Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    All,

I posting this because this holster/case combo (or just holster) seems to be very popular and Seidio seems very responsive to our concerns (well, at least they listen).

I would like to make a request that these holsters be recalled due to weak clip tension that can cause the Treo to fall out almost at the slightest touch. I do not believe that the tension is strong enough to withstand an accidental brushing of the top of the clip. I understand that ease of insertion and withdrawal is important, but this clip needs to be reinforced with a stronger mechanism.

So far, I have read several posts of devices falling out of the holster. This is most disturbing and now that I actually have one in my possesion, I can definitely see how this can happen.

So, Seidio, what do you think? So Treo Central readers, what do you think?
    Last edited by JGold; 03/23/2007 at 05:32 AM.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I second this motion (and mine hasnt even shown up yet. thats a whole other issue, as far as I have read in the forum so far).

Ill chime in more when mine shows up.
  3.    #3  
    No comment from Seidio?
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    I currently use the rubberized Holster for the naked treo and dont see this issue at all. I have tried knocking it out and it doesnt budge. I wonder if the fit is not as exact using the case and holster combo.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstink View Post
    I currently use the rubberized Holster for the naked treo and dont see this issue at all. I have tried knocking it out and it doesnt budge. I wonder if the fit is not as exact using the case and holster combo.
    It's not the device falling out in itself. It's the issue of the amount of force it takes to release the spring clip. It very easy to nudge it (even by mistake) and allow the device to come out of the holster. As I mentioned before, I know it's a balance between easy of use and protection. However, I do think that the clip can be made to be a little more resistant to a press.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I've ordered the hybrid combo as well so I'll find out first hand. I still think that instead of a spring clip they ought to manufacture a slide in/out ratchet clip holster like RIM does for blackberry. That to me is the superior holster for convenience and security. One like this that can also accommodate a skinned Treo would be absolutely perfect.

http://www.cellphonemall.net/wireles...&phoneid=18071
    Although Seidio is currently on my s#$% list, I have to say that mine is stout. I have the full rubber skin with the holster. It is very easy to put the device/case in the holster. And I cannot, with any force, knock it out. I have to imagine that a real hard hit would probably cause the entire holster/case combo to pop off my belt/waist before it would actually knock the device out of the holster. I have only had mine one day, so we will have to see if the clip maintains its rigidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    It's not the device falling out in itself. It's the issue of the amount of force it takes to release the spring clip. It very easy to nudge it (even by mistake) and allow the device to come out of the holster. As I mentioned before, I know it's a balance between easy of use and protection. However, I do think that the clip can be made to be a little more resistant to a press.
    I understand. It is a fine line between ease-of-use and completely unusable. Maybe im used to spring clips or just used to being careful of knocking into thing. My other PPC Phone had a bad habit of flying off my belt completely. It was due to the actual belt clip being so loose fitting. These spring clips only need a little pressure and they do release so I guess I can see rubbing up and down against something or someone would cause the device to dislodge. My only suggestion would be remove device when going to the strip clubs! I know... Its a serious disquisition for those that feel strongly about this.

I have'nt had any problems yet...
  9.    #9  
    Once again I will say, the issue is NOT the ability to knock the device out of the holster sleeve. THE issue IS the amount of force it takes to release the spring clip.

You guys ever travel on a crowded subway train at rush hour? If you do, you will know that it is nothing for someone to brush up aganst you and have the Treo go flying. Think I am exaggerating? I have seen it happen to Ipods, Blackberries, and pda's that don't have secure cases.

While the clip may not be the best solution for this holster, I do think it can be and should be improved to be a little more resistant to the touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    All,

I posting this because this holster/case combo (or just holster) seems to be very popular and Seidio seems very responsive to our concerns (well, at least they listen).

I would like to make a request that these holsters be recalled due to weak clip tension that can cause the Treo to fall out almost at the slightest touch. I do not believe that the tension is strong enough to withstand an accidental brushing of the top of the clip. I understand that ease of insertion and withdrawal is important, but this clip needs to be reinforced with a stronger mechanism.

So far, I have read several posts of devices falling out of the holster. This is most disturbing and now that I actually have one in my possesion, I can definitely see how this can happen.

So, Seidio, what do you think? So Treo Central readers, what do you think?
    It's impossible to please everyone, but we are very confident that our holster does what it is supposed to do. We've sold thousands upon thousands of the new spring clip design holster with very little complaints. We have no plans at this time to change its design.

Thanks
    would it be possible to get a reply from your store then??? I emailed 2 days ago and haven't heard back from you guys yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by bnycastro View Post
    would it be possible to get a reply from your store then??? I emailed 2 days ago and haven't heard back from you guys yet.
    If you have a product question you may post it here or email me at forums@seidio.com. If you need customer service you can call 832-204-1118. We get hundreds of emails a day and they may just be behind.

Thanks
    I just got mine today and I see your point about the modest amount of force the clip applies to the Treo. Today I dropped my phone three times (I've not dropped since it was purchased in early December). For now I'll consider it a learning curve.

I also noticed that my Treo has about 5 degrees of slip at the top when in the holster. I'll be keeping eye on that

Otherwise, I like the feel and design. I even figured out that you can remove the Treo one handed by pushing the bottom up and then pulling out.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    i was gonna get that holster, i always had questioned the spring...so i decided to go with the SPE Safeguard...and i have not had anything bad to say about it...and i do think it is one of the best Treo holsters there is...
    I bought that holster. Had it one day and the Treo fell out twice with only modest bumping. Both times hitting pavement and causing scratches on all four corners. Stopped using it that same day and went back to using a pouch design. That's a shame since I otherwise really like the design and construction. $30.00 wasted as far as I'm concerned.
    I have the Seidio clip holster for unskinned Treos and I must say that the spring tension of my holster is very stiff. Maybe you guys on the subway need to be more careful to not bump into people. Down here in Houston, where I believe Seidio is based, we dont have issues of bumping into people on crowded subways. But seriously someone would have to really bump my clip just right in order to release the Treo as I feel the spring on my holster is adequate for normal conditions. If they make it any tighter it could possibly put dangerous compressive forces on the fragile touchscreen. Maybe it is just me but with any $500 device I am very careful when handling it. Now watch me drop my Treo today for the first time...
    In my testing I haven't noticed this problem, but I tend to be very cognizant of my environment when my $500 device is on my hip :-p

I can definitely see the concern, but with the holster for skinned treos, the clip always seems to catch in the opening for the vibrate switch. I also wear it horizontally.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ggarrett View Post
    I have the Seidio clip holster for unskinned Treos and I must say that the spring tension of my holster is very stiff. Maybe you guys on the subway need to be more careful to not bump into people.
    Ever been to NY City? Out of the question!

If they make it any tighter it could possibly put dangerous compressive forces on the fragile touchscreen. Maybe it is just me but with any $500 device I am very careful when handling it. Now watch me drop my Treo today for the first time...
    Huh? The clip goes nowhere near the touch screen. If you put the device with the screen in, it's not even an issue.

Apparently, people like DiverGuy had this already happen to them already. Seidio says that they have sold 1000's of these with little complaints. Well, this is the forum to voice complaints!
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Just got it yesterday and love the rubberized paint. They shouldn't call it rubberized because it sounds like some rubber or silicone skin that I hate. They should just call it soft-grip case or something.

The spring clip is okay, but the next few days will be the most telling. I will still profess unequivocally that they need to move to (or at least add) a blackberry-type slip in holster. That to me is the killer case.
    Im still waiting for the Skinned case and holster. But if its anything like the my current "Un-cut/naked" holster I have now, the spring should be fine for me. Does it matter if you are a horizontal or vertical holster wearer?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast