Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This thing is a P.O.S. I've had a Treo 600, a 650 and now a 750. I don't believe the phone itself is at fault, but the operating system is terrible.. I've installed a few applications.. Google maps, IM+ and Avanto.. I have a 2gb mini SD card installed as well..

I'm not crazy about the fact that applications don't shut down when you close them - they run in the background making operations very slow. I have to close down apps in order to navigate nicely.

The "Dismiss" feature doesn't work so you can't tell the Treo you don't want to be "reminded" about things every two minutes. And there's a GREY'd OUT option to avoid these notifications - so you can't select it. If you have calendar reminders, to dos and emails coming in, you'll get beeps/reminders constantly - which are annoying to hear and annoying to see on the screen while you're navigating around.

The battery life is terrible. I do exactly the same as I do with my 600 and 650 and this battery seems to last about half the time.

The sound turns off every so often. Out of nowhere, no sound. The phone won't ring when you receive a call. And there's no warning - so you don't know this has happened unless you notice that you haven't received the annoying unstoppable reminder OR somebody calls you on another line and asks why you didn't pick up on your cell. You have to reset the device to get sound back.

I don't know how many times I've had to "reset" so far in 24 hours. Sometimes navigating gets so slow that I can't wait for the Task Manager to open up - so I have no choice but to reset...

They flatter keys on the keyboard are definitely something to get used to. This was the first thing I noticed. It's not terrible - just different.

The resolution is fine. I really don't notice any difference from the 320 on the 650 to the 220 on the 750. It works out just fine...

Honestly. People. Don't buy this phone yet. Wait until there's some type of update to fix these issues. It's not worth the upgrade. Believe me. Hold off until these issues are fixed... I'm an experienced Treo user and this device is driving me crazy...
    Last edited by Sal Collaziano; 02/04/2007 at 12:35 PM.
    Sal Collaziano
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 "dumb" phone > iPhone > Pre?
    cadillac | oldsmobile | buick | pontiac | lincoln | Madison Ross Media Group
    I've been very happy with the 750. I've had it for about three weeks and yes, I have gotten the sound bug twice but it still vibrates so I can live with it. It still beats anything else out there. When the 650 came out it had a LOT more bugs than the 750 at launch.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    From reading your post Sal, it appears you are basing your experiences upon Palm OS devices....that is truly comparing apples to oranges. I have personally owned the treo 700w along with over 20 windows mobile based devices and can say without a doubt that the 750 is one of the most solid devices on the market today....
  4.    #4  
    I did have a Sprint Windows Mobile 5 device for a few weeks and it didn't have the problems I'm running into here.. I only went back to my 650 because I needed a good instant messaging program which wasn't available for it at the time...

At any cost, my issues here are delayed navigation due to applications being left opened, the sound turning off on me three times in 24 hours, annoying notification/reminder system, low battery life...
    Sal Collaziano
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I've had a 750 for a few days, coming from a 650. The 750 is much harder to use - things I could get at on the 650 in a couple of button presses take me six or seven on the 750. And the software is indeed flaky - lots of "program encountered an error and has to close", and ActiveSync works about one out of five times. I still can't get email fetching and notification to work right.

But I'm going to stick with it - I recognize there is a learning curve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    This thing is a P.O.S. I've had a Treo 600, a 650 and now a 750. I don't believe the phone itself is at fault, but the operating system is terrible.. I've installed a few applications.. Google maps, IM+ and Avanto.. I have a 2gb mini SD card installed as well..

I'm not crazy about the fact that applications don't shut down when you close them - they run in the background making operations very slow. I have to close down apps in order to navigate nicely.

The "Dismiss" feature doesn't work so you can't tell the Treo you don't want to be "reminded" about things every two minutes. And there's a GREY'd OUT option to avoid these notifications - so you can't select it. If you have calendar reminders, to dos and emails coming in, you'll get beeps/reminders constantly - which are annoying to hear and annoying to see on the screen while you're navigating around.

The battery life is terrible. I do exactly the same as I do with my 600 and 650 and this battery seems to last about half the time.

The sound turns off every so often. Out of nowhere, no sound. The phone won't ring when you receive a call. And there's no warning - so you don't know this has happened unless you notice that you haven't received the annoying unstoppable reminder OR somebody calls you on another line and asks why you didn't pick up on your cell. You have to reset the device to get sound back.

I don't know how many times I've had to "reset" so far in 24 hours. Sometimes navigating gets so slow that I can't wait for the Task Manager to open up - so I have no choice but to reset...

They flatter keys on the keyboard are definitely something to get used to. This was the first thing I noticed. It's not terrible - just different.

The resolution is fine. I really don't notice any difference from the 320 on the 650 to the 220 on the 750. It works out just fine...

Honestly. People. Don't buy this phone yet. Wait until there's some type of update to fix these issues. It's not worth the upgrade. Believe me. Hold off until these issues are fixed... I'm an experienced Treo user and this device is driving me crazy...
    The only issue I have that I agree w/ you is the battery life. But with what, 600mah less (a THIRD of the capacity of the 650 battery) and UMTS, of course it'll have less battery life. I LOVE the power of multitasking. If you have apps you want to close, get the HTC X-Button close app from xda-developers. The dismiss softkey has yet to exhibit that behavior on any of my current or past 10+ PPCs. I don't have an issue with sound going out - perhaps its 3rd party software? And the only time I reset is when I feel like I want to. Of all the smartphones I've ever used, the Treo 750 is by far my most favorite.
  7.    #7  
    I'm not giving up on the 750 but I really hope there's an update soon...
    Sal Collaziano
    This thing is a P.O.S.
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    The 750 is much harder to use - things I could get at on the 650 in a couple of button presses take me six or seven on the 750.
    The Windows Mobile software does indeed have its issues. One of the reasons being that its architecture is made for 3rd party software. Thus the HUGE selection of software titles available for it. No matter how Palm disguises their OS it is still just a bare bones OS that does a great job with a few, simple tasks. Windows Mobile and thus the Treo 750 is not for the casual user. It has to be customized by someone who knows what they are doing. The fact that it would take anyone more than 3 button presses to do ANYTHING on this device just shows that you aren't quite there yet with the Windows Mobile learning curve. On my 750 I run TCPMP, Voice Command, spb Pocket Plus, MemMaid, Resco File, Double Launcher, Real One Player, Sprite Backup and the god-awful Goodlink push mail. Almost everything I do is one or two button pushes. The phone works great. The keyboard is decent. I get POP mail as well as Goodlink mail with great speed. I get anywhere between 400 to 900 kbps with my UMTS/HSDPS. Music and movies play great. Bluetooth headset, great. The only trade off for me is the battery. So I buy a second OEM battery but rarely need it as I am almost always near a charger during the day (at home, in the car, in the office) As far as what I can get out of this device, I will put it up against any other out there. It has made me realize how ineffective the side slider 8525 was for someone like me that does a lot of typing throughout the day.
    There are third party programs that will actually close apps. when you tap on the "X" button at the top right or press the "OK" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    There are third party programs that will actually close apps. when you tap on the "X" button at the top right or press the "OK" button.
    Yes, an some of those even have key mappable functions to close apps. For example, iLauncher and Pocketplus insert a item into the button mapping list. I map the iLauncher close to a ok press an the iLauncher task manager to a ok-hold-press.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)

My experiences after one full week:

I have not had the reminder constantly going off problem at all. I also do not have the Dismiss feature not working (though I'm not sure what you mean by "not working" - I hit dismiss, and that's the last I see of the notification (text, email, missed call, voicemail, appointment)).

I also have not had an issue yet with the phone bogging down with two many apps (I have owned an HTC Wizard which REALLY bogged down), and in fact only go to the task manager via habit about twice a day to clear out any apps I didn't realize were running. As others have mentioned, you can always get the magic button program to actually close apps.

What 3rd party apps have you installed? What apps are running in the background? And how noticeable is the performance gain when you close the apps? Maybe you should return it and see if you can get a different one.

I also owned a 600, 650, and now the 750 (HTC Wizard, Moto A1200 Ming, Motorola Q in between) and I honestly have enjoyed the most by far (though this is for my needs).

The only thing I have an issue with at this point is the battery life. I will probably end up getting the extended Seidio monster 2400 humpback battery (I am just waiting to make sure they are making a case to support it).
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    You guys who are former Treo 650 users really need to remember that you have to do things differently on Windows Mobile. You cannot expect an entirely different OS to operate the way your old device did. It doesn't make sense. Open yourself to doing something new and you might start to see things differently. It is like Mac and PC user who say the other doesn't work. Bullsh--! Both are excellent...I don't want to debate Mac vs. PC because I just don't care enough but I am happy using either one.
    I have had a 600, 650, 8125, 8525, HP 6925, BB 8700 and BB 7100 and IMO the 750 is the best of the lot! The 8700 was an e-mail and calendar work horse and if all you need are those two things it wins hands down. But if you want the full feature phone the 750 is the best convergence device to date.

Mine is rock solid. I would like better battery life but after a few cycles ( I have had the phone since the 9th of Jan ) I am getting longer daily use from a single charge. I am hoping for an extended battery to be launched that fits inside the existing case wihtout having to get some bloated battery door.

VERY happy with my 750!
    i've owned them all too. got bored with the new 750 after having sent back the 680 due to its battery limitations and tired os. there is nothing special nor innovative with the 750, same old brick-heavy device but without an antenna. given all of the other product offerings out there that are much less heavy and smaller i didn't find a need to keep the 750 even as a secondary device. i'm sure it works wonders for some but fortunately i can live happily without it as the Pearl does just about the same at a fraction of the size and weight.

regardless, best success and may you be happy with yours.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    This thread points out (among other things) the great feature of that 30-day return deal that the carriers give you with a new phone. (Well, 30 days here in the People's Republic of California). If you don't like it you can give it back. I've done that with a number of phones. I've also bought phones cheap on Craigslist and re-sold them when I decided I didn't like them.

My latest phone is the 700wx and it's AbFab. Of all the Windows Mobile phones I've had so far, this is the best. And from what I understand, the 750 has little feature tweaks that improve on the 700w/wx.

I still like the Palm OS. But I'm a total convert to the WM5 capabilities. I can't even fire up the old 650 on T-Mobile anymore after having experienced Sprint's EVDO and the WM functionality in synchronizing with my Exchange Server. WM takes some getting used to, just as switching from WordPerfect to Word took some getting used to. But you will learn the new methods.

Sal, if the 750 doesn't work for you, take it back. Wait until the much-anticipated Linux-based/Palm interface-over-ESP Treo comes out later this year, as has been rumored. I myself will watch for that and may well throw the 700wx overboard.

But I would NOT toss the Treo overboard for the iPhone. No sir.
    ...as much as liked my TyTn, the one-handed ease of the Treo platform was the main reason I went from the TyTn to the 650 to the 750. Fatal flaws of the 750: the nasty habit of the phone not ringing (and not when the 750 would not ring), the square screen rendering a lot of 3rd party apps useless, and the fact that most (if not all) WM5 devices cannot record a phone call. Seriously, why hasn't the 750 community NOT pushed for a solution/workaround for this call ringing flaw?
    I think there's something on here carried over from the 700w, although I haven't used it yet because I use Wisbar Lite. If you press and hold the OK button, the list of apps running comes up and you can then close them.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21mike21 View Post
    ...as much as liked my TyTn, the one-handed ease of the Treo platform was the main reason I went from the TyTn to the 650 to the 750. Fatal flaws of the 750: the nasty habit of the phone not ringing (and not when the 750 would not ring), the square screen rendering a lot of 3rd party apps useless, and the fact that most (if not all) WM5 devices cannot record a phone call. Seriously, why hasn't the 750 community NOT pushed for a solution/workaround for this call ringing flaw?
    The Phone not ringing I have heard about a few times, but i have never seen this problem first hand (I Use phone alarm and receive aprox. 20 - 40 calls daily). The other "Flaws" you speak of seem to be Windows Mobile limitations more then a Treo specific issue. I miss call recording, but its only a distant memory since switching to Windows Mobile devices a few years back. Actually, most issues I have ever had with devices tend to be a limitation of Windows Mobile software and not at all hardware related. Some hardware can make windows mobile shine - like the Treo, other hardware makes windows mobile a complete liability.

The Treo is the best WM5 device I have ever used, I sure hope to see WM6 improve on some of the deficiencies in previous versions.
    WOW. I am not going to get this phone. Week battery, Fatal flaws, not ringing, what else? Thats enought for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgdoc View Post
    WOW. I am not going to get this phone. Week battery, Fatal flaws, not ringing, what else? Thats enought for me.
    Your loss. I have had a couple of dropped calls, good battery life and I even getting HSDPA. My phone has rung each and every time I have gotten a call.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast