1.    #1  
    I find it hard to believe no one has found the ability for DUN(Dial Up Networking) on a Treo 700wx. If other Windows Mobile phones have an option of DUN on or of, like the 650 which my dad has and I have experienced. I liked the function of using my dad's phone as a modem with my computer so much that I ultimately got the 700wx due to the higher speed capability(EV-DO). The 700wx is even advertised as "Phone As Modem" but i have yet to find any information on the subject and this is very frustrating issue, which makes me feel like i waisted my money on the phone. There is also no way of simply recording GPS information to a KML file to be later viewed in Google Earth, which is also another extremely simple application my dad's got on his 650 Palm. I sure hope someone out there has a solution to these terrible problems....I thank you all ahead of time for your help and assistance.
    One of the options to utilize DUN from your Treo 700WX is through PdaNet at http://www.junefabrics.com/. There is a one time registration fee for the program. Of course, you may also sign up and pay monthly for a PAM plan, if one is offered by your cell carrier.

Cheers,
    Tony
    SF, CA
    The 700wx is indeed capable of DUN I believe, but not through bluetooth. You need to use the Sprint connection manager, PDANet, or USBmodem. Not sure about the GPS thing, but I'm sure there's a way to do it. Is there a reason why you would want to record GPS info into a KML file instead of just using the GPS itself?
    This came from Big D5 on ppcgeeks.com:

After much trial and error I thing I have this worked out. This is what I have found so try for your self and give me your comments.

First you will need to download the connection manager software from sprint. The disc that comes with the 700wx has a link to this software. Download and run the software and choose the 700wx drivers. Turn on the 700wx and go to start/programs/modem link set to connection USB, hit activate. Connect the 700wx to the PC with the OEM, USB cable wait for the drivers to recognize the 700wx as a modem.

Now on your PC go to Control panel and open Network Connections than Make a new connection/next/connect to internet/set up manually/connect using dial up modem. This brings up a page that shows the available modems chose the 700wx. Go to next ISP name is sprint/next telephone number is #777/next user name and password leave blank next/finish.

Next you will see the dial up window, THIS IS IMPORTANT make SURE user name and password are blank and check the box to save password. Hit dial. This will connect the first time no problem, but the next time you try you will get an error 687 remote computer will not respond or 692 hardware failure. Disconnect the USB cable deactivate the Modem Link than activate, reconnect the cable. BEFORE trying to make the dial up connection and while the 700wx is connected to the PC and the modem link is active, you MUST turn off the 700wx phone radio by holding the red phone button. After the phone has turned completely off turn it back on again by holding down the red phone button again. Than when the EV is back in the display start the dialup by going to start/connect to/sprint on the PC. This works every time, I am not sure what this has to do with the connection but it is the only way to reset the PPC and re-establish the connection.

I have only tethered in this way a few times so I am not sure if this usage can be tracked. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR CHARGES.

Enjoy

This comes from dinomon1 on ppcgeeks.com:

Download Sprint PCS Connection Manager from http://www4.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/s...alId=downloads

Select: Windows XP
    and Download 'Sprint PCS Connection Manager for Phone as Modem/USB Cables'

Install the driver on your home PC.
  5.    #5  
    This is all very helpful, and thank you. I was speaking mainly of OS X, and a free way of doing this, would be nice although it is not a must. I almost find it appalling how Palm™ can advertise this phone in the way they did, it is a great and fast phone, but without these features it is only a great PHONE. It appears there is only a work around for these problems for either windows and Palm, so maybe a switch is necessary. If i could get a program to use with my gps it would be great, i just feel it is that much cooler to be able to send a file to a friend or my computer and say, "Hey, look where i was!!" The GPS is not the problem, the problem is DUN, (Bluetooth or USB) it seems that either no one has this phone, or the people who do have windows, it would suck to have to use Virtual PC to get all this done. If the UTS-6700 has DUN in its Bluetooth settings window pane, why is it that i cant take a file or a few and put it on my 700wx to allow that same option in my Bluetooth preferences? Bluetooth is nice cause of no wires, otherwise USB is nicer, due to access to the faster internet where i assume bluetooth cuts it off. I just feel I wasted my money on this phone and feel terrible that I cant do the things i wanted to do for the reason of getting the phone. thank you all very much for your posts and information, its much appreciated.

A. Jay
    go to this site:

1) http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-1000.html

2) it is an .exe

3) install it on your computer while the cable to the usb to your treo 700 is connected

4) onced installed, disconnect your dsl from your computer

5) click on the pda icon on your treo (in the today screen) or if you added a shortcut to your desktop

6) done. it's free. pdaNet is free.
    Quote Originally Posted by slyaii View Post
    go to this site:

1) http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-1000.html

2) it is an .exe

3) install it on your computer while the cable to the usb to your treo 700 is connected

4) onced installed, disconnect your dsl from your computer

5) click on the pda icon on your treo (in the today screen) or if you added a shortcut to your desktop

6) done. it's free. pdaNet is free.
    But you have to pay for the PDANet after the trial period?
    This is really stupid of them. all i want is to be able to connect to my TomTom so i can use traffic feature, and i need DUN over BT for that
    nope...i didn't purchase nothing. give me ur email...i'll send u a copy, but i got it at the same site...
    i am viewing this page right now using the pdanet at 2.4 Mbps
    i am viewing this page right now using the pdanet at 2.4 Mbps.
    just follow the instructions on top of my post.

FYI: i don't know if this is some weird thing, but my mouse didn't work (usb mouse). I took out the usb for the treo, restarted my computer and my mouse works...then i connected the usb for the treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by veronicamays View Post
    This came from Big D5 on ppcgeeks.com:

After much trial and error I thing I have this worked out. This is what I have found so try for your self and give me your comments.

First you will need to download the connection manager software from sprint. The disc that comes with the 700wx has a link to this software. Download and run the software and choose the 700wx drivers. Turn on the 700wx and go to start/programs/modem link set to connection USB, hit activate. Connect the 700wx to the PC with the OEM, USB cable wait for the drivers to recognize the 700wx as a modem.

Now on your PC go to Control panel and open Network Connections than Make a new connection/next/connect to internet/set up manually/connect using dial up modem. This brings up a page that shows the available modems chose the 700wx. Go to next ISP name is sprint/next telephone number is #777/next user name and password leave blank next/finish.

Next you will see the dial up window, THIS IS IMPORTANT make SURE user name and password are blank and check the box to save password. Hit dial. This will connect the first time no problem, but the next time you try you will get an error 687 remote computer will not respond or 692 hardware failure. Disconnect the USB cable deactivate the Modem Link than activate, reconnect the cable. BEFORE trying to make the dial up connection and while the 700wx is connected to the PC and the modem link is active, you MUST turn off the 700wx phone radio by holding the red phone button. After the phone has turned completely off turn it back on again by holding down the red phone button again. Than when the EV is back in the display start the dialup by going to start/connect to/sprint on the PC. This works every time, I am not sure what this has to do with the connection but it is the only way to reset the PPC and re-establish the connection.

I have only tethered in this way a few times so I am not sure if this usage can be tracked. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR CHARGES.

Enjoy

This comes from dinomon1 on ppcgeeks.com:

Download Sprint PCS Connection Manager from http://www4.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/s...alId=downloads

Select: Windows XP
    and Download 'Sprint PCS Connection Manager for Phone as Modem/USB Cables'

Install the driver on your home PC.
    Veronicamays,
    Thank you so much for your instruction above. It was well written and so easy to follow. I did exactly what you have described and am now connected my laptop via my 700WX as I write this. Bench test from www.dslreports.com/mspeed reports an average download of over 900-950kbps for the 600k file. Although I have purchased and used PdaNet for almost 5 months, I was never able to achieve over 900kbps download with it. This is definitely an excellent option for those who need laptop connection once in a while with their Treo. Thanks again for sharing this info.

Cheers,
    Tony
    SF, CA
    Works great for me as well. So glad to find this solution. Now, just waiting to see if Sprint bills me for the usage...
    any update as to if charges occur even you have a data plan? This works like a charm and I dont want to pay extra for pdanet. Thanks.
    bump for any new answer
    thank you veronicmays! your directions for turning on and off the phone makes the hardware failure message go away and the modem works!!! Yay for you! much thanks