Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    I had been there done that also with the 8125. Smartskey worked to fix the shortcoming, but it wasn't the same. I really came to dislike the 8125 and returned it. I picked up the 8525 a couple of months later and I will have to say, I don't know why, but it was a huge improvement over the 8125. It's as if they fixed ALL of the shortcomings of the 8125.
    The keyboard was 10 times better. And between the buttons on the device and the way the software worked, I found it very easy to operate 1 handed and dial with no problem. Only when I needed to use keyboard letters, which turns out to be a lot, did I get frustrated with having to slide the keybaord as the on-screen soft keyboard just doesn't work with fingers (unless you monkey with a 3rd party solution.) Also with the frequency of my text messaging, I found between the keyboard on the 8525 and the built in text messaging in-box to be very cumbersome.
    Having said that, the 750 seals the deal and takes the one inconvenience of the 8525 (lack of available keyboard) and solves that problem. But it goes beyond that. I also use the keyboard buttons as menu shortcuts further improving the 1-handed experience (like Press Menu-S) to send/receive email.
    The nav cluster in the center of the device makes it even easier to operate also. Then seal the deal with the threaded SMS app and minor reorganizing of the menus, and I simply can't go back to the 8525 no matter how hard I try.
    The only things I miss. The 8525 was faster (performance.) And the smaller Treo screen can be inconvenient sometimes once you get used to the 8525.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva
    This implies it's not up to par with many people. "Bad" is a matter of opinion obviously, but IMO what you mentioned certainly isn't good. It would mean the device is mediocre at best if it keeps dropping audio and calls. I need the phone part to work first before anything else. But I'll find out for myself.
    You've got a point. But name one smartphone or gadget that people don't have a whole bag full of complaints about. It doesn't mean they aren't on-par. Different people experience different problem. Some experience few to no problems, other people seem to find problems that aren't there.

I think the 8525 is very on-par. But it isn't totally problem free. If you try hard enough you'll find something that doesn't work when it should. My experience was that it was quite good. I did have to reset it on occasion just as I do the Treo 750 because it just seems to jam up on something.
    But 99% of the time I had no issues. Come to think of it, I never have to reset the Treo. If I wait long enough whatever was hanging it frees itself up and returns to normal. Somtimes I just reset it for good measure after that.
    I personally don't expect any phone to be trouble free. I haven't owned one cel phone (nokia, moto, you name it) that didn't have at least several issues.

But same can be said about my Treo 750. I have had few problems. 1 dropped call since I got it 3 weeks ago. 1 call answered with no sound. 2 times I went to wake it up and I couldn't unlock the keypad without a reset.
    Other than that, it has been totally reliable.

By posting this thread. I was just trying to drum up some support for the 750 which I've come to really like. I come on here and see the complaints and although I don't experience these problems, I start to feel like I bought a lemon just reading other's experiences. That is until I go read the problems people complain about the 8525, a device I also thought was excellent.
    Then I remember to keep it in perspective. I'd have never bought a Treo 650 if I went on the complaints posted here, but I did and loved it. I have my short list of pet peves about it, but it served me well for 2 years with few problems.
    I'm not bashing the 750, like I said I own one and use it once in a while. But my preference is with the 8525 right now, because of reliability. Of course, if you don't depend on wake-up reminders or alarms then you will be better off than I am with the 750.

The original post implies "If you're not happy with the 750, well, the 8525 isn't so great either" but my rebuttal to that is yes, it has some issues, but it has less issues than the 750! In my everyday use I have practically NO issues with the 8525, except the call drop in a certain area that the 750 experiences them too. Same block every day, basically a "dead-spot" in service.

The problem is I have both devices, and most other people will never bring themselves to own two phones that basically do the same things. Especially since they're not cheap. And if someone were to approach me and ask me which one to buy, I really wouldn't have an answer for them. I prefer the 8525, but I know if the treo was a little more reliable I could change my tune...
    The only complaint I have is that I can see what people mean about the low resolution screen. That's minor. I'm going to put the phone to heavier use next week to see if there are any serious problems.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Stability CANNOT COMPARE between the devices. The 750 is a piece of garbage compared to the 8525 in terms of reliability. Whenever I use my 750, it is because of the one-handed ease of use of the phone (which blows away any other wm phone out there, undoubtedly).

My 8525 never freezes. No DSOD. The dropped call issue is the same on the 750, and I have never lost audio. Oh yeah, and the device actually PLAY'S MY REMINDERS in the morning when its time to wake up

I love Treo's. Really, I do. But this 750 is the worst WM treo I've ever had. I'm afraid to install anything onto it, because you never know what is going on in that thing.
    My 8525 ( both of them ) were junk! both freezed up constantly and I had nly Worldmate and Magic button running on it. My 750 is fantastic. I have had a couple of drop call issues I am trying to resolve but other then that no issues at all.
    That's depressing news bout the TyTN. Guess I'll be waiting for the official unlocked 750 to come to the States(yes it's coming out, but only for Europe as of now).
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    My experience with the 8525 has been superb.
    My experience with the 750 just for most reasons already mentioned.
    Xda developers has a screen brightener hack the icon of which you can put on the today screen which brightens the screen as well as the 650.
    As a power multimedia user the treos make no sense...the Tytn taught me that.
    Those small screens will be a thing of the past with pocket pc's.
    Check out the HTC Libra, Cavalier and especially Kaiser coming later this year.
    I need a phone and SMSer first. I barely use data except for email. I agree the 750 screen is too small for viewing movies. But I'm still a bit worried about the usuabilty of the TyTN. The opening of the keyboard constantly looks cool, but how will it pan out for heavy phone use in the end? This is what I have to worry about before dropping $700(would be nice if the price went down a little too).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12