Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by badler View Post
    The first is the square screen. Are some applications really difficult to use because of the 750's screen? The second question I have is about one-handed, no-stylus use. Is it possible to use the 750 without ever taking out the stylus? (There's a really excellent Palm OS program eZRocker, that lets you use the 5-way as a mouse, giving you the ability to do everything with one hand.)
    You get used to the square screen real quick. Most apps are square screen compliant with some exceptions (ie. some older apps that have not been updated). No, apps are not more difficult to use, especially if they are designed properly. Apps like PIE and Excel where you can have many lines of data, of course you need to scroll more, but like I said you get used to it.

As far as one-handedness, yes, the Treo does an admirable job at improving WM5 for onehanded use. For the most part I rarely have to touch the screen, and times that I need to are few and far between. I have also improved one-handed use by adding apps like iLauncher, SmallMenu, PocketBreeze, and CtrlKeyPro.

HTH!
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    The 750's screen is just as square as the 680's. It does have lower resolution, but it isn't an issue for me. Yes, you really can use it one-handed for just about everything.
    I'm also thinking of trying the 750 - heard the WM6 is coming soon for it

anyway - has anyone tried the new Agendus 1.0 for it? Any comments on its useablility?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    anyway - has anyone tried the new Agendus 1.0 for it? Any comments on its useablility?
    I use it on a daily basis. It works great but if you're coming from PalmOS you'll miss the resolution, especially on the extended month view
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Getting back to the subject. I am a very happy 750 user, despite of the battery life (awful) and surprisingly enough no one mentioned the lack of wifi as a weak point on the device
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amstel View Post
    Getting back to the subject. I am a very happy 750 user, despite of the battery life (awful) and surprisingly enough no one mentioned the lack of wifi as a weak point on the device
    The battery life has gotten better the longer and more I use the phone, something that happened with the Blackjack when I had it.

I personally could care less about WiFi here in NYC. I have had phones that are WiFi enabled here and never used it. I personally think having 3G and unlimited data connection is better then WiFi. Also, WiFi on my 8125/8525 killed battery life even more.

Obviously if someone doesn't have 3G, they might want WiFi.
    Palm 650 > Nokis 6682 > HTC 8125 > Nokia e62 > BB Pearl > Samsung Blackjack > HTC 8525 > Treo 750 & HTC Trinity
    Not an issue when you have 3G.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    I use it on a daily basis. It works great but if you're coming from PalmOS you'll miss the resolution, especially on the extended month view
    yes, I live in my Agendus (palm version) all day!

I hope I can cope with it on the 750...we'll see.

Is it speedy like the palm version or is there a lag switching screens, etc.?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Not an issue when you have 3G.
    LOL you'd never say that living in Europe and coping with data prices
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Is it speedy like the palm version or is there a lag switching screens, etc.?
    Apart from the startup which is always a bit slower, the rest is quite snappy. I'd say you wouldn't notice much differences
    Apart from the startup which is always a bit slower, the rest is quite snappy. I'd say you wouldn't notice much differences
    I assume you could probably keep it running all the time (in ram) to combat the "opens slowly" issue by placing it in the startup folder?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I assume you could probably keep it running all the time (in ram) to combat the "opens slowly" issue by placing it in the startup folder?
    That's correct. That's the way I have it right now and working flawlessly
    That's correct. That's the way I have it right now and working flawlessly
    great thanks
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
    I think it has been mentioned one thousand times that the real cause of the loss of volume is the volume service (VOL1) from Palm. If you want to avoid it completely, you have to disable it.
    Can you shed some light please on how to disable the volume service?
    I guess the obvious response to the Original Poster is, if you don't like it move on. And I don't mean to sound brash about it but if you don't like the 750 and prefer the Palm Treo's, switch back and be happy.

Many have already mentioned that WM is a different type animal than Palm OS and takes some time to get used to. I had been using a 650 and 680 for sometime but got really tired of the instability of these devices. I tried the 750 for a day and wasn't impressed either.

Then someone on the forums suggested trying the 750 for more than just a day. Give myself a chance to get use to WM. I took the advise and gave it a few weeks. Once I got used to WM, I actually prefer it over the 680.

Yep. Battery life has a lot to be desired. And at times I forget to stop a program from running in the background but I have found that from call quality to stability the 750 is a better device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashgordonv View Post
    Can you shed some light please on how to disable the volume service?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...8&postcount=16
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    This thing is a P.O.S. I've had a Treo 600, a 650 and now a 750. I don't believe the phone itself is at fault, but the operating system is terrible.. I've installed a few applications.. Google maps, IM+ and Avanto.. I have a 2gb mini SD card installed as well..

I'm not crazy about the fact that applications don't shut down when you close them - they run in the background making operations very slow. I have to close down apps in order to navigate nicely.

The "Dismiss" feature doesn't work so you can't tell the Treo you don't want to be "reminded" about things every two minutes. And there's a GREY'd OUT option to avoid these notifications - so you can't select it. If you have calendar reminders, to dos and emails coming in, you'll get beeps/reminders constantly - which are annoying to hear and annoying to see on the screen while you're navigating around.

The battery life is terrible. I do exactly the same as I do with my 600 and 650 and this battery seems to last about half the time.

The sound turns off every so often. Out of nowhere, no sound. The phone won't ring when you receive a call. And there's no warning - so you don't know this has happened unless you notice that you haven't received the annoying unstoppable reminder OR somebody calls you on another line and asks why you didn't pick up on your cell. You have to reset the device to get sound back.

I don't know how many times I've had to "reset" so far in 24 hours. Sometimes navigating gets so slow that I can't wait for the Task Manager to open up - so I have no choice but to reset...

They flatter keys on the keyboard are definitely something to get used to. This was the first thing I noticed. It's not terrible - just different.

The resolution is fine. I really don't notice any difference from the 320 on the 650 to the 220 on the 750. It works out just fine...

Honestly. People. Don't buy this phone yet. Wait until there's some type of update to fix these issues. It's not worth the upgrade. Believe me. Hold off until these issues are fixed... I'm an experienced Treo user and this device is driving me crazy...
    Amen!
    I've only owned one phone.. the 750 - but I must say, it didnt work for me out of the box. I still love it, once you get everything debuged. the OS has work no doubt... BUT I've always hated windows.... It's such a limiter on what you can do. Hence why linux is put on everything now-a-days.

/whispers, "any linux platforms yet?.... :|"

I've got a ftp program, mysqlmobile, some simple irc codework, and working on a custom Rcon tool.. They work just fine on windows, but like I said, after you get past the bugs.
    Windows < ubuntu + beryl (UNIX/Linux)... now time to code..

yay for hackers and all the wonderful tools used by said brains.
    Anyone play counterstrike?
    My honest opinions is to quit whining and get something you like. If it's not a Treo, let it be. Treos were never meant to satisfy EVERYONE. I know for sure my girlfriend would hate it. Anything with more than 11 buttons confuses her.
    Quote Originally Posted by surfasb View Post
    My honest opinions is to quit whining and get something you like. If it's not a Treo, let it be. Treos were never meant to satisfy EVERYONE. I know for sure my girlfriend would hate it. Anything with more than 11 buttons confuses her.
    what is frustrating for alot of us who used other palms in the past is that they were so good in comparison.

i know palm made a business decision to use windows to increase useage/sales. we just wish that each phone was available in either OS. a 750p would be GGGGRRRREEEEEAAAAATTTTT.

and alot of us who have used palms but never a pocket PC didn;t imagine the changes would be so drastic. alot of things like the palm hom screen with the buttons to launch each program just seem so obvious to so many mobile users...i for one just didn't think that anything as bad as windows mobile (from what i have seen in my 3 weeks using it) could be so bad, and am disappointed when i find out each day another reason why it is.

and now i have a used phone, not worth near what i paid and really don't feel like changing again and paying out the ***. and besides, alot of the phone is ok (most the parts palm is responsible for) it is good looking, more durable than the older ones, better reception than my 650, way better speaker phone sound and mic etc etc

in fact the only bad thing not a result of the OS is the dismal battery life , but a car charger is now just a way of life
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast