when installing the antenna or your reception will be crap.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    But how do you know if you have "good metal to metal contact" when you install it? There's only one way to install it and as long as it's in there tight, isn't that the most you can do?

Also, were you able to do direct RSSI value comparisons with both antennas? (swapping the antennas out several times while keeping the phone in basically the same position)
    If your connection is the same with the Zoti antenna as with no antenna, then you don't have a good connection.

As for testing, I put my Treo down on a piece of paper and drew an outline then taped the paper to the counter to make sure it did not move. I measured the RSSI values with the original antenna and then with the Zoti antenna with the phone in the exact same spot. The numbers were virtually identical between the original and the Zoti in my case. I had also written down the values I had at work pre-Zoti and they were virtually identical to the Zoti as well.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Looks like I'm seeing about a 10-20% drop in reception using the zoti antenna - that seems a bit high to me. It's a shame too because it really is a lot smaller with the zoti.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    It seems that if I am in an area where my sig strength is 60 percent and above... there is not much difference with trying both stock and Zoti antennae.
    But, If I am in an area where sig strenght is around 20 to 25, percent then there is about a 5 to 10 % drop in strength with the Zoti antennea.

That is why some have issues and others don't.

Hope this helps.

Paul Gianni
    I love the Zoti antenna, however I'm tired of glue'ing the top back on. Ive done it twice now, and it is currently without the top. Zoti, care to send me out another one?
    Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post

this does not work for me (verizon 700w)

i dial ##debug# (##33284#)

"welcome to verizon wireless, the number you dialed has been changed, disconnected, or is no longer in service"
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Mine has lost its top several times to the point that its no good anymore. Had this antenna for 4 weeks or so and now garbage. Havent dropped phone ever for this to happen. For now staying clear of getting another
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123