Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The things that are preinstalled are just the "standard ones" i'm sure. i'll list what is in Programs just for completeness:
    Games
    ActiveSync
    Calculator
    Camera
    Download Agent
    Email Setup
    Excel Mobile
    File Explorer
    Modem Link
    Notes
    PDF Viewer
    Pocket MSN
    PowerPoint Mobile
    Quick Tour
    Search
    Sim Manager
    Sounds
    Tasks
    Terminal Services
    Windows Media
    Word Mobile
    Handspring Visor Platinum --> Laptop computer pim+cell phone for years --> Treo 650 Cingular (until it died in the middle of the highway) --> Treo 750 Cingular --> Unbranded/Unlocked Treo 750 --> ???
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grundler View Post
    The things that are preinstalled are just the "standard ones" i'm sure. i'll list what is in Programs just for completeness:
    Games
    ActiveSync
    Calculator
    Camera
    Download Agent
    Email Setup
    Excel Mobile
    File Explorer
    Modem Link
    Notes
    PDF Viewer
    Pocket MSN
    PowerPoint Mobile
    Quick Tour
    Search
    Sim Manager
    Sounds
    Tasks
    Terminal Services
    Windows Media
    Word Mobile
    awesome - give a little insight once you get setup.
    Got any cars with bluetooth to test with?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    The one from Mobileplanet is supposed to have HSDPA support active correct? The current Cingular and Vodaphone ones don't.
    Can you help me understand this? HSDPA is Cingular's implementation of 3G, right? I would get a 750 for use overseas. If I am understanding things correctly, the unbranded mobileplanet.com one would work better (meaning it would give me 3G data speeds at normal non-U.S. excessive data prices) compared to the the Cingular branded one, which I would then get unlocked. Correct?
    No HSDPA is a faster protocol based on UMTS networks. It's somewhat similar to EVDO-A versue EVDO. There is nothing Cingular specific about it. The Cingular specific part is what frequencies are used. So if you went to Europe the HSDPA will give you faster downloads there also. However it won't make a difference on T-Mobile USA. That's because they use frequencies different than Cingular and different than anyone else in the world. The 750 doesn't support the 3G frequencies that T-Mobile USA is planning to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Can you help me understand this? HSDPA is Cingular's implementation of 3G, right? I would get a 750 for use overseas. If I am understanding things correctly, the unbranded mobileplanet.com one would work better (meaning it would give me 3G data speeds at normal non-U.S. excessive data prices) compared to the the Cingular branded one, which I would then get unlocked. Correct?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    No HSDPA is a faster protocol based on UMTS networks. It's somewhat similar to EVDO-A versue EVDO. There is nothing Cingular specific about it. The Cingular specific part is what frequencies are used. So if you went to Europe the HSDPA will give you faster downloads there also. However it won't make a difference on T-Mobile USA. That's because they use frequencies different than Cingular and different than anyone else in the world. The 750 doesn't support the 3G frequencies that T-Mobile USA is planning to use.
    Thanks. I have a standby account on T-Mobile USA and I know about their use of 1700 MHz for data, which is definitely nonstandard.

The alphabet soup is confusing. My head hurts.
    Got any cars with bluetooth to test with?
    no. but i'll give you my address and you can send me one! :-)

So far everything is okay. However, it has been a bit slow at finding Cingular's network a few times. not quite sure if there is something else for me to configure or if its just a fluke or what. i'll say more after more time so as to not give incomplete/false impressions.
    Handspring Visor Platinum --> Laptop computer pim+cell phone for years --> Treo 650 Cingular (until it died in the middle of the highway) --> Treo 750 Cingular --> Unbranded/Unlocked Treo 750 --> ???
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    I know about [T-Mobile's] use of 1700 MHz for data, which is definitely nonstandard.
    There's definately NOTHING non-standard about the AWS 1700/2100 "band IV" purchased by T-Mobile (and, presumably, what they are already deploying in the NYC area on some 1200 cell sites).

I'll grant you that they are - at this time - apparently unique in their choice to use it (for understandable reasons).

But the likelihood of being able to use a T-Mobile USA-compatible 3G phone outside the USA looks very grim. Apparently, there is more than S/W to config any of the several 3G-capable cell radio chips to support the various 3G bands
    This is a little off-topic, but is there a way to extract the Pocket MSN .cab? I have it on 2 other devices, but not the 750v. Anyone know how?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12