Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well I would say the 8525 has less problems than the Treo 750. But if you think it's just Palm's incompetence they released a buggy Treo, think again. Go check out the Cingular PDA forums at Howardforums.com and look at the list of problems people complain about on there with the 8525.
    Losing audio. Dropped calls when going from 3G to 2G. And More.

I'm just putting this in perspective. I personally have very few minor problems with my Treo, bugs that I can live with and shouldn't be hard for them to fix in the update.

That is all.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I'll find out in March how bad it really is.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Stability CANNOT COMPARE between the devices. The 750 is a piece of garbage compared to the 8525 in terms of reliability. Whenever I use my 750, it is because of the one-handed ease of use of the phone (which blows away any other wm phone out there, undoubtedly).

My 8525 never freezes. No DSOD. The dropped call issue is the same on the 750, and I have never lost audio. Oh yeah, and the device actually PLAY'S MY REMINDERS in the morning when its time to wake up

I love Treo's. Really, I do. But this 750 is the worst WM treo I've ever had. I'm afraid to install anything onto it, because you never know what is going on in that thing.
    I don't disagree that other devices have issues. But whenever I listen to someone from Palm talk, they brag about their "secret sauce" in how they don't just slap an OS on hardware but add value.

Maybe it's just me, but value adding means testing also. That's what frustrates me. I tried an HTC TyTN months ago and decided it wasn't for me. But I also didn't have any issues like alarms not going off, the device going into loops when connecting via bluetooth, etc.. I didn't have the TyTN nearly as long but I've had issues with the Treo right out of the box I haven't seen on other devices.

You are right about perspective, but alarms not working, call drops, and serious bluetooth problems to me are pretty basic things.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'll find out in March how bad it really is.
    Now don't twist my words. I never said the 8525 was bad. On the contoraray I love the 8525 and not only is it not bad, It's very good (as is the Treo 750.)

All I'm saying is that it has it's share of problems. It's not just Palm/Treo.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I don't disagree that other devices have issues. But whenever I listen to someone from Palm talk, they brag about their "secret sauce" in how they don't just slap an OS on hardware but add value.

Maybe it's just me, but value adding means testing also. That's what frustrates me. I tried an HTC TyTN months ago and decided it wasn't for me. But I also didn't have any issues like alarms not going off, the device going into loops when connecting via bluetooth, etc.. I didn't have the TyTN nearly as long but I've had issues with the Treo right out of the box I haven't seen on other devices.

You are right about perspective, but alarms not working, call drops, and serious bluetooth problems to me are pretty basic things.
    I agree with most of what you say but with regards to the alarms not working, blame M$ not Palm. Since before the OS was called Windows Mobile (called PPC <year>) alarms have been very inconsistent. Even alarms on two of the same device would be inconsistent. Also, one day they work, the next they don't.

No, with regards to alarms and notifcations, I don't fault Palm. The call dropping from 3g to 2g and the strange hard resets that I have had to make when installing applications that I know to work on WM5 (on a KJAM), that's what lies solely on Palm's plate.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Sometimes I think whether I am using the similar Treo 750 as people experiencing problems. I have so far owned Orange M500, Orange C600, i-Mate K-Jam, Samsung Blackjack and Treo 750 (and host of Symbian phones). Out of all these I have found Treo 750 to be the most operational, reliable and less problematic.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I've had to rethink my admiration for my 750 in the past 2 months....while i was/am very excited about getting the phone now i'm just a little dissapointed with the performance of it. Sometimes very slow, won't open programs, won't sync. I haven't experienced dropped calls at all (TMobile) so i can't comment on that. I'm actually on the fence about getting a TyTN (went into the cingular store to look at the 8525 today) and seeing if that might suite my needs/wants, but i can't seem to get to like the form factor.
    I must say, this phone is a big improvement over my 650, but now the question is, is it the right improvement device for me?
  9.    #9  
    There isn't a call dropping issue between 2G-3G that I've heard of or experienced on the Treo 750. That's one of the top complaints and one issue I've experienced on the 8525.
    So far my call reliability as been rock solid on the 750 since I got it on the 11th more reliable than on the 8525 was shabby (it's not.)
    The Treo also goes back to 3G a lot faster and easier than the 8525 which once it falls bach to GSM it likes to stay there until I move to a new cell.

The only reason I posted this is that I get tired of seeing people post about crappy problems with the 750 and how it's all Palm. But go to the cingular forum on Hofo and you'l see there are quite a few comoplaints about it.

I however do not use bluetooth, so granted there are bluetooth issues people mention about the 750 that I've yet to experience. For that there is really no excuse. That stuff should work and bluetooth has never worked without major problems on any Palm product.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    My Treo has been pretty much the same as my 8525 in terms of reliability. The one thing that the Treo does that bothers me is it messes up the volume buttons so pressing them activates the battery status. My 8525 has some quirks too, such as the keyboard no longer responding until I perform a soft reset. All of these PDAphones seem to have some sort of issue. Overall, the Treo has been great and I don't see myself going to any new device anytime soon.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    My Treo has been pretty much the same as my 8525 in terms of reliability. The one thing that the Treo does that bothers me is it messes up the volume buttons so pressing them activates the battery status. My 8525 has some quirks too, such as the keyboard no longer responding until I perform a soft reset. All of these PDAphones seem to have some sort of issue. Overall, the Treo has been great and I don't see myself going to any new device anytime soon.
    That volume battery issue is an spb pocket plus bug. The new beta fixes it.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    That volume battery issue is an spb pocket plus bug. The new beta fixes it.
    Well, I'm not using SPB PP. I have SPB Finance installed though.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    had good experiences with both....but without 3G at the time it just wasn't worth it......and....I
    power-use the multimedia and internet end of it and compared to the 8525....the 750 just fell WAY short of cutting it.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Well, I'm not using SPB PP. I have SPB Finance installed though.
    Yes, I believe I read somehwere it's caused by several SPB applications. Check out spbclub.com and I believe there's a beta with a fix for finanace there as well.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    On the wakeup alarms I agree for the most part (although I never saw this problem on an HTC TyTN). However the Cingular 750 has three times stopped showing calendar alarms. Even though the alarms on the events there is no sound, pop-up nothing. Soft reset and suddenly all the alarms from the past day pop-up at once. I have not seen this on the Vodaphone 750 in over two months, but have seen it three times on the Cingular one. There is clearly a Palm bug here.

Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    I agree with most of what you say but with regards to the alarms not working, blame M$ not Palm. Since before the OS was called Windows Mobile (called PPC <year>) alarms have been very inconsistent. Even alarms on two of the same device would be inconsistent. Also, one day they work, the next they don't.

No, with regards to alarms and notifcations, I don't fault Palm. The call dropping from 3g to 2g and the strange hard resets that I have had to make when installing applications that I know to work on WM5 (on a KJAM), that's what lies solely on Palm's plate.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Now don't twist my words. I never said the 8525 was bad. On the contoraray I love the 8525 and not only is it not bad, It's very good (as is the Treo 750.)

All I'm saying is that it has it's share of problems. It's not just Palm/Treo.
    Go check out the Cingular PDA forums at Howardforums.com and look at the list of problems people complain about on there with the 8525.

This implies it's not up to par with many people. "Bad" is a matter of opinion obviously, but IMO what you mentioned certainly isn't good. It would mean the device is mediocre at best if it keeps dropping audio and calls. I need the phone part to work first before anything else. But I'll find out for myself.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Go check out the Cingular PDA forums at Howardforums.com and look at the list of problems people complain about on there with the 8525.

This implies it's not up to par with many people. "Bad" is a matter of opinion obviously, but IMO what you mentioned certainly isn't good. It would mean the device is mediocre at best if it keeps dropping audio and calls. I need the phone part to work first before anything else. But I'll find out for myself.
    I upgraded the ROM and radio and do not experience those audio issues. Ever. Dropped calls sometimes, but that I believe is a Cingular/3G issue, which I am convinced of since it happened with the 750 just as much.

The 8525 IMO is by far a more "reliable" device. You will not be disappointed. Go out an buy TenGo Thumb (google it) too, I can't say enough about that program in regards to increasing the one-handed usability of the 8525.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    I can't say enough about that program in regards to increasing the one-handed usability of the 8525.
    Been there, done that with a KJAM and SmartsKey, etc, etc. Still doesn't compare to the convenience of the Treo. Something about having to touch the screen to enter information and dial phone numbers......
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Been there, done that with a KJAM and SmartsKey, etc, etc. Still doesn't compare to the convenience of the Treo. Something about having to touch the screen to enter information and dial phone numbers......
    I totally agree, which is why I kept the 750. I just can't rely on it, which is a shame since I could rely on the w/wx (which is a year older obviously). Not sure what Palm was thinking...
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

Agreed, done that as well. There's nothing like getting so damn pissed off when you just want to dial a number in an emergency and having to press a couple of buttons just to get the dialpad! That's why my Wizard (Qtek 9100) is going away soon when my 750 arrives next week!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast