1.    #1  
    I just bought a 700wx and am really, really pleased with EVDO. I'm also pleasantly surprised about how relatively non-clunky WM5 is. I had experiences with the MDA, SDA, and the Dash and found Windows Mobile to be suboptimal. I don't have the same feeling with the 700wx.

While I feel a teeny bit guilty about abandoning my faithful 650 and the Palm OS, I will get over it.

Question for 700wx owners: I would hardly ever use my 650 for music, etc. because the headphone jack was notoriously dainty and prone to breakage. My new 700wx is incredibly sturdy, right? Palm saw this design defect and fixed it, right?

(For good measure and pure hallucination, Palm saw fit to install a 3.5mm jack in the 700wx, right?)
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but..... the headphone jack is very tender. I've been through 2 700wx units already. I'm contemplating a bluetooth headset. If you're going to use a wired headset, be extremely careful not to get the cord hung up on anything that may snag and tug/jerk the cord and/or the phone. You'll end up with, static when the headset jack is turned, sound quality will become horrific, sound will cut in and out, and all other sorts of fun stuff.
    The Rules Change, But The Game Remains The Same
    My first failed just like the 650.
    do you carry it in the pocket? This is something about our Treos that I hate. It won't sit still in my pocket and I'm scared I'll break the jack.

I'd add the Sprint insurance policy to the line just in case. if you don't already have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    do you carry it in the pocket? This is something about our Treos that I hate. It won't sit still in my pocket and I'm scared I'll break the jack.

I'd add the Sprint insurance policy to the line just in case. if you don't already have it.
    funkster is 700% correct. add the Sprint Total Equipment Protection. It is worth it. I'm on my 5th unit, and I haven't paid Sprint one penny for any of the units. It's a $649 piece of equipment. $6 a month is worth it.

I have a holster that holds my Treo horizontally. I know what you mean about it moving around and breaking the jack. My main problem is the cord always getting caught on something. With that in mind, I try to keep the cord close to me. Also, I was thinking about taking the clip I had on a previous headset, and attaching it to the cord of my Treo headset.
    The Rules Change, But The Game Remains The Same
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the input. I don't have insurance yet but I will call today and get it. Heavy sigh. This seems so silly. Mechanical strength for a headphone jack? It has been done, Palm.
    I concur. I've been through 2 700w's as well. The 2.5-3.5 adapter from Radio Shack is the worst offender....It's long and easily breaks the jack.

Get the adapters from Sedio here at TreoCentral...much safer.
  8.    #8  
    Update: I called Sprint and bought the insurance as suggested.

I have a Nano. Mostly I listened to music on my 650 just because I could. Even the Nano's measly 4GB is puny. And I tired of swapping SD cards.

But I plan on listening to music on the 700wx just because I can.

But gee whiz. Mr. Jobs can figure out how to make a sturdy headphone jack. Why not Mr. Palm? Whine whine whine.
    Tasty: try mobsync, it keeps folders synchronized btwn the device (including SD card folders) and PC folders, so you don't have to drag and drop or swap SD cards. It's slow, but I normally only do incremental changes to the card's music selection (podcasts, really).

I have a nano too but I've gotten tired of carrying it around, don't know what's come over me. With the Q, the experience has been much better as it has the headphone jack at the top and no antenna to make it dance.

I also don't use adaptors. I always use stereo headsets that plug directly into the jack.
    I hear ya! I had the same concerns about quality, but to be honest, I haven't had any problems with either my 650 or my 700wx. Of course I, too, have the insurance. Fortunately, I've never had to use it. I look at the insurance as something to keep me unappealing to Mr. Murphy's pranks. Let's hope that remains true.

I use my Treo for almost everything and it stays with me all the time. If there is one thing that I would recommend it is to get a good case for your Treo to protect it. As I'm sure you are aware, a Treo is more like a PDA than a phone and can't stand near as much abuse as a typical mobile phone. Don't ask me why for as much as these things cost that they can't be made more sturdy.

I guess different people have different experiences with their devices. I'm amazed at some of the tales regarding multiple exchanges. I'm glad that hasn't been my experience. I suppose I've been fortunate.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.