Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokkos View Post
    WOW! I live on the edge of EDVO Coverage from Sprint. Never get over 115-125. Tested at www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest got 118. Changed DNS servers from Automatic to

Now Getting 1.1 megabits per second!

Thanks to JimmieGeddes & Malatesta!

Kokkos

ps: I am in the process of re-working the 700wx ROM and disabling the crappy dialer and enabling Kokkos and Eten Dialers with or without Smartdialer. Will post on progress.

i do belive that the dns setting wont change your internet speeds. it just changes how long it looks for the page. once it find the page the speed is the same. i think you just got a phony reading. imho
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    i wonder if changing the dns servers to 208.67.222.222
    208.67.220.220 would work for verizon?? im getting 350kpbs at work
  3.    #23  
    yes it will work for verizon. but you guys should know... quote from a nother thread... Latency maybe, but changing the DNS server has nothing to do with download speed. All a DNS server does is translate an alphanumeric URL into a numeric IP. There is no way to get a bigger or faster pipe by changing DNS servers.

Raw download bandwidth increases are purely coincidental.

the thread is here... http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=126639
    You are right that DNS servers cannot increase bandwidth. But shorter hops and under tasked servers can respond quicker to DNS requests thus the browser loads the request faster instead of waiting for a DNS response.

I have tested extensively with and without the DNS settings. There is nothing coincidental about faster DNS requests.

All of my tests indicate a 200-300% increase in Browser response with Static DNS settings.

Bandwidth tests range between 700-1.2mb, without static DNS 75-189k

This equates to faster load times for the end user, as an end user I am seeing those faster load times.

Kokkos
    Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17
    Quote Originally Posted by sfld View Post
    i wonder if changing the dns servers to 208.67.222.222
    208.67.220.220 would work for verizon?? im getting 350kpbs at work
    It does not cost you anything but a few minutes of your time. You do not see or like the results, re-check Automatic DNS.

Log term could save you hours of browsing hits and misses,

Kokkos
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokkos View Post
    You are right that DNS servers cannot increase bandwidth. But shorter hops and under tasked servers can respond quicker to DNS requests thus the browser loads the request faster instead of waiting for a DNS response.

I have tested extensively with and without the DNS settings. There is nothing coincidental about faster DNS requests.

All of my tests indicate a 200-300% increase in Browser response with Static DNS settings.

Bandwidth tests range between 700-1.2mb, without static DNS 75-189k

This equates to faster load times for the end user, as an end user I am seeing those faster load times.

Kokkos
    Your results make zero sense.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I was trying to figure that out also
    Please explain your findings again KoKKos.

Phil C
    Do you need instructions on making the DNS changes or a better explanation on Why to make the change?

Kokkos
    The results make perfect sense to me. Thanks!
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    DNS servers do not affect download speed.

DNS servers are responsible for translating alphanumeric names into corresponding IP addresses. We all agree on that.

With that said, when the terminating server is pinged, DNS has already been accomplished. Do we all still agree?

Please explain to me how the download that occurs after the server has been pinged, can be influenced from a DNS server thats sole purpose is to translate the alphanumeric name of a given site into a numeric IP so the server can be reached.

Hops has nothing to do with it. Hops are determined by routing tables not DNS.

Now, if we were talking about a general web browsing experience, that would be different because the DNS server is being asked to do numerous lookups over the given session. Even though the actual downloads from the server would not be faster, the servers theoretically could be reached quicker making for an overall zippier experience.

However that is not the case when you pull data off a single server as you do in the speed tests. The host server does not begin measuring speed until after it has been reached and the download has been requested. At this point the DNS has long been done and is out of the equation. In no way can it affect how fast you pull data off of that server.

So, while it is possible for a DNS server to offer a better browsing session (ie multiple transaltions over a given period of time) it is not possible for it to influence the d/l speed of a end point server. By the time that server is talking to your treo, the DNS is done and out of the equation.
    -Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Robber,

I appreciate your thorough and concise explanation being from the telecommunication Industry definitely shows.

I believe we are all on the same page. DNS translates IP's/Domain Names.

All the tests I have done (and continue to do) show a dramatic increase in downloads and browser speeds (all day long). These Static DNS Numbers are running as OPEN/DNS.

I would be interested to know if you have tested these DNS servers yourself?

Even my Slingbox Player is screamingly smooth with quick channel changes.

Since Sprint is automatically provisioning the EDVO DNS numbers can they be somehow "throttling down" the connection link with the DNS servers their providing us with?

I am very happy on the find and will continue top use the Static DNS Numbers.

I have researched and found OPEN/DNS can filter domain name access for marketing but then who doesn't.

Kokkos
    Last edited by Kokkos; 02/16/2007 at 09:54 AM.
    I had the same problem with slow EVDO speeds on my Sprint card and my Treo. I found this thread on changing settings using ##DATA code. These settings worked on the card and the phone. They can affect your speed but I would be careful if you are not comfortable with changing settings like this.
    The site is http://www.evdoforums.com/thread2001.html
    Hope it works for you.
    Jim
  13.    #33  
    I agree. when I was first having problems (9/01/06), I called sprint and thay had me change these settings. I live in kansas city, missouri. my treo was set for omaha, nebraska. he had me change them to the one in kansas city and I gained about 100kbps.
    Last edited by codyppc; 02/16/2007 at 08:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    I had the same problem with slow EVDO speeds on my Sprint card and my Treo. I found this thread on changing settings using ##DATA code. These settings worked on the card and the phone. They can affect your speed but I would be careful if you are not comfortable with changing settings like this.
    The site is http://www.evdoforums.com/thread2001.html
    Hope it works for you.
    Jim
    Great Info! Checking my settings indicates:

Primary: 68.28.185.77 Atlanta, GA Area 5 (speedtest.net says New Orleans)
    Secondary: 68.28.177.76 Fort Worth, TX Area 7

Theses settings indicate the top 2 DNS servers pre-assigned from Sprint are the closest to my location (Houston).

Kokkos
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12