Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Just got off the phone with the Palm rep @ the Valley Fair store in Santa Clara (San Jose), CA Palm Store. Nice enough fella who, unfortunately, confirmed the very disturbing news that the 750 they'll sell will indefinately be only sold locked (for $649, and no throw-ins currently) to Cingular.

Indeed, a very bad trend seems to be underway. On the 680 that was originally released in four colors unlocked and one color (Graphite) locked to Cingular, the rep explained this is being entirely reversed. Soon, now, only the Graphite 680 will be available unlocked at a Palm store with Cingular-locked versions in all four colors.

Sounds like Cingular paid Palm a lot of money to **** non-Cingular GSM Treo-ites off. I hope, for Palm's sake, it was a huge sum - because they'll not be getting any money from folks like me again.

So this is my goodbye to this otherwise excellent TreoCentral forum. After I finally dispose of my creaky Treo 600, I'll not have use for visiting here. Maybe catch some of you over on HoFo...

This 680 rumor was stated before, but the colors are still available on Palm's site. I seriously hope there was a BIG mistake on how the rumor got started because if they really are doing that, Cingular is just evil for doing so!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    That's it for me as well. I am tired of Palms shinanigans. Palm will not continue to keeps its customers by giving them them stripped technology and the run around with carrier locks.
    I've been faithful for years but now I can see no way to justify staying on with Palm. There are so many other options now and increasingly more so as time goes on.
    This is goodbye for me as well. I don't post here much but I read it often. I have no use now.
    Whether the rumor is true or not makes no difference to me. It is bad enough that they advertise "available late January" and keep us waiting for a climactic disappointment. No wifi on the 750 was hard to get over. I'm not waiting anymore. I'll probably go with the Nokia n95 when it is comes out.
    Oh yeah, they're really vague about why their web page wasn't correct. I called.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Palm really needs to fix the way it communicates with customers... this kind of crap wears people down after a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    This 680 rumor was stated before, but the colors are still available on Palm's site. I seriously hope there was a BIG mistake on how the rumor got started because if they really are doing that, Cingular is just evil for doing so!!
    Gee... It seems that Cing. . . er... I mean AT&T is flexing their muscles. No surprise really since they are more than 1/2 of the telecommunications industry in the US. How do YOU spell monopoly? I spell it: A T & T
    It wasn't really a rumor, I went on the palm site and the copper was gone before. Now it back. Maybe it was out of stock or maybe it was a mistake on the website...Who knows? I think it was even on boy genius reports or something.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    well you can always buy an unlock from other sources and not direct from palm. I recently had mine unlocked by cingular. They gave me my unlock code after i called in. Pretty easy to do.
    That's true. Personally, I prefer the unlocked ones *with* the ROW ROM. :-) Seems the non-ROW ROM's have weird problems over time -- such as the inability to install the EAS Update.